WW-II Vets are Leaving Us

“…We few…we happy few…We Band of Brothers…”

Latest statistics put the numbers at about 2.5 million left…with the loss of about 900 per day. The ones who were the YOUNGEST during that time are now in their late 80’s.

These men and women answered the call.

If you know one, take them out to lunch…visit them at the VA or wherever they may reside.

Listen to their stories…and before you leave say “thanks…”

Mufasa

You’re welcome, Push…

What this all means is that in less than 7 years, “The Greatest Generation” will no longer be with us.

Mufasa

“The hardest thing to do is send men that you love and work with out to fight and die. But they did it, and they won.”
— General George S. Patton Jr (speaking, and near tears)

My dad is a WWII vet and I saw him yesterday for his 92nd birthday, which is actually today, 5/25. He is still proud of what he and his fellow airmen did. He was stationed in north Africa and later in Italy. He was with the 15th Air Force 461st Bomb Squadron which flew B24s.

He’s moving slowly these days but in basically good health considering a stroke 9 years ago. He remembers EVERYTHING about his war years, he was also a Korean War vet having served in the reserves.

I doubt he has 7 years left in him, but we make sure that we see him for his birthday and get him to talk about the war years. Lots of guys right next to him never made it home. Just about all of the people I knew that came back in 1945 are willing to sit down and share their experiences about those days.

BG

My grandfather, who will turn 90 and turned wrenches on B-29s in Saipan, doesn’t talk about it all that much. But that’s pretty much due to his attitude. Even now if he’s got a job to do, he just puts his mind to it and gets it done. I like to think that he passed this trait to me, although it doesn’t always show. lol

Throughout my childhood he was the most prominent male figure in my life, and I’m thankful for having him in it.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
You’re welcome, Push…

What this all means is that in less than 7 years, “The Greatest Generation” will no longer be with us.

Mufasa[/quote]

Indeed, and I too appreciate this thread. My grandfather was a WWII vet who was buried with full military honors when I was five. I remember it like it was yesterday. The ceremony, the 21 gun salute and the white gloved soldier that respectfully handed my grandmother the folded flag that draped his coffin. She displayed it until her death a few years ago.

A squadron of P-47 Thunderbolts flew over our house earlier and it literally brought tears to my eyes and gave me goosebumps.

A feeble, but heartfelt thank you to all those who have fought, died and been maimed so people they would never know could be free.

I see them frequently with my job. In Canada most all of them have Veteran lisence plates. I always take the time to thank them. What surprises me the most is how surprised and humbled they are to be thanked. They in a class all of their own, I will never forget the sacrifices they made, so I can do the things so many take for granted.

The beginning of “Saving Private Ryan” brings tears to my eyes everytime. Even now just thinking about it gets me going.

My grandmother used to tell me stories about WW2 days. When Hitler invaded and took over Rome, many people fled to the hills. They made little camps for shelter there while the Germans occupied the city of Rome. She would tell me how US troops who were advancing north from Sicily would come into these camps looking for food, shelter, etc. They would give them whatever they could spare (potatoes, bread, cheese, water, wine, etc).

When the Germans finally left and the American tanks went thundering through the streets while US troops would throw Hershey chocolate bars to the people as a part of the celebration. Man, that is some shit that I will never find in any text book.

Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart

Thank God for freedom? nonono
Thank the Yankee GI for it.

@Tiribulus: I also become like a big crying pussy when I see Spitfires flying in the air.

[quote]Erasmus wrote:

[/quote]

Well that hurts, there were Allied forces involved. Their young never came home either.

[quote]streamline wrote:
Erasmus wrote:

Well that hurts, there were Allied forces involved. Their young never came home either.[/quote]

2% of all Allied losses were American.

2%.

But that made all the difference.

Because when Americans die, Angels weep.

Russians, Vietnamese, Iraquis, Angels barely notice.

One of our church members entered Normandy as part of the amphibious assault on the day after D-Day and was later wounded at the Battle of the Bulge. He’s suffered foot pain from being wounded since that time. I sit and talk with him whenever I can. We had several other WWII veterans in our church at the time who were always willing to talk about the war, but they’ve mostly passed away now. Listening to them was time well spent.

My wife interviewed several of the WWII vets. She recorded their stories and transcribed the recordings so that their memories wouldn’t be lost. The families always appreciated getting the written versions of the stories they’d heard for so many years.

[quote]orion wrote:
streamline wrote:
Erasmus wrote:

Well that hurts, there were Allied forces involved. Their young never came home either.

2%.

[/quote]

Do you work … hard… at missing the point sometimes? Everything is not a spreadsheet.

[quote]orion wrote:
streamline wrote:
Erasmus wrote:

2%.

[/quote]

So we can’t honor OUR OWN Countrymen? We must also take into account other veterans of other countries when discussing US Vets?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
orion wrote:
streamline wrote:
Erasmus wrote:

2%.

So we can’t honor OUR OWN Countrymen? We must also take into account other veterans of other countries when discussing US Vets?

[/quote]

Of course you can.

Especially the ones who fought in the last war that kind of made sense.

Even though they went there forced at gunpoint they did a decent job.

What you cannot do is claim that you “owe your liberty” to the GI´s.

The moderate amount of liberty you still have, you owe at least 5 times more to illiterate Russian peasants whipped into service by commissars.

[quote]orion wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
orion wrote:
streamline wrote:
Erasmus wrote:

2%.

Of course you can.

Especially the ones who fought in the last war that kind of made sense.

Even though they went there forced at gunpoint they did a decent job.

What you cannot do is claim that you “owe your liberty” to the GIÃ?´s.

The moderate amount of liberty you still have, you owe at least 5 times more to illiterate Russian peasants whipped into service by commissars.

[/quote]

Oh pleeeease.