T Nation

WTF is Wrong with Ohio?

In the news today:

Story One

BLUE ASH, Ohio �?? Police in Ohio say an 89-year-old woman is facing a charge of petty theft because neighborhood children accuse her of refusing to give back their football.

Edna Jester was arrested last week in the Cincinnati suburb of Blue Ash.

Police say one child’s father complained that Jester kept the youngsters’ ball after it landed in her yard. Police Capt. James Schaffer says there has been an ongoing dispute in the neighborhood over kids’ balls landing in the woman’s yard.

Jester said Monday she has received many calls and didn’t have time to discuss the matter any more.

Jester is to appear in court next month. The maximum penalty for a petty theft conviction in Ohio is six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=10295872&ch=4226713&src=news

Story Two

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) �?? The driver of a dump truck that struck and killed an Ohio school crossing guard as she was protecting a young boy has been sentenced to six days in jail.
George Watkins pleaded no contest Monday to a misdemeanor charge of vehicular homicide. A judge sentenced him to five years’ probation.

Police say the 40-year-old Watkins was driving his dump truck in April when he struck Dianna Sharp in front of an elementary school.

A witness said the 41-year-old Sharp was struck as she tried to protect an 8-year-old boy from being hit. The boy was seriously injured.

Watkins told police he didn’t see the woman and the boy in the crosswalk.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-10-20-crossingguard-death_N.htm?csp=34

What is wrong with justice in Ohio?

Dayum.

Sounds like South Africa - people getting 6 months for rape and murder, and others getting maximum sentences for smaller offences.

It’s nasty of the old woman to keep the football, but I think I would go ahead and hand in my nutsack if I ever called the police over some petty shit like that.

Who is John Galt?

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
It’s nasty of the old woman to keep the football, but I think I would go ahead and hand in my nutsack if I ever called the police over some petty shit like that.[/quote]

Furthermore, there’s no way she deserved to be arrested for that.

Isn’t Ohio where the secretary of state (D) got a brewing case over voter fraud thrown out because she claims it would scare people away from voting? Yet they prosecute old ladies for footballs. Awesome.

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
It’s nasty of the old woman to keep the football, but I think I would go ahead and hand in my nutsack if I ever called the police over some petty shit like that.

Furthermore, there’s no way she deserved to be arrested for that.[/quote]

Yeah. The cops must have been pretty fucking bored to take something like that serious.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
timbofirstblood wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
It’s nasty of the old woman to keep the football, but I think I would go ahead and hand in my nutsack if I ever called the police over some petty shit like that.

Furthermore, there’s no way she deserved to be arrested for that.

Yeah. The cops must have been pretty fucking bored to take something like that serious.[/quote]

Maybe she has a “criminal record”.

Welcome to the New World Order.

[quote]Bondslave wrote:
Isn’t Ohio where the secretary of state (D) got a brewing case over voter fraud thrown out because she claims it would scare people away from voting? Yet they prosecute old ladies for footballs. Awesome.[/quote]

It is also the state where the previous Secretary Of State ®, who was in charge of the voting in Ohio, was also the chairman of George W Bush’s re-election campaign in Ohio.

Don’t believe me? Look it up.

BTW, I live in Ohio.

In the first story, that is just retarded. Enough said.

On the second story, they aren’t reporting the full situation, I remember this being on our news when it happened. The kid stepped out into the road in front of the dump truck. The crossing guard tried to pull him back, but the dump truck was fully loaded and could not stop in time.

The only reason the driver of the dump truck was charged with anything was because they felt because it a school zone he should have been proceeding with more caution and eyewitnesses claimed he was exceeding the speed limit, which is probably correct.

If you’ve ever driven a fully loaded dump truck, trust me when I say they don’t stop on a dime and chances are nothing would have prevented this tragedy. Obviously the crossing guard saved a life and should be honored for it.

So the lesson is always be cautious in school zones.

Well maybe I take that all back, it appears another story says that the crossing guard may have stepped out to stop the truck and it just didn’t stop.

The story said the dump truck driver claimed he didn’t see them in the crosswalk. That sounds like he wasn’t paying attention to what he was doing, which would be reckless driving.

This is where HeadHunter is a teacher!

So I say, WTF is not wrong with Ohio. :stuck_out_tongue:

Story 1 was on the news haha. They tried not to arrest the woman but she refused to give the ball back, then refused to sign some form, then refused to agree to show up in court.

Basicly the police said under the conditions they don’t have any choice but to arrest someone if they don’t agree to follow any of the conditions.

It wasn’t like they just showed up and hauled her off to jail.

BTW Why the is Ohio so fucked up?

[quote]gojira wrote:
Bondslave wrote:
Isn’t Ohio where the secretary of state (D) got a brewing case over voter fraud thrown out because she claims it would scare people away from voting? Yet they prosecute old ladies for footballs. Awesome.

It is also the state where the previous Secretary Of State ®, who was in charge of the voting in Ohio, was also the chairman of George W Bush’s re-election campaign in Ohio.

Don’t believe me? Look it up.

BTW, I live in Ohio. [/quote]

Where you been girl? Good to see you back.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Dayum.

Sounds like South Africa - people getting 6 months for rape and murder, and others getting maximum sentences for smaller offences.[/quote]

How are either of these cases comparable? While tragic, what would be an appropriate sentence for the driver involved in an accidental death? This was not a violent crime - it was a traffic death. As for the old lady, she had plenty of chances to avoid this. She sounds like a bitter old woman. Every neighborhood had one when I was a kid. They were hated by the kids.

You never get the whole story from one newspaper article anyway.

DB

[quote]catone wrote:
In the news today:

Story One

BLUE ASH, Ohio �?? Police in Ohio say an 89-year-old woman is facing a charge of petty theft because neighborhood children accuse her of refusing to give back their football.

Edna Jester was arrested last week in the Cincinnati suburb of Blue Ash.

Police say one child’s father complained that Jester kept the youngsters’ ball after it landed in her yard. Police Capt. James Schaffer says there has been an ongoing dispute in the neighborhood over kids’ balls landing in the woman’s yard.

Jester said Monday she has received many calls and didn’t have time to discuss the matter any more.

Jester is to appear in court next month. The maximum penalty for a petty theft conviction in Ohio is six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=10295872&ch=4226713&src=news

Story Two

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) �?? The driver of a dump truck that struck and killed an Ohio school crossing guard as she was protecting a young boy has been sentenced to six days in jail.
George Watkins pleaded no contest Monday to a misdemeanor charge of vehicular homicide. A judge sentenced him to five years’ probation.

Police say the 40-year-old Watkins was driving his dump truck in April when he struck Dianna Sharp in front of an elementary school.

A witness said the 41-year-old Sharp was struck as she tried to protect an 8-year-old boy from being hit. The boy was seriously injured.

Watkins told police he didn’t see the woman and the boy in the crosswalk.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-10-20-crossingguard-death_N.htm?csp=34

What is wrong with justice in Ohio?

[/quote]

Liberals are destroying America.

I would make that truck driver beg for death if he had harmed my family.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
Dayum.

Sounds like South Africa - people getting 6 months for rape and murder, and others getting maximum sentences for smaller offences.

How are either of these cases comparable? While tragic, what would be an appropriate sentence for the driver involved in an accidental death? This was not a violent crime - it was a traffic death. As for the old lady, she had plenty of chances to avoid this. She sounds like a bitter old woman. Every neighborhood had one when I was a kid. They were hated by the kids.

You never get the whole story from one newspaper article anyway.

DB[/quote]

Sure, the driver didn’t intend to take a life. He still was willful in his actions. I’d be all for something like life with the chance of parole after 25.

[quote]Valor wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
Dayum.

Sounds like South Africa - people getting 6 months for rape and murder, and others getting maximum sentences for smaller offences.

How are either of these cases comparable? While tragic, what would be an appropriate sentence for the driver involved in an accidental death? This was not a violent crime - it was a traffic death. As for the old lady, she had plenty of chances to avoid this. She sounds like a bitter old woman. Every neighborhood had one when I was a kid. They were hated by the kids.

You never get the whole story from one newspaper article anyway.

DB

Sure, the driver didn’t intend to take a life. He still was willful in his actions. I’d be all for something like life with the chance of parole after 25.[/quote]

I see where you’re coming from but I think that is pretty harsh for something that wasn’t trying to do harm. I would say 20 years with a chance to get out after 10 or 15 if he had perfect behavior. It’s not like I wouldn’t want a real murderer drowned a pool of shit, but this guy was just stupid, and needs a few years for him to be not stupid. Plus, I don’t want to pay for him to be in jail that long.