Wuh? 'The Donald'?

Okay…

I know Polls this far out have little meaning to eventual outcomes.

With that being said, recent Polls show Trump running a close SECOND to Bush, with no other contender even in double digits.

So I pose these NON-rhetorical questions to “PWI”:

Why is Trump even in serious consideration? Is he REALLY that popular among voters…or is it his “F*uck You” attitude/Stick it to the President-“MSLM” schtick?

Is it because he is out of the gates “fast-and-furious”, while others (like Walker) have been tentative?

What exactly is it?

Personally, I’m at a loss…

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
or is it his “F*uck You” attitude

Is it because he is out of the gates “fast-and-furious”,

Mufasa[/quote]

Both those.

He won’t win a single state in the primary.

Trump is up in polls because he is sternly saying things Americans want to hear, in real language. The problem is, I don’t think he actually believes the things he says, just playing to his audience. He donated more money to Democrats in the past ten years than Republicans. He proposed this plan in 1999 Trump proposes massive one-time tax on the rich - November 9, 1999 which sounds familiar doesn’t it.

I think that other candidates can learn from Trump by speaking directly and firmly and not trying to “soften” their positions. When they say something that gets the media’s panties in a bunch, don’t back down, stand by it. We need a candidates to act more like Democrats (I know it sounds weird).

Not in principle or policy, but in fighting for their side. Does Obama ever concede or compromise? Republicans need to have a candidate that does the same, but for the right. Trump at least ACTS like he is willing to fight, that’s why he polls well with the people.

I think it’s just early name recognition for the most part. I sorta like his brash attitude. I get the same vibe from Fiorina too. I’m not sure I’d want a POTUS like that though.

I doubt that he will get the nomination, but wouldn’t a Trump vs. Clinton general election be fun?

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
I doubt that he will get the nomination, but wouldn’t a Trump vs. Clinton general election be fun? [/quote]

Yeah but its not worth the 4 years of hillary afterwards.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]OldOgre wrote:
I doubt that he will get the nomination, but wouldn’t a Trump vs. Clinton general election be fun? [/quote]

Yeah but its not worth the 4 years of hillary afterwards.[/quote]

Seriously, Trump vs. Clinton is like voting on whether to be kicked in the nuts or punched in throat. Happily, even if Trump somehow become more than a sideshow his campaign would implode around some bat-shit thing or things he is guaranteed to say.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
Seriously, Trump vs. Clinton is like voting on whether to be kicked in the nuts or punched in throat. [/quote]

I’d be willing to bet a lot of money that, contrary to what might be offered hereabouts – “I don’t like his style but he’s speaking the truth,” “I don’t agree with everything but he’s a straight talker,” “anything is better than Hillary” – the vast majority of PWI would get into the voting booth, picture Donald Trump with the nuclear football, and emphatically vote for Hillary Clinton.

Not that we have to worry, though, because there is a better chance of a Herman Cain comeback surprise.

Trump has name and hair recognition second to none.

Unfortunately, it also shows the overall weakness of the Republican line-up. The Republicans have 14 candidates at last count, the Democrats have 4.

I don’t think it bodes well that there is no obvious Repub choice.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]OldOgre wrote:

Yeah but its not worth the 4 years of hillary afterwards.[/quote]

Yep.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
or is it his “F*uck You” attitude

Is it because he is out of the gates “fast-and-furious”,

Mufasa[/quote]

Both those.

He won’t win a single state in the primary. [/quote]

Agreed. Refreshing rhetoric does not, to the white house lead. He’s getting a bump but he will fade just as fast.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Okay…

With that being said, recent Polls show Trump running a close SECOND to Bush, with no other contender even in double digits.

Why is Trump even in serious consideration? Is he REALLY that popular among voters…or is it his “F*uck You” attitude/Stick it to the President-“MSLM” schtick?

Is it because he is out of the gates “fast-and-furious”, while others (like Walker) have been tentative?

What exactly is it?

Mufasa[/quote]

Why Mufasa I do agree with you that Trump seems a bit out of his element. Yet, a scant 7 years ago you were not at all amazed that an inexperienced far left wing, two year Senator with absolutely no real world experience and in fact a person who never even held a real job in the private sector was running for President.

I guarantee you that Trump’s views are far more in line with the main stream electorate than the Saul Alinsky protégé Barack Obama.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

I don’t think it bodes well that there is no obvious Repub choice.[/quote]

Why? See 1980 Republican primary race.

[quote]Alrightmiami19c wrote:

[/quote]

You make a very good point and one that I have been beating the table about on these very threads.

Most around here are simply too young to be aware of the many candidates who ran for the republican nomination back in 1980. And out of that race came Ronald Reagan with George H.W. Bush as his VP. Not a bad combination and one that won two consecutive terms, one by a record landslide.

But this particular field of candidates is even more impressive! Multiple Governors and Senators each with more experience and achievements than Obama when he ran. And all more qualified than scandal girl Hillary Clinton.

And don’t forget the three wild card candidates two from the world of business and one from medicine.

Honestly the best field of republican candidates that I’ve ever seen.

I must say though Trump is saying some crazy stuff. Like stop illegal aliens from crossing the border. And that Mexico is not sending us their best and brightest. Hold on…that’s not so crazy is it? In fact, Obama allowing millions of illegals and preventing border states like Texas from stopping them–NOW THAT’S CRAZY!

[quote]Alrightmiami19c wrote:

[/quote]

I looked at the candidates and stand by my statement, lol. In sports terms, that was a deep, deep bench.

Not one real estate developer, pediatrician, deposed CEO, or one-term Governor in the bunch.*

And if Walker and Kasich declare, the field will be up to 16.

Lastly, the Republicans were running against Jimmy Carter who is widely acknowledged to be the weakest Democratic President since…who? Wilson? Van Buren? Any one of the top 6 Republicans could have beat Carter. We can’t say the same about the current field.

*Except for Stassen who entered every primary for 40 years.

Since it seems like there’s some interest in the topic, here’s my position:

The relatively large number of Republican candidates in 1980 was a reaction to a historically weak Democratic candidate. Whoever won the primary had an excellent chance of becoming President.

The large number of Republican candidates today is a reaction to the overall weakness of the Republican ticket.

What about pretending to have to assume that not all Mexican immigrants are rapists is “fresh”? Exactly how difficult is it to speak for twenty minutes without saying something racist or stupid?

I have said it before about other things, and I’ll say it again now: It just might be possible that conservatives will find a way to publicly autofellate their stupidest tendencies with such vigor as to – against all odds – lose the White House in 2016. Keep up this nonsense, this weird impulse to weirdly praise a guy like Donald Trump, and it will happen – and I’ll be back to rub it in despite the fact that I want a Republican (but, you know, an actual statesman rather than a parody of a satire of a psycho-clown) to win.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Okay…

What exactly is it?

Mufasa[/quote]

Why Mufasa I do agree with you that Trump seems a bit out of his element. Yet, a scant 7 years ago you were not at all amazed that an inexperienced far left wing, two year Senator with absolutely no real world experience and in fact a person who never even held a real job in the private sector was running for President.

I guarantee you that Trump’s views are far more in line with the main stream electorate than the Saul Alinsky protÃ?©gÃ?© Barack Obama.
[/quote]

You just can’t help yourself, can you Zeb?

Mufasa

[quote]smh_23 wrote:
What about pretending to have to assume that not all Mexican immigrants are rapists is “fresh”? Exactly how difficult is it to speak for twenty minutes without saying something racist or stupid?

I have said it before about other things, and I’ll say it again now: It just might be possible that conservatives will find a way to publicly autofellate their stupidest tendencies with such vigor as to – against all odds – lose the White House in 2016. Keep up this nonsense, this weird impulse to weirdly praise a guy like Donald Trump, and it will happen – and I’ll be back to rub it in despite the fact that I want a Republican (but, you know, an actual statesman rather than a parody of a satire of a psycho-clown) to win.[/quote]

Agree.

And I’ll say it now and for the next year and a half…

Hillary is going to be Hillary.

This election is for the GOP to win or lose.

Mufasa