T Nation

WS4SB Question

It might seem obvious but I can’t find the answer.

What rest times are meant to be used.

I’m guessing just instinctive rests. Except on the repetition upper body day.

But it might change for different lifts.

Any help appreciated.

As much as you need to lift heavier weights or the same amount of weight more times between sets.

One ME, this may be between 2-5 minutes on your heaviest sets.

On RE supersets, probably between 1 and 2 minutes.

Fit your entire workout in keeping it under an hour.

Generally, the stronger you are, the more rest you’ll need to perform optimally. This is especially true with the very high rep RE main movement on the RE Upper Body days. Someone using 40lb DBs for their first set and hitting 15 reps with it will need less rest than the guy using 100lb DBs and hitting 15 reps. The dropoff between sets will also usually be larger in the stronger individual.

-Matt

I agree, usually about 90 to 120 secs. on accessory work, 3-5 on ME.

However, as for the RE movements, I think you’re supposed to stick with exactly 60 seconds generally on those. That’s part of why it works. You’re trying to do more reps each workout, with a very short rest between sets.

Just my $.02 ::shrug::

Kubo

[quote]MikeKubo wrote:

However, as for the RE movements, I think you’re supposed to stick with exactly 60 seconds generally on those. That’s part of why it works. You’re trying to do more reps each workout, with a very short rest between sets.

Kubo[/quote]

Yes in general the RE and acc 60 or so but main thing that you can MOVE some quality load and for WS4SB stick to a consistent rest like the above said your trying to beat last weeks performance.

But if your looking for the reasoning behind the rest period etc I say well read up on westside here and elses where the periodization bible etc.

In short three good ways to tap the fast twitch fibers MAX effort HEAVY load, Dymanic Effort FAST, an RE your repping and each time you tap more fibers as well the shorter rest make one tap into that fiber pool more and more as well

Phill

[quote]MikeKubo wrote:

Kubo[/quote]

Yes in general the RE and acc 60 or so but main thing that you can MOVE some quality load and for WS4SB stick to a consistent rest like the above said your trying to beat last weeks performance.

But if your looking for the reasoning behind the rest period etc I say well read up on westside here and elses where the periodization bible etc.

In short three good ways to tap the fast twitch fibers MAX effort HEAVY load, Dymanic Effort FAST, an RE your repping and each time you tap more fibers as well the shorter rest make one tap into that fiber pool more and more as well

Phill