WSB Olympic Lifting Program

flabtoslab, I’m not disagreeing w/ the tier system in any way. However, you say the dynamic effort lift is w/ a light weight so it shouldn’t be too taxing? I disagree w/ that. The dynamic effort lifts are not easy. The goal is to produce maximum force w/ short rest periods. Ask the guys @ westside. In order to benefit from dynamic effort work, one needs to put forth great effort and intensity. You may not be handling heavy weights like on max effort days, but you damn sure better be working your ass off.

The following link is about Roy Hilligen who in the 1950s trained 6 days a week when the 3 day a week schedule was almost sacred; 3 days of OL and 3 days of heavy strength training. The result was a 375lb C&J at a bodyweight of 173; which tied the World Record for the C&J at the time.

http://cbass.com/Hilligenn.htm

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

[quote]elars21 wrote:
Louie doesn’t understand that the OL’s are most optimally trained at 95-100%. A Clean at %60 is much different than a clean at %100. Not even that much faster, but different in the way it is performed. You have to be “dynamic” or you’ll miss the lift. I agree that improving your squat along with exercises like GHR, reverse hyper, etc but this article had little insight. Louie would not make it as a OL coach.[/quote]

According to Medvedyev, average relative intensities applied by Russian lifters were approximately 74% in the snatch and 75% in the clean and jerk (between 1966 and 1981). Between 1968 and 1980, during the 30 days prior to competition, 60% of all lifts (press, snatch and clean & Jerk) were trained at intensities of 71-90% with only 5% of lifts trained at an intensity greater than 90%. Incidentally, 35% of all lifts were performed at intensities between 50 and 70%. Let us not forget that Westside protocals are predicated on Eastern European olympic lifting practices, so to speak of WSB olympic lifting protocols is somewhat ridiculous.