T Nation

I was shooting the shit with another student at the gym yesterday, talking about training, school etc. He tells me that he has started training his calves everyday on the advice of a prof. This prof., a PhD candidate no less, told him that the muscle tissue in the calves and forearms is denser and can therefore be trained everyday. WTF? I thought this line on thinking was obsolete. Please somebody tell me that this is not true and that I'm not slowly going insane!

Maybe his PHD is in 1980's muscle magazine training theory.

although many people wouldn't recommend it, the professor was correct when talking about density in the calves. Think about how much you walk/climb stairs/stand around every day of the week compared to how many times you military press an object over your head.

Refer to my "100 Reps to Bigger Muscles" article for a better understanding.

As a matter of fact I seem to remember reading something on this very site that said the calves could be trained more often because they recover better/faster. I don't know about every day, though--- that does seem a bit excessive.

I've read that smaller muscle groups can be trained more frequently but not every day with mod-heavy loads.

Chad: Thanks for your response I had another look at your article, which I have to admit I only skimmed when it first appeared on the site. If I'm reading it right your seem to be advocating daily endurance work in order the increase capillary density and improve recovery. I have no problem with the article, but I don't think it supports what this prof was saying. First of all he wasn't talking about light endurance work, without muscular failure. The student I spoke to was doing hypertrophy style workout (8-12 reps). Also in your article, there is no mention of this type of training being beneficial only to certain body parts. This prof was saying that calves/forearms were unique in their ability to handle daily training. Now in fairness, I only got this profs comments second hand, from this other student. It is entirely possible that this student misunderstood what he was being told.