X Games Crash & Burn

Did anyone see that bail that Jake Brown had in the Big Air event?

I can’t believe he’s not dead. That was hard to watch. That was most definitely the most spectacular display of “eating it” that I’ve ever seen. And after he’d pulled the first ever 720 at Big Air.

Man, am I glad he’s alive.

On another note, the double backflip was soooo there for Murray, if he could have just gotten a little more speed coming into the ramp. I feel bad for him, having no real sponsors and towing his own ramp and bike all the way to the LA, only to have to bail on a retry b/c his bike is totaled.

That was almost a Cinderella moment–never competed, no sponsor, pulls a historical trick. Man I feel bad for him.

Damnit, I completely forgot this was on last night. As for Murray, I don’t think he’ll be without a sponsor very soon if he almost pulled off the double backflip. Sponsors would be stupid to not sign him if he could do that on his own.

I saw it. I was guessing his score after he nailed the 720 on the jump. But when I saw the board go one way and him another - I got a sick feeling.

I am not a skateboarder, so I am not familiar with just how crazy the wrecks can be - but this kid fell around 40 feet, and walked out of the pipe. I thought he was dead. He should have been dead. Most people that hurl themselves out of a 4 story window would be dead.

Did you see his shoes fly off his feet, and just how far the flew?

That was an incredible wreck.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Damnit, I completely forgot this was on last night. As for Murray, I don’t think he’ll be without a sponsor very soon if he almost pulled off the double backflip. Sponsors would be stupid to not sign him if he could do that on his own.[/quote]

He had the double back. He just needed a little more speed, and a little more hill.

It was cool to see him sitting there with all the highly sponsored riders, their paid for bikes, and fancy gear.

He was wearing an old shirt with hand written scrawling on it, and a pair of regular leather work gloves.

He was reported to be crying because HE felt he owed the fans more than a 'half-assed" attempt. You can’t help but pull for a guy like that.

Wiiiiild!

“What are they built from in Sydney, Australia that he just walked away from that?”

That about sums up that crash, no way he should be walking after he landed like that. If they would’ve shown the replay before showing him walking, I’d have thought his tailbone was destroyed.

His shoes repelled off of his feet.

He must be on the juice!!11!!1!11!!!1!!!111!!!11!1

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
He must be on the juice!!11!!1!11!!!1!!!111!!!11!1[/quote]

Definitely. Aren’t all athletes?

I think the big air event is pretty damn cool but how long before someone dies?

It was unbelievable. After the way his shoes flew off I thought for sure you’d see his feet mangled at the ankles from the fall. I bet he’s sore as hell today.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I saw it. I was guessing his score after he nailed the 720 on the jump. But when I saw the board go one way and him another - I got a sick feeling.

I am not a skateboarder, so I am not familiar with just how crazy the wrecks can be - but this kid fell around 40 feet, and walked out of the pipe. I thought he was dead. He should have been dead. Most people that hurl themselves out of a 4 story window would be dead.

Did you see his shoes fly off his feet, and just how far the flew?

That was an incredible wreck. [/quote]

“Incredible” doesn’t quite do it justice my friend. That was sickening. I actually couldn’t watch it the first 3 or 4 times I saw it and the replays.

I have two words for Jake–GUARDIAN ANGEL.

I have to wonder just exactly when thrill seeking/bravery intersect with insanity whenever I watch the X Games. But man, I love them. The Games are right at that point where machine and man (or board and man) mold together into one sentient cyborg. The things they do are incredible–case in point best trick.

Even though I bet a lot of them don’t lift very often, I don’t think anyone could argue that they aren’t athletes in every sense of the word. I kept thinking what kind of ability it would take to force a recovery on a 150-200 lb motorbike in a back flip/stripper or back flip/shaolin when you’re looking at the ground. The extension on the stripper move was absolutely sick. I’m so watching them tonight.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Doug Adams wrote:
Damnit, I completely forgot this was on last night. As for Murray, I don’t think he’ll be without a sponsor very soon if he almost pulled off the double backflip. Sponsors would be stupid to not sign him if he could do that on his own.

He had the double back. He just needed a little more speed, and a little more hill.

It was cool to see him sitting there with all the highly sponsored riders, their paid for bikes, and fancy gear.

He was wearing an old shirt with hand written scrawling on it, and a pair of regular leather work gloves.

He was reported to be crying because HE felt he owed the fans more than a 'half-assed" attempt. You can’t help but pull for a guy like that. [/quote]

Ditto that. That was my favorite moment even though he had to bail. He was going to try it again, but his bike was SHREDDED and his engine was blown, so he didn’t get a shot at redemption. I hope he’s back next year. Talk about desire.

Its too bad Danny Way couldnt comepete this year, being that the Big Air is his event.

That said, I thought for sure Brown was down and out, not necessarily dead, but out cold for sure. I’m guessing his tailbone is messed up even if he looked to be okay initially. He hit on his feet, but then BAM right onto his ass.

It was really too bad because he was the 2nd to last to go, and he nails the freakin 720 which had everyone going nuts, and then the board got wobbly on him.

Big Air is absolutely insane, I cant imagine dropping in to that ramp… Flying 75 feet, and then sailing 20 feet into the air above a 30 foot ramp to land another trick.

BTW - What the hell was with the aerial taking 1st place in the Moto X… I guess judges are tired of the blackflip tricks, huh? I thought Potter should have won myself.

He ate his vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea

I thought he was dead when I saw it live. So frickin’ scary, especially the way his shoes went flying after he hit the ramp. I don’t know how he got up and walked away from that.

And yeah, what a great story Murray was. Too bad he couldn’t hit the jump, but he earned a lot of respect in the process.

I don’t do any of the X Games sports, but I respect the hell out of the guys and gals that compete, and it’s also a lot of fun to watch.

That was incredible. Looks like his helmet saved his skull. He landed at the very end of the transition and slid out, which probably saved him some bone crushing injury, but the way his head smacked was just dastardly.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

BTW - What the hell was with the aerial taking 1st place in the Moto X… I guess judges are tired of the blackflip tricks, huh? I thought Potter should have won myself.[/quote]

I dunno. The body burial was cool for sure–no tricks that I’ve seen involve you moving off the SIDE of the bike and losing contact with it…but I agree. No way it deserved 94 with the others getting so much lower. I liked both the stripper and shaolin for the wins.

I think that perhaps the judges missed the crazy extensions in both of those tricks since they don’t get any replay system to review the mechanics of the tricks afterwards. I can’t believe that the outcome would have been the same if they had seen the full detail we (the audience) were privy to on replay.

I didnt know the judges didnt have a replay feature… For sure Potters second throw was 1st place material in my opinion.

Onward to BMX Big air… I wont give any spoilers for those who havent seen it, but the gold medalist was simply untouchable, he just kept going bigger and bigger until he NAILED that hyyyooooggeee no handed flair at almost 20 feet, unreal.

I freakin love the x-games.

Not since the Fedor-Randleman supplex have I been so sure that someone might be in extreme danger of getting paralyze from a fall. Very smart of him to tilt his head,Im very glad hes ok. Respect.