WS4SB3 and the Squat

If you can assess what is holding you back in your squat, then work on that accordingly. I know people like to say just squat, but sometimes it isn’t going to help much if you have a weak back or lagging hamstrings.

More importantly is what are your goals? If squat is your priority, then you might want to consider another approach than WS4Sb3. If you are an athlete, then you need to train differently from someone who wants to drive up there squat.

Good progress man, 2 things though that’ll help you and save you from injury. Don’t use boxes, powerracks are the king when it comes to building strength because it allows you to overload and move the wieght from various positions,

Negative Movements;

Take the powerack and set the bars, in this case shortly below parallel and place the Olympic bar on the safety bars, load it with roughly 75% of your max and do 5 sets, 3 reps in each set and focus on explosiveness.

The purpose of starting at the bottom of the movement is that you are essentially moving deadwieght, there is no stored kinetic energy and you are strictly moving the weight with the maximum force your body can apply. Doing the movement this way will also get you accustomed to having the weight at the bottom position, you can also go further down on wieght and go hamstring to calves in the “pitt” if you wanna call it that for full range and build up from there.

The Negative principles work for any movement pushing aginest gravity (presses,squats,etc)

Hope this helps

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
mahwah wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
…ATG? High bar? Low bar? Please be specific… And please don’t urge me to brag. (…not that I have anything to brag… lol.)

good fucking grief

What is the most amount of weight you can put on your back and squat, and get 3 white lights?

I don’t care about the specifics.

You offer up such great advice and thoughtful ideas, let’s see what it has yielded.

I’ll be attempting 405 soon (Wide stance, low bar, only to parallel).
[/quote]

I’d lol’d.

Mister, when you’re moving that sorts of weight, just freaking squat, and squat alot, and you will grow stronger, no need to make it harder than it is.

I’m 16, and i HAVE squatted 407. High bar, below parallel, to suit your need for detail.
I just squat, I don’t rotate, estimate or anything, I just squat alot.

No pics, not even a profile and bragging… I smellllllllll Bullshit. This is not “Who can squat the most topic” its some guy asking how to improve his squat. Tell your coach or dad, who ever had his nuts in your asscrack lifting 200lbs of it for you to take away your computer privileges lol.

[quote]LjSimpson08 wrote:
No pics, not even a profile and bragging… I smellllllllll Bullshit. This is not “Who can squat the most topic” its some guy asking how to improve his squat. Tell your coach or dad, who ever had his nuts in your asscrack lifting 200lbs of it for you to take away your computer privileges lol.[/quote]

Try to show who you’re writing next time you write somebody. We have a quote function.

I think it’s me though, and my proof is here Jonatan squat - YouTube

Anyhow, it was not ment for bragging, more that you can easily become good at squatting just by squatting.

I think you’re bullshit.

[quote]mahwah wrote:
Keep dodging and dancing.

I’m not talking about attempting or estimating. I’m not talking about what your mancrushes can do. I am not asking about a clean and jerk.

You, Type2B, what is the most weight that you, yourself, has put on your back and squatted past parallel and stood back up with?

Just a number, not a fucking paragraph long explanation.

I don’t think I can be any more direct.[/quote]

I’ve only done 365 a few months ago… :frowning:

Please don’t mock me. Please spare my already low self esteem.

[quote]jonatan-shg wrote:
LjSimpson08 wrote:
No pics, not even a profile and bragging… I smellllllllll Bullshit. This is not “Who can squat the most topic” its some guy asking how to improve his squat. Tell your coach or dad, who ever had his nuts in your asscrack lifting 200lbs of it for you to take away your computer privileges lol.

Try to show who you’re writing next time you write somebody. We have a quote function.

Anyhow, it was not ment for bragging, more that you can easily become good at squatting just by squatting.

I think you’re bullshit.[/quote]

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Lmao epic bullshit, the guys profile on that video says he’s 23. Get bent hahaha.

And yes you can become good at squatting by just squatting, but its a major lift and all major lifts are a mind game just as much as they are throwing the weight up. Which is why using a powerrack works, you know your not going to get crushed so you can build confidence with the weight as well as moving the weight from a dead position without concentric/kenetic energy stored from the decent of the lift, which has been proven to stimulate more muscle fibers and better neuro firing… not to mention it releases more natural growth hormone and test.

Go watch some more Youtube and pretend thats you.

jonatan-shg wrote:
LjSimpson08 wrote:

I think you’re bullshit.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Lmao epic bullshit, the guys profile on that video says he’s 23. Get bent hahaha.

And yes you can become good at squatting by just squatting, but its a major lift and all major lifts are a mind game just as much as they are throwing the weight up. Which is why using a powerrack works, you know your not going to get crushed so you can build confidence with the weight as well as moving the weight from a dead position without concentric/kenetic energy stored from the decent of the lift, which has been proven to stimulate more muscle fibers and better neuro firing… not to mention it releases more natural growth hormone and test.

[/quote]

What an idiot, you are. I added my name in the text. Go watch it again and you will see, that it is indeed me. You, my man, are a fool. :o)

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
Astar wrote:
I don’t want to come accross as one of those “all you need for squat is squat” guys but I believe there are huge benefits to doing the lift you want to improve more frequently. Nothing will grove your motor patterns or build the muscle you need to squat like squats. Once you develop some competence with the lift then you can start examining weak points and looking to specialty exercises but for a beginner (I’m assuming you are) the best way to increase your squat is to squat more

I agree with this comment… I’m just wondering how best to fit it in with WS4SB3 template. I don’t want to mess with it too much because another common piece of advice is to not tinker with a tried and proven system, just stick with it.

My second exercise on the DE and ME days is usually Bulgarian Split Squat, and once in a while I’ll do weighted step ups above the knee.

Perhaps for my main movement on the DE day, rather than a jump, I could do some light/explosive squats for 8 sets of 1-3 reps every other week?

For ME, should I just stick to a box squat below parallel? Or, should I do as suggested and cycle below parallel box squats, squats, and above parallel box squats?

Running a Smolov cycle would be great… however I remember reading that you should do it during a time where you have 13 weeks that don’t require much else out of you, and to plan on eating a whole lot of food. Well, I always have a bunch of school work, and I work two jobs, don’t have much money, can’t afford to eat whatever my heart desires, and also do other things over the summer such as tennis and basketball. I know a typical response is that if I want it bad enough, I could find a way to make more money, and do it. I’m sure I could… but that time is better spent on school work… it’s definitely priority.

I’m just looking to navigate through WS4SB3 in such a way as to benefit my squat. So I need to know which exercises to choose from the options given, how to pair them up, how to cycle through them etc. I’d love to be in a place where I could dedicate more time to my training, eat more/better food etc. Unfortunately I’m not there yet… doesn’t mean I have to be a skinny bastard though lol.

Stats by the way:

In February of this year:

5’9, 146lbs, 24yrs old

Bench: 175lbs x 4
Squat: 145lbs x 3
Deadlift: 225lbs x 4

NOW

5’9, 172lbs, 24yrs old

Bench: 225lbs x 5, 250lbs x 1
Squat: 185lbs x 5 (box below parallel). Guessing 225lbs x 1 free squat
Deadlift: 315lbs x 3, 355lbs x 1

Not great… but good for a few months of work.[/quote]

I follow the same similar template (except I do the Washed-Up Meathead version).

I do agree with a few posts so far, you should stick with the basic full squat for the most part, but since this template is designed to rotate ME movements, you can still do that. Your best bets are what you’ve arealdy stated. Low box squats, parallel box squats, above parallel box squats and of course standard full back squats.

Since your somewhat weak on these lifts, you may want to run them for 4 weeks or even longer, and you have a few options as to how high to go on your ME lift. Defranco recommends a 3-5RM which is great, I like to do 5 singles @90% or more of my 1RM for that lift (but that’s only because I know what that number actually is) somedays instead of a 5RM or whatever.

Just keep it simple man. Follow the template, keep squatting, keep adding weight, stay consistant, make sure you get your fucking abs and lower back strong, eat more, sleep more…you get it.

LjSimpson08 wrote:
jonatan-shg wrote:
LjSimpson08 wrote:

I think you’re bullshit.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What an idiot, you are. I added my name in the text. Go watch it again and you will see, that it is indeed me. You, my man, are a fool. :o)[/quote]

The profile on youtube of the guy squatting says 23, you told me you were 16. I can go find a video of some guy benching 700lbs and says thats me or a guy deadlifting 800lbs and say thats me. Get a life boy.

As far as the original point of the article you can also try doing cycled set routine, Wk 1 - 5x5, Wk 2 - 6 x 4, Wk 3 - 6 x 3, Wk 4 - 8 x 3. The important thing and I’m sure any workout will benefit from it is keep at 85% of your max if your trying for strength.

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
Astar wrote:
I don’t want to come accross as one of those “all you need for squat is squat” guys but I believe there are huge benefits to doing the lift you want to improve more frequently. Nothing will grove your motor patterns or build the muscle you need to squat like squats. Once you develop some competence with the lift then you can start examining weak points and looking to specialty exercises but for a beginner (I’m assuming you are) the best way to increase your squat is to squat more

I agree with this comment… I’m just wondering how best to fit it in with WS4SB3 template. I don’t want to mess with it too much because another common piece of advice is to not tinker with a tried and proven system, just stick with it.

My second exercise on the DE and ME days is usually Bulgarian Split Squat, and once in a while I’ll do weighted step ups above the knee.

Perhaps for my main movement on the DE day, rather than a jump, I could do some light/explosive squats for 8 sets of 1-3 reps every other week?

For ME, should I just stick to a box squat below parallel? Or, should I do as suggested and cycle below parallel box squats, squats, and above parallel box squats?

Running a Smolov cycle would be great… however I remember reading that you should do it during a time where you have 13 weeks that don’t require much else out of you, and to plan on eating a whole lot of food. Well, I always have a bunch of school work, and I work two jobs, don’t have much money, can’t afford to eat whatever my heart desires, and also do other things over the summer such as tennis and basketball. I know a typical response is that if I want it bad enough, I could find a way to make more money, and do it. I’m sure I could… but that time is better spent on school work… it’s definitely priority.

I’m just looking to navigate through WS4SB3 in such a way as to benefit my squat. So I need to know which exercises to choose from the options given, how to pair them up, how to cycle through them etc. I’d love to be in a place where I could dedicate more time to my training, eat more/better food etc. Unfortunately I’m not there yet… doesn’t mean I have to be a skinny bastard though lol.

Stats by the way:

In February of this year:

5’9, 146lbs, 24yrs old

Bench: 175lbs x 4
Squat: 145lbs x 3
Deadlift: 225lbs x 4

NOW

5’9, 172lbs, 24yrs old

Bench: 225lbs x 5, 250lbs x 1
Squat: 185lbs x 5 (box below parallel). Guessing 225lbs x 1 free squat
Deadlift: 315lbs x 3, 355lbs x 1

Not great… but good for a few months of work.[/quote]

That’s good progress, if I were you on ME day I would squat and rotate the loading rather than the exercise. For example I’d suggest doing a ramped 5x5 for three weeks, so in week one you would work up to a challenging but doable set of 5, on week two work up to your 5RM, and on week three add 5-10 lbs. and try to set a new 5RM. That’s pretty similar to the ME deFranco endorses, just with a few parameters for working up to your top set. I’d then switch to doing straight 5x5 with a weight in the 70-80 % zone, each week trying to add five pounds or so and get all five sets of five. Then take a lighter week and go back to the ramping method. One your second leg day I’d suggest doing something like 3-4x5 with a lighter weight, maybe around 70%. It’s not the most glamourous training but it will give you plenty of reps and enough sets to allow you to work on your walkout and setup (I feel the most important and overlooked part of a big squat) staying tight, keeping your elbows down and all those other little techniques that are important for squatting and can only really be learned by practicing.

Double post.

Anyhow, why stay at exactaly 85%?
I’ve had good gains with sheiko, that’s usually sub 85%.

The profile on youtube of the guy squatting says 23, you told me you were 16. I can go find a video of some guy benching 700lbs and says thats me or a guy deadlifting 800lbs and say thats me. Get a life boy.

[/quote]

Some music you can’t listen to if you list sub 18 in your profile.
If changing the text is not enough proof, then what is?
I think you’re the dumbass, who just won’t face, that some people are more passionate about their training than you.
How do you want me to prove, that it is indeed me?

LjSimpson08 wrote:

I think you’re the dumbass, who just won’t face, that some people are more passionate about their training than you.
How do you want me to prove, that it is indeed me?[/quote]

It really does not matter to me if it is you or not, I was merely stating a point. As far as why you should stick to 85% its simple.

Its been proven by alot of powerlifters that 85% is the magic number, you really can’t get 6 reps with it without a spotter and burning yourself out and with only doing 5 reps it you’ll be able to do 5 sets. Prime example, I’ll do Floor Presses or Rack squats with the rack set below parallel on my elbows or knees depending on the exercise. Do like 5 reps of a easy weight to warm up and then 3 sets of 2-3 reps at 90-95% of your max (with it being dead weight you’ll be hard pressed to do more) with a hold at the top of the movement and focus on exploding up. When you get to your primary strength builder, in this case the squat for his legs your body has already become accustomed to the stress of lifting a dead wieght (a wieght that has no concentric/kenetic energy) so the force that your lowerbody was previously exerting for the 3 low rep sets is enough to move 85% of your weight easily, and if you constantly lift 85% of your max for reps then your max will jump up fairly quick.

Lifting is physical as well as mental so keep this in mind, if you know you can lift it subconsciously then you can lift it.

I’ve been able to add 5-10 lbs every week to my bench and squat for the past month since I’ve been doing this and both my squat max and bench max is past 500 and 400 respectively.

jonatan-shg wrote:
LjSimpson08 wrote:

How do you want me to prove, that it is indeed me?

It really does not matter to me if it is you or not, I was merely stating a point. As far as why you should stick to 85% its simple.

Its been proven by alot of powerlifters that 85% is the magic number, you really can’t get 6 reps with it without a spotter and burning yourself out and with only doing 5 reps it you’ll be able to do 5 sets. Prime example, I’ll do Floor Presses or Rack squats with the rack set below parallel on my elbows or knees depending on the exercise. Do like 5 reps of a easy weight to warm up and then 3 sets of 2-3 reps at 90-95% of your max (with it being dead weight you’ll be hard pressed to do more) with a hold at the top of the movement and focus on exploding up. When you get to your primary strength builder, in this case the squat for his legs your body has already become accustomed to the stress of lifting a dead wieght (a wieght that has no concentric/kenetic energy) so the force that your lowerbody was previously exerting for the 3 low rep sets is enough to move 85% of your weight easily, and if you constantly lift 85% of your max for reps then your max will jump up fairly quick.

Lifting is physical as well as mental so keep this in mind, if you know you can lift it subconsciously then you can lift it.

I’ve been able to add 5-10 lbs every week to my bench and squat for the past month since I’ve been doing this and both my squat max and bench max is past 500 and 400 respectively.[/quote]

Well, I just see no reason that I should lie about whar I can and cannot do. I can Squat 185kg, I cannot squat 200kg, I wish I could, though. I can only bench 120kg, I suck at benching.

Anyhow, what you are suggesting is somthing like

Main exercise of the day
Warming up
2-3x90-95% (what RM?)
5x5x85% 1RM

I’m not sure, that I would be able to handle such a high intensity for several consecutive weeks. Also, it is well known, that doing 90%+ for three consecutive weeks is too hard on the cns.

Maybe I’m just a noob, but would you mind describing it in an easier to read fashion?

Sure,

(being serious with this next stuff) Go stand in a doorway and push up as hard as you can with all the force your deltoids can muster against the frame do this for 30 seconds, when you step out of the frame your muscles will drag your arms up to almost parrel to the floor, but the stress placed upon the actual tendon was minimal.

The rack press functions in a similar fashion, by pushing a dead weight with near maximum effort your nervous system expects that when you do the 5 x 5 on bench that is way heavier than it actually is. The tempo should be 2;1;2 so when your at the top of the movement (just below lockout) hold it and lower it down slowly. By only doing 3 reps you avoid the normal stresses involved in doing 95% of your maximum because it really does not have time to wear in.

When you move to the primary exercise of doing 5 x 5 its akin to moving out of the door frame, the 85% will feel more like 65% simply because the maximum amount of muscle fibers and concentric energy are working towards moving the weight, and while yes its pretty much you tricking the body into doing it the end result is still changed. You get stronger faster.

The bad news it only works with pushing movements, all pressing movements and squats.

Hope that clears it up.

This site is terrible on posting. Sometimes I post something, it doesn’t show up for hours, and then when I post something new, both that and the old one appears. o.O

Anyhow, you’re suggesting 3x3 on top end ROM before doing the actual movement? Or is it more of an isometric hold? If you can link a youtube movie it would be great.

Anyhow, on the movie site, it seems impossible to make you believe, which is odd. I’ll post video from a meet in 2-3 weeks time, I can put my name on there. I think you should believe in peoples statements, unless they are totally unrealistic.

For all those who doubt where Andy Bolton trains, please add me on Facebook and you will see all the guys who I train with, including Andy. You can then ask them to confirm.

Alternatively, please come to Rall’s Gym, Mabgate, Leeds, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom.