WSM 2010

So its getting close to WSM time again, Who you got. Oh wait Zydrunas Savickas is in it again, ok who you got in second.

Whats up with Kevin Nee not in it, his name isnt on either list.

Im rooting For Pudz, Poundstone and Sadler.

Line up http://theworldsstrongestman.com/2010_competitors.php

Qualification http://theworldsstrongestman.com/story_19.php

Kevin Nee has torn his pec… and both his biceps… and is concentrating on business ventures atm.

groups and events

GRP 1 Medley 3 or 6 Mark Felix Sun City Grass
1 2 Truck Pull 1 Solvi Petursson Whisky Walk
3 Power Stairs 2 Sergii Romanchuk Amphitheatre
4 Deadlift - reps 1 Brian Shaw Amphitheatre
5 Apollon’s Axle 2 Ettiene Smit Monkey Square
6 Loading Race 2 or 3 Stoyan Todorchev Valley of the Waves

GRP 1 Medley 3 or 6 Mark Felix Sun City Grass
1 2 Truck Pull 1 Solvi Petursson Whisky Walk
3 Power Stairs 2 Sergii Romanchuk Amphitheatre
4 Deadlift - reps 1 Brian Shaw Amphitheatre
5 Apollon’s Axle 2 Ettiene Smit Monkey Square
6 Loading Race 2 or 3 Stoyan Todorchev Valley of the Waves

GRP
3 1 Medley 3 or 6 Kostiantyn Ilin Sun City Grass
2 Truck Pull 1 Ervin Katona Whisky Walk
3 Power Stairs 2 Janusz Kulaga Amphitheatre
4 Deadlift - reps 1 Vytautas Lalas Amphitheatre
5 Dumbell for reps 2 Travis Ortmayer Monkey Square
6 Loading Race 2 or 3 Darren Sadler Valley of the Waves

GRP
4 1 Giant Farmer’s Walk 3 or 6 Nick Best Sun City Grass
2 Squat Lift - reps 1 Warrick Brant Amphitheatre
3 Africa Stone 1 L-P Jean Bridge of Time
4 Apollon’s Axle 2 Agris Kazelniks Monkey Square
5 Deadlift hold with Cars 2 Zydrunas Savickas Valley of the Waves
6 Loading Race 2 or 3 Laurence Shahlaei Valley of the Waves

GRP
5 1 Medley 3 or 6 Johannes Arsjo Sun City Grass
2 Squat Lift - reps 1 Jason Bergmann Amphitheatre
3 Africa Stone 1 Misca Koklyaev Bridge of Time
4 Overhead Lift 1 Dave Ostlund Monkey Square
5 Deadlift hold with Cars 2 Canada’s National Champ Valley of the Waves
6 Loading Race

EVENTS FOR FINALS

Tues 1 Loading Race 2 or 5 Valley of the Waves
21st Sept 2 Keg Toss 1 Valley of the Waves
3 Giant Wooden Log for Max 1 Valley of the Waves
Wed 4 Whisky Barrel Carry 2 Observation Deck
22nd Sept 5 Car Deadlift - reps 2 Amphitheatre
6 Atlas Stones 2 Observation Deck
Prize Giving

Pudz isn’t on the listing.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news (no i don’t) but Pudz isn’t competing.

Also, Nee doesn’t deserve to go based on placings this year. Most of the guys there are there because they have won or placed in major qualifiers, are consistently at the top at international competitions. He’s barely been able to finish a contest in the last 4 years, let alone place high. Now I love his “screw being injured, I’m back at it in a week” mentality, but there comes a time when you need to focus on getting healthy.

Whoever wins has seriously earned it. I’d love to see Sadler in the finals but I don’t think it’ll happen with his events, I just love the guy for how fucking determined he is. I’d also love to see Hollands mixing it up in the finals after his bicep injury, I think he’s under estimated, but that on a good day he’d be up there with Z, Misha, Lbstone, and Shaw.

That said: USA! USA! USA! USA!

Loz just hit a 410kg EASY deadlift today and a 180kg EASY log C+P few days ago.

he looks good.

saying that…

Lalas all the way for me… no one knows much about him… but 300kg/550lbs x10 easy belt only squat, 100kg/225 DB for 8 reps and RUNNING with 190kg/420lbs farmers. got to be up there.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news (no i don’t) but Pudz isn’t competing.

Also, Nee doesn’t deserve to go based on placings this year. Most of the guys there are there because they have won or placed in major qualifiers, are consistently at the top at international competitions. He’s barely been able to finish a contest in the last 4 years, let alone place high. Now I love his “screw being injured, I’m back at it in a week” mentality, but there comes a time when you need to focus on getting healthy.

Whoever wins has seriously earned it. I’d love to see Sadler in the finals but I don’t think it’ll happen with his events, I just love the guy for how fucking determined he is. I’d also love to see Hollands mixing it up in the finals after his bicep injury, I think he’s under estimated, but that on a good day he’d be up there with Z, Misha, Lbstone, and Shaw.

That said: USA! USA! USA! USA![/quote]

My mistake, I thought I saw his name in the Qualification list. I must have imagined it.

In that case Im rooting for Poundstone, Saddler and Shaw.

good poundstone video Derek Poundstone - The Viper - YouTube

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
[/quote]

I watch that video about three times a week for some serious fucking motivation.

WSM events don’t seem to suit Poundstone though. In last year’s qualifiers he tore the other competitors to shit but stumbled badly at the finals. That said, I’m still rooting for him to win.
I also think Terry Hollands could surprise us all though, hell of an athlete. Ortmeyer also looking impressive.

I heard Big Z is actually trying to lose a bit of weight as he’s getting married in september so he might not be at his strongest come final time. He was impressive at a recent competition here in Ireland but I was actually expecting better.

[quote]thosebananas wrote:

Lalas all the way for me… no one knows much about him… but 300kg/550lbs x10 easy belt only squat, 100kg/225 DB for 8 reps and RUNNING with 190kg/420lbs farmers. got to be up there. [/quote]

Great athlete, but I’m not sure he’ll even make the finals. Ortmayer is def going through on those events, so he’ll still have to beat Ilin and Katona. Katona gets better every year, and nevermind that those are great events for Sadler as well. I think he just needs time to mature.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:

Lalas all the way for me… no one knows much about him… but 300kg/550lbs x10 easy belt only squat, 100kg/225 DB for 8 reps and RUNNING with 190kg/420lbs farmers. got to be up there. [/quote]

Great athlete, but I’m not sure he’ll even make the finals. Ortmayer is def going through on those events, so he’ll still have to beat Ilin and Katona. Katona gets better every year, and nevermind that those are great events for Sadler as well. I think he just needs time to mature.[/quote]

It would be really cool if Sadler makes the finals, I talked to him for a few during the finals at WSM 08 in California. Nice guy. Gives hope for us shorter strongmen,

Those are fairly good events for him. I remember doing well on the db press last year and I am sure he got even better, deadlift is good for him as well. Group 3 is actually a real interesting group.

Other than Zydrunas, I say Brian Shaw. Shoot I’d also love to see Misca Koklyaev win.

1. Big Z
  2. Poundstone
  3. Shaw

i’ve trained with Laurence once or twice and he’s a really nice guy, full of tips and help despite being twice my size and possibly capable of eating me, so obviously backing him to the end!

i read somewhere about mark felix is going for a world record for one arm dead lift with his left arm-

so that could be interesting

but yeah some really good competition across the board

Travis Ortmayer.

He’s just coming into good form, and after losing some weight he is really fast.

Loz just hit a 410kg EASY deadlift today and a 180kg EASY log C+P few days ago.

he looks good.

saying that…

Lalas is just stupid strong. I was training with him last weekend and the guy just blows me away. First time at the big show tho, that’s gotta be tough. Definitely a force to be reckoned with going forward tho.

Absolute shame that mariusz is not competing. He should scrap the fighting and return to what he’s good at. I can’t understand why he changed sports.

[quote]supa power wrote:
Absolute shame that mariusz is not competing. He should scrap the fighting and return to what he’s good at. I can’t understand why he changed sports. [/quote]

Apparently he had worsening health concerns that were pretty much exclusive to the strains from strongman.

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
[/quote]

I watch that video about three times a week for some serious fucking motivation.

WSM events don’t seem to suit Poundstone though. In last year’s qualifiers he tore the other competitors to shit but stumbled badly at the finals. That said, I’m still rooting for him to win.
I also think Terry Hollands could surprise us all though, hell of an athlete. Ortmeyer also looking impressive.

I heard Big Z is actually trying to lose a bit of weight as he’s getting married in september so he might not be at his strongest come final time. He was impressive at a recent competition here in Ireland but I was actually expecting better.[/quote]

Don’t forget that Poundstone’s stumble was largely due to the arm over arm pull, which is a pretty rare event - I think the last time they had it was 10 years before the last time they were in malta. Poundstone still had a shot at 3rd fgoing into the stones (where Shaw beat him head to head) but I dont think it’d have been an issue had the boat pull not been in there.

According to some posts on marunde Zydrunas already had his wedding. i wouldnt expect it to affect him, but who knows

yeah Big Z got married, hot wife too. Classy wedding too… I saw some Pics. I think that Poundstone is in awesome shape and honestly… it is an up in the air competition to me. Ortmeyer is in perfect form, Mishca is just crazy strong and technical, he though will have some issues coming into the last event in the finals as he doesn’t exactly have stones to train with… he may have some now, but last i heard he lacks some training gear.

My pick though, if by miracle he makes it through that group of death is LPJ. Beast of a Canadian boy and has only been getting better and better.

Going to be some close competition this year I say.

[quote]majik wrote:
yeah Big Z got married, hot wife too [/quote]

Seriously hot. Dude did well for himself!