T Nation

WS4SB 1 or 3?

I am currently on Bill Starrs 5x5 intermediate. My goal is to get my maxes up to where they were last year before my shoulder injury. This time at a much lighter body weight.

The plan was to finish up with 5x5 than do a year of CW’s TBT workouts. I am now considering trying westside out before the TBT routines. I think I would gain more strength from WS.

I have a few questions.

Would it be better for me to start with WS4SB 1 or 3? One looks better for a first time westside lifter but WS4SB 111 the improved version.

How long does the average WS day last? I have the time to lift every day, just don’t have time for workouts laster over an hour.

Should the max lifts be switched every 3-4 weeks? I read something about that on here but want to be clear.

Thanks

probably between 45 minutes and 75 minutes per session.

If you aren’t doing th eextra sports related shit be sure to add a second lower body day.

also lok at:
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/westside-barbell-basic-template-469668.html

if you aren’t training for plifting do RE instead of DE

any other questions?

How do you work up to a max set of 3 or 5 reps?

just add weight for 3-5 reps, 3-5 sets?

ok heres the big question.

Should I wait until I gain some decent strength using more intermediate 5x5 and TBT routines before I start a more advanced style like Westside?

[quote]DF85 wrote:
How do you work up to a max set of 3 or 5 reps?

just add weight for 3-5 reps, 3-5 sets?[/quote]

pretty much

as of late my reps on bench for example have looked like

or something similar, I’ll probably switch it up again soon.

I think the point is to improve your maxes in the 3 to 5 rep range. so just push heavy weights until you can’t to it anymore. In strength programs typically anything under 6 reps is servicable for a ME lift in a routine.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
ok heres the big question.

Should I wait until I gain some decent strength using more intermediate 5x5 and TBT routines before I start a more advanced style like Westside?

[/quote]

do westside now. It isn’t as advanced as some of us would like to think.

I have a month left on Starr’s 5x5. I have till than to read up on westside style. I already printed out WS4SB 1. I think I will take your advice and add in a second lowerbody day since I am not doing anything sports specific. I will be rowing and doing neck work twice a week thou.

Thanks for the info

[quote]DF85 wrote:
I have a month left on Starr’s 5x5. I have till than to read up on westside style. I already printed out WS4SB 1. I think I will take your advice and add in a second lowerbody day since I am not doing anything sports specific. I will be rowing and doing neck work twice a week thou.

Thanks for the info[/quote]

sounds great…you should keep a log on here when you start it.

what to you percieve your excersise choices will be?

For Max Upper Body I am going to do dips. I always loved weighed dips and would rather do them than bench. Suppmelemtal lift I will do flat DB bench. Row will be one arm DB. rear delt and upper back is going to be Bent-over dumbbell rear delt flyes.

For lowerbody I will go with squats for the first few weeks, than switch to DL.

My choices are somewhat limited since I workout at home. I do not have any cables, just free weights, rack, hyperextension chair, pullup/dip tower etc etc.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
For Max Upper Body I am going to do dips. I always loved weighed dips and would rather do them than bench. Suppmelemtal lift I will do flat DB bench. Row will be one arm DB. rear delt and upper back is going to be Bent-over dumbbell rear delt flyes.

For lowerbody I will go with squats for the first few weeks, than switch to DL.

My choices are somewhat limited since I workout at home. I do not have any cables, just free weights, rack, hyperextension chair, pullup/dip tower etc etc.

[/quote]

cool. I used to love having big weight around my waist and dipping, but it reaks havoc on my shoulders, and oddly my ribs. It was easy having big weight around my waiste because Im so damn light.

I had a shoulder injury Jan 07. I feel it benching but not when doing weighted dips. My biggest fear is messing up my shoulder now that I am gettin serious about lifting/diet. I do 3-4 prehab sessions a month. That keeps my shoulder feel alright.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
I had a shoulder injury Jan 07. I feel it benching but not when doing weighted dips. My biggest fear is messing up my shoulder now that I am gettin serious about lifting/diet. I do 3-4 prehab sessions a month. That keeps my shoulder feel alright.[/quote]

yeah I hear you, I keep fucking up my right shoulder benching.

I need to make an RE lower body day yet than decide on how I am going to set the week up. I think I will do Mon. on Tue off Wed on Thu off Fri on Sat off Sun on.

I am guessing I should rest 60-90s on the supplemental lifts?

For warm up I was thinking 3-5 min rowing than the mobility comles with just the bar.

I am on my feet 12 hours a day (@ work) so I am going to wait until I am use to this style of training before adding in the 2nd lower body day.

I might start WS4SB on monday. Unless I take a week off before starting this.

thanks