T Nation

WSSB Question

On the westside for skinny bastard program it says work up to a max set of 3-5 reps…can someone please explain that to me in detail because i cant seem to understand what it really means?

let me give this a shot. for your first set, pick a weight that you can do for five reps. keep adding weight for the next couple sets until you can’t get five reps any more. now, start doing sets of three while still adding weight.

eventually you’ll hit a weight that you can’t get three any more. the preceding set is your max. let’s do the numbers game (generic numbers for easier explanation)–

first set: 250 X 5
second set: 260 X 5
third set: 270 X (failure to hit 5 reps)
fourth set: 280 X 3
fifth set: 290 X 3
sixth set: 295 X (failure to hit 3 reps)
290 is your 3 rep max.

it’s my understanding that the idea behind westside isn’t to necessarily hit a new max every ME day, but rather to work the muscles in the 85% max range and above.

[quote]stooly56 wrote:
let me give this a shot. for your first set, pick a weight that you can do for five reps. keep adding weight for the next couple sets until you can’t get five reps any more. now, start doing sets of three while still adding weight.

eventually you’ll hit a weight that you can’t get three any more. the preceding set is your max. let’s do the numbers game (generic numbers for easier explanation)–

first set: 250 X 5
second set: 260 X 5
third set: 270 X (failure to hit 5 reps)
fourth set: 280 X 3
fifth set: 290 X 3
sixth set: 295 X (failure to hit 3 reps)
290 is your 3 rep max.

it’s my understanding that the idea behind westside isn’t to necessarily hit a new max every ME day, but rather to work the muscles in the 85% max range and above.
[/quote]

well kind of but id start up a lot lower you dont want to be near failure until the Final set. Your first week you’ll reach failure or damn close where you know you would have failed and from there not TRY but you will progress make a PR each week a PR of csome kind, be it add 1 darn lb or one rep to a previous same load.

So say you can roughly do 225 for a 3rm youd do the following

bar x 190
65 x 8
95 x 5
105 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 3
from here you have a choice go for a rep PR hit the
225 x 4 reps
or go for say
230 x 3 a load PR

main thing work dog ass hard and GET , Yes GET some kind of PR each week. this also gives you three sets over 80-% quality work

Phill
225 x 3

Again though that first week youll slowly add a couple Lbs at a time and find a 3 RM go till you can only get 2 rep the previous load you did will be the 3 RM the spot to build from.

One thing youll need to learn is to REST between sets fully recover, 3-5 minutes

Phill

so i start on a weight i can do 5 reps and keep doin it and keep adding weight until i cant do 3…? sorry

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
so i start on a weight i can do 5 reps and keep doin it and keep adding weight until i cant do 3…? sorry[/quote]

No. Phill explained it perfectly. You’re gettting your body ready for one all out set of 3 reps. SO you use the prior sets as warm ups. You don’t want them to be “easy” but you don’t want them to have you overly tired coming into the last big set.

Here’s DeFranco’s answer on the subject, similiar to what Phill wrote:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_07-04-20.htm

It’s about halfway down the page.

ohh ok got it…

so keep warming up with lowe r weight and keep adding weight each set until i reach aweight where i can only do 3-5 reps

heres how i did it guys…

45x8
75x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
165x5
175x4
185x3
190x3

i struggled on the 190 pound set. i barely got the last rep up. so is this the correct way?

how do i add each week? do i add reps to the last couple sets or just add some weight and try to do 195x3 instead of 190?

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
heres how i did it guys…

45x8
75x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
165x5
175x4
185x3
190x3

i struggled on the 190 pound set. i barely got the last rep up. so is this the correct way?

how do i add each week? do i add reps to the last couple sets or just add some weight and try to do 195x3 instead of 190? [/quote]

Yes looks good.

next week either one get a PR either get one more rep or add even 1 lb and get the same the thing is to STRAIN!!! work hard, and to succeed get a PR!! any kind you can

Phill

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
heres how i did it guys…

45x8
75x5
95x5
115x5
135x5
165x5
175x4
185x3
190x3

i struggled on the 190 pound set. i barely got the last rep up. so is this the correct way?

how do i add each week? do i add reps to the last couple sets or just add some weight and try to do 195x3 instead of 190? [/quote]

oh I would have prob dropped to 3 reps a bit earlier around the 165 or so. Save the energy for the BIG SET!!!

Phill

This is how I do 3 rep maxes
It only works once you have established your 3 rep max.
So its 190lbs now

so i would
45x10 x 2 sets
75x5
95x3
115x3
135x1
165x1
175x3
185x3
190x3
have a crack at 3 x 195lbs

i feel i have just a bit more energy to try and hit a PR each week

what do you guys think???

[quote]aussiethrower wrote:
This is how I do 3 rep maxes
It only works once you have established your 3 rep max.
So its 190lbs now

so i would
45x10 x 2 sets
75x5
95x3
115x3
135x1
165x1
175x3
185x3
190x3
have a crack at 3 x 195lbs

i feel i have just a bit more energy to try and hit a PR each week

what do you guys think???

[/quote]

I full on agree with dropping to the singles after he knows his set PR and goal by why the hell would you jump back Up to triples prior to the PR attempt Id stay at singles and conserve the energy

Phill

so every week ALL im looking for is my 3 rep max (last set) to either be more weight or hit one more rep from last week? the sets i do before dont really matter im just warming up? can someone confirm this please?

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
so every week ALL im looking for is my 3 rep max (last set) to either be more weight or hit one more rep from last week? the sets i do before dont really matter im just warming up? can someone confirm this please?[/quote]

You want to e working on them, but you don’t want them to be SO Hard that they take away from the main set.

Like you could go 90,95,100% of your target weight as you work up.

OR you could go 90%, 100% and then drop back to 90-95% and do another set of 3 afterwards if you feel like you haven’t worked hard enough.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
kobe4life08 wrote:
so every week ALL im looking for is my 3 rep max (last set) to either be more weight or hit one more rep from last week? the sets i do before dont really matter im just warming up? can someone confirm this please?

You want to e working on them, but you don’t want them to be SO Hard that they take away from the main set.

Like you could go 90,95,100% of your target weight as you work up.

OR you could go 90%, 100% and then drop back to 90-95% and do another set of 3 afterwards if you feel like you haven’t worked hard enough.

[/quote]

Exactly and I prefer GET that damn PR yes hit the warm ups but save the SHIT for that one set and if need be if you didnt work damn hard getting it and have more in the tank do a drop set or two in the 90%+ zone

Just my 2 cc
Phill

how would i change up the warm up sets when i start getting stronger?

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
how would i change up the warm up sets when i start getting stronger?[/quote]

You just do the same thing but work to a Higer number. youll take bigger jumps as the load gets higher. It aint rocket science just get warm and get that PR Lift HEAVY

Like lets say you have a 315 DL
you might go
bar x ton
95 x 8
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 3
a PR be it 315 x 4 or 316+ x 3

Now fast forward you have a 600 lb DL

Bar x ton
135 x 8
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 3
495 x 3
A PR be it 600 x 4 or 601+ x 3

That a very generic outline you have to find what you need as far as warm up and for which exercises that comes as you go as well some you may need a LOT like I need a ton on pressing take slower jump, and less On say DL I JUMP and get that shit.

Phill

2 weeks ago my bench 3 rm was 190. last week it went up to 195…should i still do the 190x3 set this week and then attempt to go for a 195x4 set??? or does that 190x3 set get cancelled out

No go for the PR

Phill