WSM 09!

[quote]CKMAN wrote:
sidewalkdances wrote:
I saw Jimmy Marku at the powerlifting comp I was at yesterday.

I know this is irrelevant, but concidering how compact he looks on TV, he’s a monster in the flesh.

Yep. I saw him a while ago round the corner from my house and he looked huge! I couldn’t believe how big he was because on TV you can’t help compare him to the others, most of which are bigger than him.

Did you know he is sponsored by myprotein.co.uk?
[/quote]

cool myprotein.co.uk is the shit, everythng in powder form is so damm cheap. i also think terry hollands will do well this year, couple years ago he came 3rd i think, last year he had lost a lot of weight somthing like over 40 pounds so hopfully this year if hes 100% he could do damage.

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
Schmazz wrote:
I’m gonna be rooting for Kevin Nee. Met him once, he’s a great guy and I really hope he wins it.

x2

You all might have forgotten how close he was to winning last time he competed. I hope he wins this year. What a young guy too.[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by “how close he was to winning” as Kevin’s never finished on the podium, and the last time he competed was last year, when he didnt make the finals. regardless tho, Kevin’s a great guy and I hope he does well this year

mariuz - Big Z - Pundstone will be awesome to see. Hollands is back to his best and will push those three all the way but i don’t think he will beat any of them.

One of my friends has just told me today that he has booked his flights and hotel in Malta to go and watch the comp. JEALOUS.

[quote]The other Rob wrote:
threewhitelights wrote:
DIPS33 wrote:
yea poundstone is the only guy that seems to be able to compete at the arnold, fortissimus and the wsm and place high in all 3,

Eh, Big Z is a 6 time arnold champ and Fortissimus champ and runner up, he just hasn’t done the WSM in quite a few years. He’ll have no problem placing high in this meet.

Poundstone has been training for this big time though. This years field is completely stacked, the only real absences are Misha (bicep injury) and Robert Schezpanski (didn’t receive invite). LPJ is also out since he didn’t win CSM this year, but regardless, this will be a great contest.

It’s Szczepanski.

Just thought I’d point that out as we have exactly the same name. Maybe one day I’ll get to compete against him…[/quote]

I figured I’d be messing that up. Damn polish names (“oh hey, lets add some z’s to that”)

Also, my above tatement isn’t entirely correct as LPJ is now in.

Yeah, the spelling is ridiculous. I’m still curious about Mariusz coming back, I thought he said he was out for good. I guess he just had to try for one more title.

[quote]The other Rob wrote:
Yeah, the spelling is ridiculous. I’m still curious about Mariusz coming back, I thought he said he was out for good. I guess he just had to try for one more title.[/quote]

http://ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2009/Sep/5X_Worldxs_Strongest_Man_Mariusz_Pudzianowski_I_Like_to_Fight.html

If he comes in with that attitude, he’ll have a hard time even making the podium with this years line-up. Big Z, Lbstone, and the texas stoneman are all hungry for a win, Brian Shaw gets better at ever contest, and there is a whole host of competitors that could come from behind. At least this year we aren’t hearing about all his “injuries”.

This is truly a stacked year.

My money is on Poundstone. IMO he is the next strongman superstar, and will be the first to win the Triple Crown. I think Pudzian likes to compete and will be a tough opponent, but he has achieved his milestone and I dont think he is hungry like Poundstone is. Big Z will be a major force; however, I think the WSM events favor guys like Pudzian and Poundstone.

SO qualifying starts this saturday does anyone know when its gonna be on T.V., I need to make sure I know when this is on.

Won’t be on tv till around Christmas time, but if there’s interest, I’ll update here with results as they come in, and I’m sure others will as well.

Threewhitelights - I’m definitely interested in updates.

Rick

My top 5;

Poundstone
Big Z
Pudz
Ortmayer
Shaw

I would love to see Z when the deal but I just don’t think he can beat Derek with these events. Derek also looks just so ungodly strong right now, would be cool to see him win it as well. I don’t know how Mariuz does not make the podium, he’s too much of a fighter. Shaw will make a BIG leap. Last year not making the finals and this year posting a top 5.

If people are interested you will be able to follow regular updates on either ironmind or jackals gym twitter accounts.

Monopoly

Derek has 2 wins in a row in the qualifying round in his group. LPJ follows.

Brian Shaw and Zydrunas Savickas are tied with 11 points in their group. I’ve been saying for a while Shaw will be the next big man on campus. Heard it hear…

Phil Pfister has 2 wins over Pudz, goddamn I have a lot of respect for that guy. I’d pay for a video clip of him doing the hercules hold years ago when he called out that he would one day be the WSM. Respect.

Ortmayer is tied for 3rd in his group. He had been planning on holding back during the qualifiers though to save energy for the finals, going by what he said. Hopefully this is the case… Loz leads followed by Johannes.

I’m not sure about group 5, but I’m pretty sure it’s Terry Hollands followed by Ostlund.

Americans are looking to sweep again this year. Shove that up your pipe, olympic lifting forum.

As much as I love the other competitors this year, the fact phil has placed in front of pudz in the first few events is awesome to me.

Poundstone, Pfister, Robert are all top of the qualifiers right now.

Who is “Robert?”

This is from the WSM site:

Squat Lift Winners
Group 1 â?? Jimmy Marku
Group 4 â?? Laurence Shahlaei
Dead Lift Winners
Group 3 â?? Darren Sadler
Group 5 â?? Terry Hollands
Group 2 â?? Mark Felix
Car Walk Winners
Group 4 â?? Larence Shahlaei
Group 1 - Derek Poundstone
Group 3 â?? Phil Pfister

Overall placing after todayâ??s results as the contest progresses
Group 1 â?? Derek Poundstone overall leader
Group 2 â?? Zydrunas Savickas now leads by 1 point
Group 3 â?? Maruisz Pudzainowski now leads Phil Pfister by 1 point
Group 4 â?? Laurence Shahlaei leading after winning both of todays events

And via text and via marunde:
Derek has pretty much already qualified in his group. Big Z leads over Shaw in group 2, Mariusz apparently got a fire under his ass after losing the pull. Mark Felix had the deadlift of his life to beat Big Z, he’s giving everything to get into the finals.

LBstone, Savickas, Shaw, Phil, and Mariusz already pretty much have their spots, Hollands is close to securing his spot as well. Ortmayer may still have a chance to come back with stones, not sure what the other event is but I’d really like to see him in the finals.

Events for finals are somewhat grip dominant with a heavy farmers and arm over arm pull, this won’t fair well for Zydrunas. Very unlikely he does well in the finals.

Nothing to really post, except that Dave Ostlund is fighting for second in his qualifying group, it will probably come down to stones which he should destroy.

Ortmayer is fighting to get to second, but with keg toss and stones (his best events) left, I see him making the finals again this year.

Sounds like the 10 going to the finals are;

Shaw
Big Z
Poundstone
LPJ
Pudzianowski
Pfister
Terry
Loz
Travis
Dave O

With 1 day left of finals:

1. Savickas - 39 pkt
  2. Pudzianowski - 38,5
  3. Shaw - 35,5
  4. Poundstone - 32,5
  5. Ortmayer- 30,5
  6. Hollands - 27
  7. Pfister - 24
    Ostlund - 18,5 or 19.5
    Shahleai - 19
  8. L.P. Jean - 9,5 or 10.5

Events so far:
Fingal Fingers
1st Zydrunas 28.69 sec World Record (unbelievable)
2nd Ostlund- 32.08
3rd Shaw- 33.xx
4th Ortmyer-33.85
5th Poundstone-35.xx
6th Mariusz-37.54
7th Pfister 37.57 (surprising to see him down here so far on fingers)
8th Hollands- 43.07
9th shahlaei- 4 fingers in xx
10th Jean- 4 fingers in xx

Farmers
1st Mariusz-25.05 (great god)
2nd Poundstone-31.63
3rd Shahlaei- 33.54
4th Zydrunas- 36.20 (a really good performance from Z here)
5th Pfister- 36.86
6th Hollands- 37.30
7th Shaw- 48.80
8th Jean- 50.45
9th Ostlund- 1:12.37
10th Traivis- 45.05m

Plane Pull
1 Hollands 38.xx (not surprising, but dayum, 2 seconds under Z)
2 Zydrunas 40.2
3 Brian + Travis 40.5
5 Mariusz 40.91
6 Poundstone 41.12
7 Phil 42.5
8 Dave 45.5
9 Loz 45.8
10 Jean 46.xx

Boat Pull

1. Shaw - 32

2. Pudzian - 39
    3.Ortmayer 45,8
    4.Hollands - 47

3. Shahleai - 51,5

4. Pfister - 55,09

5. Poundstone - 1,02,09 (dunno what happened hear, I know Derek was trying a different technique that he thought would conserve energy and give him a good time)

6. Savickas 1,02,09 (not surprising)

7. Savickas - 9 reps

8. Pudzian - 8 (was expecting pudz to be down a few places here, very impressive to tie with lbstone)

9. Poundston - 8

10. Otmayer - 7 (he’s made some great progress on his OH)

11. Shaw -6

12. Pfister - 5

13. L.P. Jean - 4 (gassed?)
    8.Ostlund - 4

14. Hollands - 2

15. Shahlaei - ?

Basically Zydrunas wins if he gets top 2 in the next 2 events, or if Mariusz slips. Car Deadlift and Stones (with carry). Excpect Z to win the deadlift, but Shaw could give him a run for his money, as could Terry or even Lbstone. Mariusz, while not a great deadlifter overall, is actually pretty good on the car deadlift apparatus as well.

Stones could go to anyone. Since they are lighter with a carry, I dunno how to rank this. Ortmayer is the man, but with light stones and a carry, suddenly Ostlund, Shaw, or Mariusz could take it. Also, Z has the world record on the IFSA stone set, so he could take this as well.

Updates in the morning.

Final results

1st. Zydrunas Savickas
2nd. Mariusz Pudzianowski
3rd. Brian Shaw
4th. Poundstone

threewhitelights you can deposit some duckets into my paypal account