WSFSB for Sprinter

Would you recommend WSFSB for an in-season sprinter competing at collegiate/pro level , substituting Repetition Effort for Dynamic Effort?

Age 19
Height 5’7"
Weight 160lbs

Bench-250x5
Deadlift-325x5
100m 10.78

Is that time FAT?

yes, ran it last year.
Im shooting for sub 10.5 this upcoming season.

That’s goddamn impressive time.

Upper Body Focus:

• Vertical Pulling

Google the “serape effect”, some coaches like Cressey have found a correlation between chinup numbers and sprinting speed (lat strength).

I’d be interested in seeing what others have to say about RE Lower training.

[quote]MPspeed wrote:
Would you recommend WSFSB for an in-season sprinter competing at collegiate/pro level , substituting Repetition Effort for Dynamic Effort?

Age 19
Height 5’7"
Weight 160lbs

Bench-250x5
Deadlift-325x5
100m 10.78[/quote]

for an in season sprinter, i would say no. i think that the lifts would take too much time, energy, and possibly something from the track. the weights when put in conjucntion with sprinting, should be secondary and probably more basic than this.

a real basic setup that has worked well is to simply do 3-4 meat and potatoe lifts each lifting session and to do so in a fasion where you can at some point deload and peak for sprint performance. i am sure there are ways to do this with WS4SB but i think it would be more complicated. i would suggest an example like such

Monday
incline bench
squat
weighted chin up

week 1 5x5 week 2 4x4 week 3 3x3 and week 4 do 3,2 with 4x4 weight. basic but works. on other days you could use lifts like RDL’s, incline bench, bent over row, power cleans, snatches, deadlifts, or any other compound movements.

if you wanted to add other lifts into the program, on off days you could do the bodybuilding recovery cirucuits advocated by sprint coach Mike Young.

its a serious of 10-12 isolation exercises done continuously with weight you can handle for 12 reps (but just do 10). its another form of recovery, that takes the pounding away from your body that tempo running could potentially do, and allows you to still do the ego lifts while boasting recovery and thereby performance.

could you do WS4SB in conjunction with sprint training in season for an 10.5 sprinter? Yes. would it be optimal, i would say no.

track first, lifting second, and keep things basic. all the best to you and i hope you acheive your goals and run even faster than 10.5FAT (which is smoking by the way)

AC

Nice time.

I’m surprised that you don’t have a coach writing your strength workouts.

I agree with SquatDR’s advice. WSFSB would better suited to being used in the off season, if at all.

My coach is not big on the weight lifting. He’s more into the old school body weight, plyos, and the sled that can be done at the track. So he leaves the lifting pretty much up to me.
I’ll look into the serape effect. Pull ups are a workout I always include.
Thanks for the lifting advice SquatDr. I did something similar during my last program. I did a push/pull split 3x3 then three weeks of olympic lifts 4x3 with sled and hill workouts.

It would be pretty good for off-season work, as has been said, but it’s probably not that great a choice for in-season work.