WTF Canada?

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070707/Great_Lakes_pollution_070707/20070707?hub=Canada&s_name=

Gov’t ignoring Great Lakes crisis: activists
Updated Sat. Jul. 7 2007 10:05 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The federal government shows little concern over the declining quality of the Great Lakes, activists say.

Aaron Freeman, policy director with Environmental Defence, said the federal government has been sitting idly by while the American government is discussing spending US$20 billion to revitalize the lakes.

“Pollution sources in Canada are actually becoming worse, while on the U.S. side of the border, there’s been a major cleanup effort,” he said.

“And there has been virtually nothing on the Canadian side to match that commitment.”

Come on you hosers, clean up your damn water already. What is taking you so long?

Never been to Canada but always pictured it as a very environment friendly place. Actually outside Scandinavia, one would be hard pressed to find a more ecological people. I’m sure it differs between provinces, but overall, they beat the crap out of everyone else in that regard.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Never been to Canada but always pictured it as a very environment friendly place. Actually outside Scandinavia, one would be hard pressed to find a more ecological people. I’m sure it differs between provinces, but overall, they beat the crap out of everyone else in that regard.[/quote]

lixy,

You really are a dink. If this was America being criticized, you’d be all over it.

Since some of the more lackluster posters are both from Canada and agree with your Anti-U.S. stances, you feel obligated to defend Canada.

You are so transparent.

JeffR

P.S. There are other countries that make errors. They even warrant some criticism. Look into it.

[quote]JeffR wrote:
lixy wrote:
Never been to Canada but always pictured it as a very environment friendly place. Actually outside Scandinavia, one would be hard pressed to find a more ecological people. I’m sure it differs between provinces, but overall, they beat the crap out of everyone else in that regard.

lixy,

You really are a dink. If this was America being criticized, you’d be all over it.

Since some of the more lackluster posters are both from Canada and agree with your Anti-U.S. stances, you feel obligated to defend Canada.

You are so transparent.

JeffR

P.S. There are other countries that make errors. They even warrant some criticism. Look into it.

[/quote]

Does any of this attack discredit anything he said there? Nope.

If I’m not mistaken, three of the top 10 cleanest cities of the world are Canadian.

What is this thread implying? That the US is an environmentally friendly nation? That because Canada isn’t perfect, we should strive to be?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Come on you hosers, clean up your damn water already. What is taking you so long?
[/quote]

Because we want you to come here. We figure if we wait long enough, you’ll cave.

Seriously, I see mention of reports and such but I don’t see any numbers. Were the studies even double-blind? I’m not stating that those claims are untrue but good to know who did the studies and more importantly, why.

Susan
p.s. I still love ya even if you called me a hoser!

[quote]MsM wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Because we want you to come here. We figure if we wait long enough, you’ll cave.

Seriously, I see mention of reports and such but I don’t see any numbers. Were the studies even double-blind? I’m not stating that those claims are untrue but good to know who did the studies and more importantly, why.

Susan
p.s. I still love ya even if you called me a hoser![/quote]

I am on my way! I just hope they use clean water to make the Labatts.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I am on my way! I just hope they use clean water to make the Labatts.[/quote]

Well of course not. Where do you think the strong, delicious taste comes from?

If you want something that tastes like clean water, go for a Bud.

[quote]pookie wrote:
[/quote]

I thought that was bottled water.

As for the lakes, we are likely dropping the ball. I do believe that Canadians want to maintain a clean environment, and are willing to pay for it (to an extent of course). However, it requires government initiative to be the driver and the only ones that are dedicated enough to do it (NDP/Greens) would economically ruin the country getting us there.

Right now, Harper really couldn’t give a shit about the environment and only pays it lip service because it’s the topic of the day. The Liberals weren’t much better, however it wasn’t a big deal when they were in power, so who knows what they’d do now.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
pookie wrote:

I thought that was bottled water.[/quote]

A Bud costs less and tastes the same…

[quote]As for the lakes, we are likely dropping the ball. I do believe that Canadians want to maintain a clean environment, and are willing to pay for it (to an extent of course). However, it requires government initiative to be the driver and the only ones that are dedicated enough to do it (NDP/Greens) would economically ruin the country getting us there.

Right now, Harper really couldn’t give a shit about the environment and only pays it lip service because it’s the topic of the day. The Liberals weren’t much better, however it wasn’t a big deal when they were in power, so who knows what they’d do now. [/quote]

Well that’s the problem. Everyone wants “the government” to clean up pollution and take care of the environment, but no one wants to pay for it. We ask for tons of services, but then vote for the parties promising to reduce taxes. Here in Qc, our “green awareness” is apparently very high, but our Green Party got about 3% of the vote at the last elections. They don’t hold a single seat in the national assembly.

So my guess is that we’re letting the Americans clean up the Great Lakes and foot the bill. It’s not like the water on “our side” will respect the imaginary border, so eventually, they’ll clean up our water too.

We may be cheap, but we’re smart, eh?

[quote]pookie wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
pookie wrote:

A Bud costs less and tastes the same…

As for the lakes, we are likely dropping the ball. I do believe that Canadians want to maintain a clean environment, and are willing to pay for it (to an extent of course). However, it requires government initiative to be the driver and the only ones that are dedicated enough to do it (NDP/Greens) would economically ruin the country getting us there.

Right now, Harper really couldn’t give a shit about the environment and only pays it lip service because it’s the topic of the day. The Liberals weren’t much better, however it wasn’t a big deal when they were in power, so who knows what they’d do now.

Well that’s the problem. Everyone wants “the government” to clean up pollution and take care of the environment, but no one wants to pay for it. We ask for tons of services, but then vote for the parties promising to reduce taxes. Here in Qc, our “green awareness” is apparently very high, but our Green Party got about 3% of the vote at the last elections. They don’t hold a single seat in the national assembly.

So my guess is that we’re letting the Americans clean up the Great Lakes and foot the bill. It’s not like the water on “our side” will respect the imaginary border, so eventually, they’ll clean up our water too.

We may be cheap, but we’re smart, eh?
[/quote]

Now if we could just figure out a way to have them pay our healthcare as well.

Just to clarify what I meant by the government leading the way is that I see it up to them to set the policies that companies/people need to follow. Unfortunately the government seems lack any real conviction in this area.

As for the Greens, I wouldn’t mind them having some representation, but their leader scares me, she indicated that she thought Jack Layton wasn’t left wing enough!

[quote]lixy wrote:
Never been to Canada but always pictured it as a very environment friendly place. Actually outside Scandinavia, one would be hard pressed to find a more ecological people. I’m sure it differs between provinces, but overall, they beat the crap out of everyone else in that regard.[/quote]

How much air pollution do you think has come out of this smoke stack over the years?

Canada, like any industrialized country, has had its share of issues to contend with.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
pookie wrote:

Right now, Harper really couldn’t give a shit about the environment and only pays it lip service because it’s the topic of the day. The Liberals weren’t much better, however it wasn’t a big deal when they were in power, so who knows what they’d do now. [/quote]

You, my friend, have hit the nail on the head. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Susan

[quote]pookie wrote:
[/quote]

WTF? Are you sure you’re Canadian?

What about our sky high taxes? Where the hell does that money end up?

:slight_smile: