T Nation

WSFSB3 Routine Critique

I have finished a 3 week cycle of wsfsb3 and I'm about to start my second cycle which will last 4 weeks.

ME UPPER
Incline Bench Press 3-5RM
Chinups 3x max
Barbell or DB Row whatevers available at the gym 3x8
Seated DB Curls 3x8

REP Lower
Squat 3x10
Bulgarian Split Squat 2x10
Hyperextention 3x10
DB Side Bends/Russian Twists*

RE Upper
DB Floor Press 4x12 or 3xmax
Lat Pulldown SS w/ pullups 2xmax
DB Military Press or L-Lateral Raise 3x8-10
DB Triceps Extension 3x10

ME Lower
Deadlift 5RM
Reverse Lunge 3x6-10
DB Romanian Deadlift 3x8-10
Leg Lifts 3x15
Decline Ab Crunch 2x10

I know i have made a mistake in my programming, although its probably not very serious. My main goal is to get my triceps strength/mass up as well as progress with my deadlift because i have just started deadlifting.

I was hesitant on whether i should place the DB Floor Press's as a supplemental exercise on Max Upper or as the main exercise on Rep Upper. If i do keep it on Rep Upper, iwll probably take out the triceps extentions. A little help would be appreciated. I am also wondering if it's a good idea to have Chinups/Pullups twice a week.

On ME Upper-

Barbell or DB row should be super-setted with a rear delt exercise.
Also you have no trap exercise.

Second day is suppose to be a DE lower day, but I can see what you’re doing there… I would suggest doing the squats as speed sets, using well below your 3x10RM

RE Upper-
Pull-ups aren’t really a rear-delt exercise.
Again no trap work.

ME Lower-
Why DB romanian rather than BB?
I know that I’d rather choose some other PC movement here, doing two DL variations would kill me.

Ok so now I’ll stop being picky about the minor details… I’m only doing it because really it’s not ws4sb’s once you make changes…

I’d say the choice to use Chins as supplemental on ME Upper is a good idea, keeps the program more balanced.

If you find your tri’s aren’t recovering after REP upper, which they likely won’t, don’t drop the tri-extensions, replace them with a bi-movement, as least you’ll be gaining something.

Chins/pull’s twice a week might not be so bad, but as I said, the lat pull down is suppose to be supersetted with a rear delt exercise, I don’t think pull-ups really count.

And I would really consider putting back in the trap work.

Other than that, it’s not a bad program.

Hope I helped!

Thanks.
I am doing the squats on DE Effort day until i notice fatigue or a stop in progress.
I know its not exactly wsfsb type program but i like the idea of ME and DE/RE days, but i’m not experienced enough to try a complete westside type program so i just made some tweaks and took out a lot of the volume. I will add some shrugs in i guess.

Here’s my program with the changes now. Sorry for double posting.

ME UPPER
Chinups 3x max
Barbell or DB Row whatevers available at the gym 3x8 SS w DB Power Cleans 3x8-10
Seated DB Curls 3x8

REP Lower
Front/Back Squat 3x10
Hyperextention 3x10

RE Upper
Lat Pulldown 3x10
DB Triceps Pushdown 3x10
FacePulls(instead of supersetting w/ lat pulldown) 3x10

ME Lower
Deadlift 5RM
Reverse Lunge 3x6-10
Leg Lifts 3x15
Decline Ab Crunch 2x10

[quote]boredlifter789 wrote:
Here’s my program with the changes now. Sorry for double posting.

ME UPPER
Chinups 3x max
Barbell or DB Row whatevers available at the gym 3x8 SS w DB Power Cleans 3x8-10
Seated DB Curls 3x8

REP Lower
Front/Back Squat 3x10
Hyperextention 3x10

RE Upper
Lat Pulldown 3x10
DB Triceps Pushdown 3x10
FacePulls(instead of supersetting w/ lat pulldown) 3x10

ME Lower
Deadlift 5RM
Reverse Lunge 3x6-10
Leg Lifts 3x15
Decline Ab Crunch 2x10 [/quote]

how often do you change the max effort exercise?

I have just started wsfsb3 three weeks ago, but before that i was benching heavy one day and then rep’s the next wrkout and so on, for around 3 months before i started. So i started three weeks ago doing bench as my max effort, but since i was benching before that, i made this cycle one week shorter then i usually will. From now on, I’m going to make the cycles 4 weeks long.

The mods make it look abit better IMO,
closer to ws4sb, which is obviously a good program.

If I could workout more than 2x week I’d def. consider doing it myself.
But due to sporting commitments I just can’t seem to handle that much work. Even the “inseason” template looks like alot to me.

Have you got a log somewhere online to track progress? I wouldn’t mind seein how it goes for you.
Or even if in the 4 weeks you could post your max’s here on the thread.
Just interested to see how it works out.

I might look into that. I log stuff on my own on paper in a spiral notebook, and try not to waste time on the internet because I am easily distracted.
I am weak and skinny though, so the log wouldn’t look very impressive.