WSJ Featured Bikini Prep Article

I just thought some of you might enjoy this. The WSJ ran an article today featuring one of their reporters doing a bikini comp prep.

The online version has a video of her talking about women lifting weights, and about how she got in great shape with no cardio. Anyway, I think it’s becoming more mainstream.

I’ve seen an increase in the number of women lifting in my gym over the past couple of years.

Here’s the link.

Pretty cool that they ran this type of article. Definitely seeing an increase in women interested in setting a goal and getting up onstage. I’m certain that the expansion of possible categories and classes has made a huge difference in women that “don’t wanna look like men” -lol.

The contest is this coming weekend, I wonder how the reporter will do. Assuming that some details were omitted, I’m curious as to the diet she followed. Just potatoes for breakfast? Oatmeal and berries but no protein? There’s got to be more than what was written.

S

Cool article, thanks for sharing Puff. :slight_smile:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Pretty cool that they ran this type of article. Definitely seeing an increase in women interested in setting a goal and getting up onstage. I’m certain that the expansion of possible categories and classes has made a huge difference in women that “don’t wanna look like men” -lol.

The contest is this coming weekend, I wonder how the reporter will do. Assuming that some details were omitted, I’m curious as to the diet she followed. Just potatoes for breakfast? Oatmeal and berries but no protein? There’s got to be more than what was written.

S[/quote]

The article is part of a weekly series called “What’s Your Workout?” They try to show people doing different, and often really impressive or at least dedicated fitness routines.

For example, they featured someone who owns a winery and surfs. Another person who keeps a ping pong table in his office to get his heart rate up and has run marathons on every continent, including Antarctica. A female corporate lawyer who fences. A 6’4" opera singer - baritone - who lifts like a BBer to try to keep weight on. It’s really a fun column.

About the article, I thought the same thing about the diet details. I’d imagine she’s chasing her potatoes with a protein shake or something.

About females lifting, when women in BBing became so obviously steroid enhanced, it made lifting unattractive a lot of people, men and women alike. At least the expansion of bikini class brought it back to a look that more women can relate to as a fitness and beauty ideal.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Cool article, thanks for sharing Puff. :-)[/quote]

I’m glad you like it, Sento. Here’s one from the series for you about a Princeton grad turned Wall Street investment banker, turned MMA fighter.

Related, do you see see more women in your business in recent years? Of the women who train at my gym, one of the women with the best physique lifts weights to complement her Jujitsu. She has an amazing build. She’s so soft spoken and feminine, I can’t imagine her competing, but apparently she’s very good.

Saw your post on Up’s thread and I really have to say you in no way have man legs. I would say awesome development to be proud of. I think a lot men would be lucky to have well developed calves and hams like you.

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
Saw your post on Up’s thread and I really have to say you in no way have man legs. I would say awesome development to be proud of. I think a lot men would be lucky to have well developed calves and hams like you. [/quote]

Thank you, GV. It’s funny how we can get such an unhealthy attitude about something, based on some offhanded comments when we are young. My bigger calves felt a bit like a monkey on my back, until I started lifting and realized how many people complain about how hard it is build them. Since then I’ve felt lucky. I really thought my legs were a negative. Now if I could just build shoulders to match… :slight_smile:

Related, I think lifting has helped me appreciate my body more for what it can DO, and to feel grateful for my health. Yes, trying to tweak the aesthetics is fun, but mostly it’s about being able to do things.

What is the deal with the comment on the article re: protein being harmful on the kidneys?

[quote]ghost87 wrote:
What is the deal with the comment on the article re: protein being harmful on the kidneys? [/quote]

I think you are referring to this quote -

“Jim White, a registered dietician and spokesman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, says the biggest concerns for fitness competitors are calcium and vitamin D deficiencies because of the lack of dairy. He adds that a high-protein diet could be taxing on the kidneys, but “as long as you’re not doing this for a long period of time,” it should be fine.”

I’m going to go with John Berardi on this one. As far as I’m aware, the oft quoted stat about high protein diets being hard on the kidneys was based on research studies of people with kidney disease. Here’s a link to one from Precision Nutrition. I know I’ve read Berardi talking about this in other articles as well.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Cool article, thanks for sharing Puff. :-)[/quote]

I’m glad you like it, Sento. Here’s one from the series for you about a Princeton grad turned Wall Street investment banker, turned MMA fighter.

Related, do you see see more women in your business in recent years? Of the women who train at my gym, one of the women with the best physique lifts weights to complement her Jujitsu. She has an amazing build. She’s so soft spoken and feminine, I can’t imagine her competing, but apparently she’s very good.

Cool, thanks Puff.

Women have always been around in the martial arts (though they’re still outnumbered by males), but you are seeing more of them in more modern/combat oriented arts as of late. I think the increase in coverage and popularity of women’s MMA and women’s wrestling being added to the Olympics (well, at least it was, we’ll see what happens with that) has helped in that regard.

If you are interested and ever get the chance check out the documentary “Shadow Boxers”. It’s about women 's boxing and is a fascinating look at thr topic of fininity.

I think you would do very well with this Puff, are you looking to compete ?

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I think you would do very well with this Puff, are you looking to compete ?[/quote]

No plans to compete, but I do really enjoy working on physique goals. Thank you, Max.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
No plans to compete, but I do really enjoy working on physique goals. [/quote]

They all say that :wink:

S