WTF Happened to Gold's?

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
I lift at a Golds and I have no complains. Four bench press, two incline and several good HS machines, two squat racks and dbs go up 150lb, plus I pay 30 bucks a month.[/quote]

Same here for the membership, I even get two tanning beds that don’t work lol. For the weights though its a damn good deal.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
It’s a piece of shit facility run by fatasses. They rather keep their membership numbers fat with lazy slobs than a few hardcore bodybuilders. My local Gold’s is owned by a former bodybuilder so our DBs go up to 150lbs and we actually have metal plates. Man fuck Arnold. I’d rather see pictures of the true greats than the 6 time Mr Olympia that has competely turned his back on the sport. [/quote]

Turned his back on the sport?
What the hell do you expect him to be doing? How old is he now? And he’s had heart surgery. He still hosts the Arnold Classic and attends lots of shows. What else would you want from him?

Arnold is an amazing man and has excelled in bodybuilding, acting… or wel…, being in movies, and politics. Pursuing other activities does not mean he’s turned his back on bodybuilding.

Don’t forget he hosted the Arnold Classic, out of his own pocketbook if I remember correctly for a while, as well as donates a crap ton of money to get kids bodybuilding/weight training and has had alot of other injuries besides for just his heart.

And… I lifted at a Gold’s in Cali for a week and didn’t pay a dime, so that’s cool. The gym had a lot of good, albeit worn out and/or broken, equipment and nobody really bothered me. There was nobody with an impressive physique, although the gym had tons of people every day.

I saw every gym stereotype portrayed there. i never see stuff like this at my gym
…guidos, ILS guys, douchebag kids moving the leg press 2 inches with like 30 plates on it, in tapout shirts… people stealing my machines all the time… yeah

There was like on guy who was maybe 200 lean with no legs, worked chest every day, and pranced around in a Gold’s shirt with his nips hanging out.

There were also these two dudes. I don’t even know what to call them. They both had a huge case of ILS, did a lot of strutting, and somehow always managed to be extremely sweaty while barely lifting.
And one of them wore this purple bodybuilder-esque shirt and I swear the collar hung down to his mid-stomach. It was fucking hilarious.

[quote]Artem wrote:
And… I lifted at a Gold’s in Cali for a week and didn’t pay a dime, so that’s cool. The gym had a lot of good, albeit worn out and/or broken, equipment and nobody really bothered me. There was nobody with an impressive physique, although the gym had tons of people every day.

I saw every gym stereotype portrayed there. i never see stuff like this at my gym
…guidos, ILS guys, douchebag kids moving the leg press 2 inches with like 30 plates on it, in tapout shirts… people stealing my machines all the time… yeah

There was like on guy who was maybe 200 lean with no legs, worked chest every day, and pranced around in a Gold’s shirt with his nips hanging out.

There were also these two dudes. I don’t even know what to call them. They both had a huge case of ILS, did a lot of strutting, and somehow always managed to be extremely sweaty while barely lifting.
And one of them wore this purple bodybuilder-esque shirt and I swear the collar hung down to his mid-stomach. It was fucking hilarious.[/quote]

Damn now I wanna go to the 24 fitness and people watch.

[quote]bicepenvy wrote:
I manage a gym and I hate to say this but…the rudest and most inconsiderate members are the hardcore lifters. i can understand why most gyms are weeding them out. They are bad for business. [/quote]

I would love to hear specifics of how rude and inconsiderate they are. Most bigger guys block out everyone around them when they train so even trying to be rude to someone would require coming out of the zone they are in to do it. If “rude” is now how you define going up to the out of shape guy doing NO plates on the machine (ie. just sliding the hinges up and down) as he does 5,000 reps and asking him if you can work in which causes him to just leave, I guess I’m “rude” too.

I know I’m personally in the gym to get a job done, not to talk to people or play around on the machines pretending to lift.

Before I moved, I trained at Gold’s in Venice. That’s the life.

Since moving, I found a nice gym with lots of equipment. Nothing like Gold’s, and I’m one of the better-built guys, which is demoralizing. Still, a good gig.

Most of you fuckers won’t pay shit for a gym membership. You shop based on price rather than quality. What do you expect to get for $30-40 a month?

Don’t pay coach prices and then bitch about not getting first class facilities.

If you want something more hard core, be an organizer. Find some guys. Save some money. Get some equipment and make it happen.

People will pay lots of money to have a “cool” care. Tell a guy to downgrade his car and take the $200 a month savings to put towards a gym, and he’ll look at me like I’m crazy.

Yet that’s all you’d need to do.

[quote]Dan Thompson wrote:
Just be happy you don’t lift at New York Sports Clubs. I took this picture the other day between sets of Arnold presses (I keep my workout log on my Blackberry so the camera was readily accessible). The guy sat there and read the entire article, I kid you not.

What the hell is happening to our weight rooms? Corporate membership and location are the only things keeping my business. [/quote]

See, this is what I’m talking about.

You bitch about the situation.

You’ll stay, though, since it’s cheap and convenient.

Typical beta, do-nothing behavior.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Dan Thompson wrote:
Just be happy you don’t lift at New York Sports Clubs. I took this picture the other day between sets of Arnold presses (I keep my workout log on my Blackberry so the camera was readily accessible). The guy sat there and read the entire article, I kid you not.

What the hell is happening to our weight rooms? Corporate membership and location are the only things keeping my business.

See, this is what I’m talking about.

You bitch about the situation.

You’ll stay, though, since it’s cheap and convenient.

Typical beta, do-nothing behavior.
[/quote]
Yeah, my bad.

I guess the fact that I really don’t care enough to go out of my way to find another gym makes me “beta.” To be honest, I really don’t care if I am the biggest guy in my weight room or the smallest. I don’t care if people are running on treadmills or squatting 1,000 lbs. Sure, it’s nice to have people around you that inspire you and could offer advice if needed, but when it really comes down to it does the guy next to me or anyone else in my gym affect my training? Hell no. A heavy-ass deadlift is a heavy-ass deadlift regardless of what music is playing, what people are around me, or the quality of the equipment I am using.

I guess you are right to some degree, but if you can’t complain about how sub-par your gym is on a forum designed to complain about the decline of one of the most famous gyms in the history of the iron game without being called a “beta” then where can you? Shit, where the hell else was I going to post that picture? I personally thought it was too good not to share.

Anyways, sorry I’m not “Alpha” enough for you, but seriously lighten up man. I know we’re all ‘hardcore’ here, but pick your spots. Maybe you just need a hug.

(NOT from me).

[quote]Dan Thompson wrote:
Sure, it’s nice to have people around you that inspire you and could offer advice if needed, but when it really comes down to it does the guy next to me or anyone else in my gym affect my training? Hell no. A heavy-ass deadlift is a heavy-ass deadlift regardless of what music is playing, what people are around me, or the quality of the equipment I am using.

[/quote]

Your environment has much to do with your overall results. Anyone who claims otherwise is likely nowhere near any extreme in strength or development…or at least never actually trained in a gym filled with people with similar goals who are all pushing each other to do more.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I know I’m personally in the gym to get a job done, not to talk to people or play around on the machines pretending to lift. [/quote]

We are a dying breed Senor X.

Dan Thompson wrote:
Sure, it’s nice to have people around you that inspire you and could offer advice if needed, but when it really comes down to it does the guy next to me or anyone else in my gym affect my training? Hell no. A heavy-ass deadlift is a heavy-ass deadlift regardless of what music is playing, what people are around me, or the quality of the equipment I am using.

Your environment has much to do with your overall results. Anyone who claims otherwise is likely nowhere near any extreme in strength or development…or at least never actually trained in a gym filled with people with similar goals who are all pushing each other to do more.[/quote]
Yeah that’s why I like my gym. We have lots of athletes coming in cause of the owner. He actually looks like he lifts. I happened to walk in today when they were training. It was a good atmosphere to be around.

I use the powerhouse gym less than four minutes from my house and go at the inconvenient times for most people and have at it. I find that the serious lifters and overall big guys are in at those times or nobody at all, which makes for a good lifting experience.

Other than my own personal drive and goals nothing motivates me more than looking over at the guy putting up 500 pounds for rep after rep like it’s just the bar. The actual free weight section isn’t the largest, but it’s usually the least packed so it’s perfect for me.

My Gold’s still has the pics of Arnold, Ronnie, and some female bodybuilders from the 80’s. All in the weight room, of course. All the rest of the place is littered with pics of fitness/figure people dancing and shit.

Because that’s how you get muscle. Dancing.

[quote]The Buzz wrote:
I use the powerhouse gym less than four minutes from my house and go at the inconvenient times for most people and have at it. I find that the serious lifters and overall big guys are in at those times or nobody at all, which makes for a good lifting experience. Other than my own personal drive and goals nothing motivates me more than looking over at the guy putting up 500 pounds for rep after rep like it’s just the bar. The actual free weight section isn’t the largest, but it’s usually the least packed so it’s perfect for me. [/quote]

Hey how much is your monthly membership? I just found out there’s a Powerhouse near me and I might go check it out, but I heard it’s like a few hundred a month. My current gym is $19/month. It’s a pretty cool place, though.

I paid 150 for six months. As far as I know they had three-four pricing plans one was the pay everything up front for six months thing that I did where you can renew forever at that rate. Then they had plans for one year, two years, and three years where you paid anywhere from 29 to 49 a month if I remember correctly. Powerhouse is always doing special deals to get you to join though just keep your eyes and ears open.

[quote]The Buzz wrote:
I paid 150 for six months. As far as I know they had three-four pricing plans one was the pay everything up front for six months thing that I did where you can renew forever at that rate. Then they had plans for one year, two years, and three years where you paid anywhere from 29 to 49 a month if I remember correctly. Powerhouse is always doing special deals to get you to join though just keep your eyes and ears open.[/quote]

150 for 6 is $6/month more than I currently pay. I’d be willing to pay that if the gym is worth it. I think I’ll go check it out and see if I like it.

Yeah don’t quote me on whether or not that particular deal is still going, but they are definitely worth a look. I’ve checked out several in Michigan and have yet to see a bad powerhouse gym.

bicepenvy wrote:
I manage a gym and I hate to say this but…the rudest and most inconsiderate members are the hardcore lifters. i can understand why most gyms are weeding them out. They are bad for business.

I would love to hear specifics of how rude and inconsiderate they are. Most bigger guys block out everyone around them when they train so even trying to be rude to someone would require coming out of the zone they are in to do it. If “rude” is now how you define going up to the out of shape guy doing NO plates on the machine (ie. just sliding the hinges up and down) as he does 5,000 reps and asking him if you can work in which causes him to just leave, I guess I’m “rude” too.

I know I’m personally in the gym to get a job done, not to talk to people or play around on the machines pretending to lift. [/quote]

I’m with you, I see people all the time reading books / mags ext… sitting on a bench taking 30 min of rest between sets, what is the point… Get the fuck out of my way, so yea I am a little rude sometimes.

[quote]bicepenvy wrote:
I manage a gym and I hate to say this but…the rudest and most inconsiderate members are the hardcore lifters. i can understand why most gyms are weeding them out. They are bad for business. [/quote]

Why do you even post on this site?