T Nation

Wrong Date on Car Title

I just bought a car from a private party, and today when I took the title down to the insurance company the lady there pointed out that when the guy signed it he used the wrong date. He signed it 10/24 when in fact the transaction occurred on the 25th.

Does anyone know if this will actually make a difference when I go to register the car? She seemed to think it might.

How will they know that the transaction actually took place on that date.

Heres something for future note, never let them date the title or paperwork!

I don’t know about you, or where you are, but here, if you go over a time period of when the documents are dated to file, you pay penalties.

I think as long as you dont get hit with that problem, you will be alright.

[quote]johnward82 wrote:
How will they know that the transaction actually took place on that date.

Heres something for future note, never let them date the title or paperwork!

I don’t know about you, or where you are, but here, if you go over a time period of when the documents are dated to file, you pay penalties.

I think as long as you dont get hit with that problem, you will be alright.[/quote]

The problem is that I used the correct date when I signed. It shouldn’t be a big deal, but knowing Massachusetts, and knowing the RMV, they’ll probably screw me over.

So who says you signed it the same day.

I cant imagine you would get hassled. Whats the point.

Hell I have had to sign signatures on many title change apps because I forgot to have one with me when I bought/sold the cars.

I vote don’t worry.