WTF, Safeway?!?!?! (Pt. 2)

Safeway apologizes after 4-year-old is banned for life

Apparently Safeway would rather open cans of worms than clean up open snacks.

Yes, the grocery chain that brought us the pregnant-mom-shoplifter-brouhaha in October is now apologizing for an incident in a Washington State store where a guard banned for life a derelict who opened a bag of dried apricots, took out a few to eat and returned said bag to the shelf.

The criminal: A 4-year-old girl.

Here’s the account from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

[quote]Savannah’s dad didn’t notice his daughter’s sticky fingers, but a store security guard did.

The guard stopped the pair as they left the store and led them back to a break room.

“He proceeded to tell them ‘Your daughter stole and she’s banned from the store, and we’re pressing charges. And she needs to sign this form saying she understands she can’t come into any Safeways,’” Alissa Jones [Savannaha’s mother] said.

Savannah can’t read or write, but the guard, who Safeway hires under contract, had her scribble on the paper just the same."[/quote]

The Post posted an Associated Press story on Thanksgiving that said Safeway corporate officials have apologized and since fired the guard: “Our policies on shoplifting are intended to protect our customers, but built on common sense. And everyone understands what common sense is,” said company spokesperson Cherie Myers.

Well, not exactly. “Common sense” means different things to different people.

This is the second high-profile apology from Safeway in the last few weeks, after a guard in one of its Hawaii stores confronted and pressed charges against two parents who had been shopping with their toddler. The mother was 30 weeks pregnant at the time and claimed that hunger and fatigue had prompted her to munch on a sandwich and forget to pay for it. The couple was arrested anyway. Worse, they lost custody of their toddler for the night.

[i] “He proceeded to tell them 'Your daughter stole and she’s banned from the store, and we’re pressing charges. And she needs to sign this form saying she understands she can’t come into any Safeways,” Alissa Jones [Savannah’s mother] said.

Savannah can’t read or write, but the guard, who Safeway hires under contract, had her scribble on the paper just the same."[/i]

LOL

The world should just ban kids. That’ll solve all these ‘common sense’ issues.

[quote]gregron wrote:
[i] “He proceeded to tell them 'Your daughter stole and she’s banned from the store, and we’re pressing charges. And she needs to sign this form saying she understands she can’t come into any Safeways,” Alissa Jones [Savannah’s mother] said.

Savannah can’t read or write, but the guard, who Safeway hires under contract, had her scribble on the paper just the same."[/i]

LOL[/quote]

weren’t you one of the ones saying Safeway did the right thing with the pregnant lady?

[quote]overstand wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

LOL[/quote]

weren’t you one of the ones saying Safeway did the right thing with the pregnant lady?[/quote]

What does that have to do with my laughing at the security guard having a kid who cant read or write sign a form saying she understands that she’s banned?

and no, I didnt say that Safeway handled that pregnant lady situation correctly.

After the last incident (with the pregnant lady and the sandwiches) Safeway should have immediatley passed along memos and incorporated extra training for all of their loss prevention and security staff so the could avoid such shitstorms in the future.

Even if they hadn’t, the guard in this incident is an ass and was rightfully fired.

At the store I work for, any shoplifter we catch under the age of 16 requires the signature of a parent or guardian on our trespass forms, and we never outright ban kids, but allow shoplifting children back in only with parental supervision.

Furthermore, as with the other case, we gotta practice judgment with each case, which includes being able to practice common sense when young children are involved. With a 4-year-old? Simply let the parent know what we saw the kid doing so the parent can address it. In these situations, I (working undercover) would let a store manager know so they can talk to the parent while still in the store, instead of ambushing them at the exit after they’ve bought their other groceries.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
OP, please change the thread title to WTF Safeway Pt. 2?!?!?![/quote]

Haha, I tried but I think I might need a mod’s assistance.