T Nation

WTF is With All The Pictures?

Just wanted to point out that while the common theme on this website is CF makes men look like weak girls, while at the same time 80% of the pics shown in articles and what not are CF competitions and taken from CF gyms. I have been noticing this for the last few months and it has been driving me nuts.
Can we get some goddamn consistency please.

Do you have any specific examples of what you’re talking about? Also, bear in mind that there’s more than a few authors on this site, so opinions will vary, not all of them believe CrossFit (I’m assuming that’s what the ‘CF’ in your post meant) is a bad thing, just not a bodybuilding thing.

you sure they aint just ‘gyms’?

[quote]SILVERDAN7 wrote:
Just wanted to point out that while the common theme on this website is CF makes men look like weak girls, while at the same time 80% of the pics shown in articles and what not are CF competitions and taken from CF gyms. I have been noticing this for the last few months and it has been driving me nuts.
Can we get some goddamn consistency please.[/quote]

Cross fit gyms?

Most of the pics in the articles are of BBers and Strongmen and from the Indigo Boot camp.

There have been a few CF pics too but be reassured that they are still in the minority.

‘‘Exercises saved from the dumpster’’ must have enraged you, eh? ehehehe

Today’s article is an example. The pic for the deadlift is clearly at some kind of crossfit competition/games event.

no they are definitely not gyms. they were doing cleans and using non-standard commercial gym equipment, such as kettle-bells, tires, trap-bar, etc. Therefore, they must be CF gyms.

[quote]booksbikesbeer wrote:
Today’s article is an example. The pic for the deadlift is clearly at some kind of crossfit competition/games event. [/quote]

Yeah… I had a feeling he meant that…

[quote]booksbikesbeer wrote:
Today’s article is an example. The pic for the deadlift is clearly at some kind of crossfit competition/games event. [/quote]

Unless all of then pics are from crossfit gyms, what is your point?

You are mad because they showed a gym…that is also used for crossfit?

[quote]critietaeta wrote:
no they are definitely not gyms. they were doing cleans and using non-standard commercial gym equipment, such as kettle-bells, tires, trap-bar, etc. Therefore, they must be CF gyms.[/quote]

They had all of that stuff in Colorado at T-Nation HQ. I wouldn’t call the T-Nation gym “Crossfit” because of it.

And how bout airline food these days? More like swearline food… Am I right?

I didn’t really have a point, Professor. Someone asked for an example. Ninjaa and I just pointed out the same one.

But I agree with your take on the T Nation headquarters. There do seem to be more promo looking photos of Tibs and others training people on rings, doing circuits, and learning Oly lifts. It could look CF-ish, but that doesn’t mean it is.

I personally like the variety of photos.

i am crossfit

I like variety too…but this thread made me wonder when the hell Crossfit put their trademark on all of these exercises.

Hint: They didn’t.

I personally don’t see kettlebells as some great benefit…but that didn’t stop CT from having me use them while doing movements I don’t usually do.

This website has a lot of different authors and trainer with different philosophies. They do not all agree…which is why you will hear me speak about CT before anyone else here…because we seem to be after similar goals…even if I think some of that stuff is not optimal for me or many others.

CF sounds like a fad or some social group. If they aren’t huge, I couldn’t give a shit about how they train.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I like variety too…but this thread made me wonder when the hell Crossfit put their trademark on all of these exercises.

Hint: They didn’t.

I personally don’t see kettlebells as some great benefit…but that didn’t stop CT from having me use them while doing movements I don’t usually do.

This website has a lot of different authors and trainer with different philosophies. They do not all agree…which is why you will hear me speak about CT before anyone else here…because we seem to be after similar goals…even if I think some of that stuff is not optimal for me or many others.

CF sounds like a fad or some social group. If they aren’t huge, I couldn’t give a shit about how they train.[/quote]

ESPN always used to air the Worlds Strongest Man competition on New Years Day.

This year it was the crossfit games.

Might be more than a fad, unfortunately.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I like variety too…but this thread made me wonder when the hell Crossfit put their trademark on all of these exercises.

Hint: They didn’t.

I personally don’t see kettlebells as some great benefit…but that didn’t stop CT from having me use them while doing movements I don’t usually do.

This website has a lot of different authors and trainer with different philosophies. They do not all agree…which is why you will hear me speak about CT before anyone else here…because we seem to be after similar goals…even if I think some of that stuff is not optimal for me or many others.

CF sounds like a fad or some social group. If they aren’t huge, I couldn’t give a shit about how they train.[/quote]

ESPN always used to air the Worlds Strongest Man competition on New Years Day.

This year it was the crossfit games.

Might be more than a fad, unfortunately.
[/quote]

Considering they seem to be removing anyone bigger than average from their roster save for football, I am not surprised. They have already quit showing ANY bodybuilding related programming when that shit used to be on regularly through the late 90’s and early 00’s. American Muscle magazine used to show whenever they had a gap in programming.

The first time I saw Dorian Yates on stage was on ESPN at a friend’s house.

It doesn’t surprised me that something that seems to attract the Men’s health crowd would be featured more.

[quote]critietaeta wrote:
no they are definitely not gyms. they were doing cleans and using non-standard commercial gym equipment, such as kettle-bells, tires, trap-bar, etc. Therefore, they must be CF gyms.[/quote]

This is stupid as shit. My gym has all of that and is ABSOLUTELY NOT a crossfit gym. Actually the furthest thing from it.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

And how bout airline food these days? More like swearline food… Am I right? [/quote]
Yeah, you’re right.

I totally forgot about bodybuilding on TV…haha…wow…I remember first moving to north america and seeing it on tv. It’s what inspired me to start training…that and being a chubby kid. I had no idea crossfit was on TV either. Funny enough my priorities are shifting in exercise, after a 12 month+ hiatus from bodybuilding i’m now finding myself wanting to train for fitness…I believe that having carried a lot of muscle mass in the past will make that default “fitness” goal look significantly muscular. Which begs the question has my change of training orientation been a result of concious thought or am I succumbing to all this new fad like bullshit…jesus…

Oh look, it’s this thread again.