T Nation

WSBFSB Question

Hey Guys,

Thanks to everyone who suggested the Westside Program, its one of my favorite progs ever. I just have one question though; the only exercise I can’t complete is the 4X12 PullUp/ChinUp on repetition day. Is there another rep scheme I use until I can perform that many?

Thanks.

There is not set program. If you can’t do pullups, either do as many as you can or switch to a different movement.

Do a search for the Periodization Bible, that is where those ideas came from and you can design your own program from it.

I agree with mattwray. just to tag onto his reply:

1. try changing your grip. if you’re using pronated, most people find either a neutral or closegrip supinated to be easier

2. do them assisted with bands. If you dont know what I’m talking about do a search on this website or go to elitefts’ exercise index

3. (and this is my personal preference) set 48 reps as a goal and try to complete it in as few sets as possible. since you’re aiming for 4x12, i would stop at 12 on the first and second sets even if you can do more.

My suggestions are the same as KBCThird’s. Try changing the grip from pronated to supinated(chin-ups). That will usually give you some extra reps.

• Set your goal as the total number of reps.

• If nothing works, do as many pull-ups/chin-ups and then use the pulldown machine.

G

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
I agree with mattwray. just to tag onto his reply:

1. try changing your grip. if you’re using pronated, most people find either a neutral or closegrip supinated to be easier

2. do them assisted with bands. If you dont know what I’m talking about do a search on this website or go to elitefts’ exercise index

3. (and this is my personal preference) set 48 reps as a goal and try to complete it in as few sets as possible. since you’re aiming for 4x12, i would stop at 12 on the first and second sets even if you can do more.[/quote]

try 12sets of 4reps with shorter rests