X-Men First Class

Movie was great. I thought the movie flowed well, and the origins of how the characters developed was well done. I particularly liked how well they pulled off the movie setting back in the 60’s. It was very believable and nailed it in great detail.

They need to do a Magneto movie all on it’s own.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Movie was great. I thought the movie flowed well, and the origins of how the characters developed was well done. I particularly liked how well they pulled off the movie setting back in the 60’s. It was very believable and nailed it in great detail.

They need to do a Magneto movie all on it’s own. [/quote]

They planned a X-men origins: Magneto it was shelved then kind of morphed into this film

I don’t know I felt the story was missing a lot and the characters where just thrown in there except Erik and Charles. I did enjoy the scene for scene reshot of the original X-Men in he concentration camp. All in all I wasn’t thrilled with it but it did have some good moments, cerebro being introduced, Rebecca Stamos’ cameo, the training montage(but a week? Really?). I didn’t hate it like I did X3 but it certainly isn’t my top comic movie, I would put it just over Daredevil but under the Tomas Jane Punisher as far as like factor.

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]farmerson12 wrote:

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

I’m a bit confused why they showed Alex Summers but NOT Cyclops (Scott Summers); he was part of the original X-Men team, after all. Kevin Bacon was great.
[/quote]

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I want to say Alex was separated for awhile from Scott during their teenage and early adult life.[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge, aren’t their certain story arc/writer interpretations where Alex is Scott’s father?[/quote]

This is why I keep going on about the continuity problems. Cyclops was automatically excluded from this movie because he appeared in Wolverine. The wheels were already in motion to develop a First Class movie before the release of Wolverine because the ending shows a de-aged Patrick Stewart meeting the released kids from the Weapon X project, one of whom was Scott.

It seems the original plan was to set First Class after Wolverine, but when Matthew Vaughan decided to move the action back to the '60s and the Cuban missile crisis, using Cyclops was no longer an option.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
I don’t know I felt the story was missing a lot and the characters where just thrown in there except Erik and Charles. I did enjoy the scene for scene reshot of the original X-Men in he concentration camp. All in all I wasn’t thrilled with it but it did have some good moments, cerebro being introduced, Rebecca Stamos’ cameo, the training montage(but a week? Really?). I didn’t hate it like I did X3 but it certainly isn’t my top comic movie, I would put it just over Daredevil but under the Tomas Jane Punisher as far as like factor.[/quote]

I agree with you about the characters looking like they were thrown in.

The fan boy in me was annoyed of the way the characters were out of sequence of time.

I still enjoyed the move.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

They need to do a Magneto movie all on it’s own. [/quote]

They planned a X-men origins: Magneto it was shelved then kind of morphed into this film
[/quote]

It was a good movie. You can tell that Synger basically acted as if the only X-men movie that was made was the first one…the one he last directed I believe (did he do the second one?).

Magneto is an awesome character. They did him true justice here. I sort of wish they had a similar character development arc for Professor X…because when Magneto gets full use of his power, it feels like he earned it.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:
I don’t know I felt the story was missing a lot and the characters where just thrown in there except Erik and Charles. I did enjoy the scene for scene reshot of the original X-Men in he concentration camp. All in all I wasn’t thrilled with it but it did have some good moments, cerebro being introduced, Rebecca Stamos’ cameo, the training montage(but a week? Really?). I didn’t hate it like I did X3 but it certainly isn’t my top comic movie, I would put it just over Daredevil but under the Tomas Jane Punisher as far as like factor.[/quote]

?

The Punisher was a “cute” take on that character and nothing more. Hell, a real Punisher movie would be covered in blood and exposed brain matter. Jane COULD have been a very good punisher with a decent script…but they didn’t have one.

Rating this below Punisher means I should avoid your opinion on any other movie.

Also, I feel like they could have done even more with Magneto when he was first searching for the great Kevin Bacon. He was a perfect killing machine…and I wanted to see more of that training. He could have been James Bond.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

?

The Punisher was a “cute” take on that character and nothing more. Hell, a real Punisher movie would be covered in blood and exposed brain matter. Jane COULD have been a very good punisher with a decent script…but they didn’t have one.

Rating this below Punisher means I should avoid your opinion on any other movie.[/quote]
Mystique fucked over agian
Moria superman 2 forget me kiss
fucking up the beast, he was ok but he is both an athlete and a genius(also he is not the flash fast)
Angel/StacyX(as she was an amalgam of both) so quick to join the brotherhood
Darwin evolves he would have evolved from the blast it’s what he does he spent years in space a vacuum
Also there is a reason certain things can’t be translated from comic to movie wolverines claws placement organic web shooters, yellow spandex. Magneto’s curly q helmet I literally burst out laughing as it looked retarded.
Also a week of training and they where able to achieve almost full mastery of their powers?

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

?

Rating this below Punisher means I should avoid your opinion on any other movie.[/quote]
fucking up the beast, he was ok but he is both an athlete and a genius(also he is not the flash fast)
Darwin evolves he would have evolved from the blast it’s what he does he spent years in space a vacuum
Also there is a reason certain things can’t be translated from comic to movie wolverines claws placement organic web shooters, yellow spandex. Magneto’s curly q helmet I literally burst out laughing as it looked retarded.
Also a week of training and they where able to achieve almost full mastery of their powers? [/quote]

? I hated what they did with Darwin…but he’s black…so I expected him to die. Being black in a movie like this is like wearing a red shirt on Star Trek. They only kept Ohuru.

Yellow spandex? What movie were you watching? You jump on him for changes to the material…but then bitch when he does a damn good job making what becomes Magneto’s helmet…when they already established the damn thing in the first movie but you wanted a new design???

Your complaints sound pretty blind to what was actually good about this movie…which was a decent script that actually flowed well an one of the better origins of a character (Magneto) that really makes me wish they hadn’t made the other movies first.

Magneto made this movie…and to tell the truth…I would probably side with him in the 60’s.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

?

Also a week of training and they where able to achieve almost full mastery of their powers? [/quote]

? I hated what they did with Darwin…but he’s black…so I expected him to die. Being black in a movie like this is like wearing a red shirt on Star Trek. They only kept Ohuru.

Yellow spandex? What movie were you watching? You jump on him for changes to the material…but then bitch when he does a damn good job making what becomes Magneto’s helmet…when they already established the damn thing in the first movie but you wanted a new design???

Your complaints sound pretty blind to what was actually good about this movie…which was a decent script that actually flowed well an one of the better origins of a character (Magneto) that really makes me wish they hadn’t made the other movies first.

Magneto made this movie…and to tell the truth…I would probably side with him in the 60’s.
[/quote]

So what you’re saying is you prefer Malcolm X to King? Gotcha

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

?

[/quote]
I was using the joke from the first X film to say how stuff looks lame on film those horns where so dumb, I didn’t expect Darwin to die I figurted they would explore his character a little more maybe he sacrifices himself to save the others from the missles, angel/stacyx again that was just yeah but wha moment. Finally if my best friend who helped me when I was down fed me accepted me got shot as a result of someone else I would not have left with him I would have tried to cripple him

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

?

[/quote]
I was using the joke from the first X film to say how stuff looks lame on film those horns where so dumb, I didn’t expect Darwin to die I figurted they would explore his character a little more maybe he sacrifices himself to save the others from the missles, angel/stacyx again that was just yeah but wha moment. Finally if my best friend who helped me when I was down fed me accepted me got shot as a result of someone else I would not have left with him I would have tried to cripple him[/quote]

I think it sucks he left Professor X on the ground as well and that wasn’t what I was referring to.

The simple fact is, they did a good job with this. This was NOT the bullshit that was the third movie.

This was NOT some light hearted take on the characters.

By setting them in the 60’s, even some of the costumes made more sense (like Emma Frost’s “Bond Girl” look). They really dug into that “MLK vs X” vibe but could have done much more.

Magneto needed his own movie. They also should have had the balls to make this the first time and stick to the continuity better…but they already screwed that up.

The “yellow spandex” line was never a joke. It was Bryan Singer’s way of explaining why he used leather instead of referencing the classic color scheme and design of the costumes - because that would’ve been too far fetched. I always hated that line, not just because people quote it ad nauseum, but there are a couple of notable examples floating around that say otherwise…

And more recently…

[quote]roybot wrote:
The “yellow spandex” line was never a joke. It was Bryan Singer’s way of explaining why he used leather instead of referencing the classic color scheme and design of the costumes - because that would’ve been too far fetched. I always hated that line, not just because people quote it ad nauseum, but there are a couple of notable examples floating around that say otherwise…

1[/quote]
It was a sarcastic comment that I found funny because ultimately many comic characters would look stupid if you did a direct translation of their suit to a live action movie

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

?

[/quote]
I was using the joke from the first X film to say how stuff looks lame on film those horns where so dumb, I didn’t expect Darwin to die I figurted they would explore his character a little more maybe he sacrifices himself to save the others from the missles, angel/stacyx again that was just yeah but wha moment. Finally if my best friend who helped me when I was down fed me accepted me got shot as a result of someone else I would not have left with him I would have tried to cripple him[/quote]

I think it sucks he left Professor X on the ground as well and that wasn’t what I was referring to.

The simple fact is, they did a good job with this. This was NOT the bullshit that was the third movie.

This was NOT some light hearted take on the characters.

By setting them in the 60’s, even some of the costumes made more sense (like Emma Frost’s “Bond Girl” look). They really dug into that “MLK vs X” vibe but could have done much more.

Magneto needed his own movie. They also should have had the balls to make this the first time and stick to the continuity better…but they already screwed that up.[/quote]
Yes he does and until recently they had X-Men origins Magneto planned. Really this was pretty close to a Magneto stand alone film.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

1[/quote]
It was a sarcastic comment that I found funny because ultimately many comic characters would look stupid if you did a direct translation of their suit to a live action movie[/quote]
Case in point, rubber ears for Cap

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

1[/quote]
It was a sarcastic comment that I found funny because ultimately many comic characters would look stupid if you did a direct translation of their suit to a live action movie[/quote]

The line of dialogue in the movie wasn’t intended to be sarcastic though. It was a direct jab at the comic book costumes. Not an affectionate ribbing, it was a full-on dismissal. That’s why I hate the quote.

“What did you expect, yellow spandex?” was just as much directed at the fanboys who bought tickets and expected at least some semblance of the comic costumes as to Logan, who Cyclops delivered the line to.

^Edited for accuracy.

This was before Nolan took on Batman. Now people see it as a in-joke because of Nolan’s movies but it was never intended that way. We are not talking about a direct translation of the comic costumes. The references were minimal until Matthew Vaughan went back to the comics.

Costumes are a strange thing to criticize when you consider pretty much every other deviation from the comics as a weakness…

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

1[/quote]

The line of dialogue in the movie wasn’t intended to be sarcastic though. It was a direct jab at the comic book costumes. Not an affectionate ribbing, it was a full-on dismissal. That’s why I hate the quote.

“What did you expect, yellow spandex?” was just as much directed at the fanboys who bought tickets and expected at least some semblance of the comic costumes as to the actor Hugh Jackman delivered the line to.

This was before Nolan took on Batman. Now people see it as a in-joke because of Nolan’s movies but it was never intended that way. We are not talking about a direct translation of the comic costumes. The references were minimal until Matthew Vaughan went back to the comics.

Costumes are a strange thing to criticize when you consider pretty much every other deviation from the comics as a weakness… [/quote]
Umm I always took it as a joke not a dismissal regardless of what his lord Nolan says. Fanboy and proud since 1986(Captain America 339 Fall of the Mutants crossover with The Captain fighting Famine it ends with Tony Stark giving Steve a pure adamantium sheild which he later gives back becasue it was a bribe to stay out of Tony’s way during Armor Wars). Some of fanboys can take a joke