Writing Your Own Program

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Because there is no “perfect” program. It does not exist. There is only you lifting heavy enough to grow, eating enough to grow and allowing your body to rest enough to grow. Period.

All of the attention you are no doubt giving to specific rep ranges does NOT matter that much at all and the guy who learns to listen to his own body will always be miles ahead of the guy who actually has to do research just to figure out how to train his entire body once a week.

I understand that some of you claim there are no larger lifters at your gyms and that is why you act like this…because you have no one to observe, but this is ridiculous. There is a reason no one ever needed to a PhD to get huge. The basics work. They always have and always will.

While most of you sit around having mental orgasms at the release of this or that amazing new program, what are the big guys actually doing? Are they switching their fucking routine every two to six weeks and worrying about 5x5 this or TBT that? Of course not.

I am not sure why that gets overlooked so easily…but of course, all of that info is clearly doing so much for you.

Go sit in a college biology classroom before you worry that much about what gets written here from certain authors.

Go watch the big guys train before you give that much credit to a specific program with a catchy “new” title.[/quote]

Read this and listen. The best way to get big and strong is to lift, eat, sleep, and repeat.

And if you make a program that you enjoy, you will get good results. Why? Because you like the program, and you want to go and workout even more. Just do it.

As weird and counter intuitive as this may sound, I really believe your own program, broadly speaking, will find you if you’re paying attention to the right things.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:

And if you make a program that you enjoy, you will get good results. Why? Because you like the program, and you want to go and workout even more. Just do it.[/quote]

Cannot say better, ENJOYED and no needs for complication…

Good program no intensity = bad results
bad program with crazy intensity = good results

Of course learning will not kill you!!

have fun

Wow. seriously thank you for all the intuitive feedback.

I really am grasping what you all are saying, especially about just getting my hands dirty and going in with two feet. Finding a program I like and thaty will find me will surely help as I have followed other ready made ones that i get so sick of. I think i’ll puke if i do another run of TBT, especially circuits!. I know my routine will def. be a split routine.

When you all say “learn from the big guys”…yeah kind of a problem at my gym. I work out at the YMCA near my house. I usually run into soccer moms there and among guys lifting, most of the time I am in better shape. Yeah a bigger guy walks in every now and then, but that is usually the last I see of him. Even if he is big he is usually really fat anyways.

Most of my inspiration comes from this site and seeing other peoples posts. This thread is and will push me to get off ready made programs. I will have to make a point to post what i finally decide to embark on once I decide to get constructive criticism.

p.s.
Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, he ate a fucking Indian.

yeah man just get in there and watch as time goes by your “program” is going to seem tailor made because through trial and tribulation youll be able to find what you like, what rep ranges are good etc and obviously what sucks and will never be done again. no program is gonna reach out to you and calibrate everything you need the only way you can do it is to go out and try shit man.

Okay guys here is a mock program. By no means great. Actually to you all it might suck ass or look boring…i don’t know. Anyways it’s my first effort. I just wanted to write one out today and see where it went.

PLEASE feel free to bust my ass on anything on it. Thought it would be appropriate to try after all this talk about it and all your guys great help. Once again THANK YOU :wink:

Workout A

Back Squat 8x4-6 (rest 100 secs)

Leg Exten 4x8-10 (rest 60s)

DB Static Lunge 5x10-12 (Rest 45s)

BB Calve Raise 3x30 (Rest 60s)

Workout B

A1- BB Bench Press 5x5 (rest 45s)
A2- BB Row (Supinated Grip) 5x5 (Rest 45s)

B1DB Incline Press 4x6-8 (Rest 45s)
B2Wide Grip (Prone) Cable Row 4x6-8 (rest 45s)

21’s with Triangle on Cable Row

Workout C (2Days Later)

Standing BB Curl (10 Sec rest in between grip changes)
2x8-10 Med Grip
2x6-8 Wide Grip
2x4-6 Narrow Grip

Lyin Tricep Exten w/ EZ bar 6x4-6 (60s)

Zottman Curl 5x8-10 (60s)

Sincle DB Tri Exten 5x8-10 (60s)

DB Hammer Curl 5x10-12 (35s)

One Arm Cable Reverse Pressdown 5x10-12 (35s)

Workout D (next Day)

Romanian Deadlit 8x4-6 (100s)

Leg Curl 4x6-8 (90s)

Good Mornings
1x15 (90s)
1x12 (90s)
1x10 (90s)
1x8 (45s)

BB shrugs (Wide Grip) 3x8 (45s)

Workout E (Two Days Later)

Pull Up 6x4-6 (100s)

Standing Shoulder Press 6x4-6 (90s)

Pulldowns (Supinated) 6x3 (70s)

DB Lateral Raises 5x10-12 (60s)

The rest periods are kind of ambiguous, I am still on the fence about them. Thanks again for any and all constructive criticism! =)

[quote]AlterEgo721 wrote:
Okay guys here is a mock program. By no means great. Actually to you all it might suck ass or look boring…i don’t know. Anyways it’s my first effort. I just wanted to write one out today and see where it went.

PLEASE feel free to bust my ass on anything on it. Thought it would be appropriate to try after all this talk about it and all your guys great help. Once again THANK YOU :wink:

Workout A

Workout B

Workout C (2Days Later)

2x8-10 Med Grip
2x6-8 Wide Grip
2x4-6 Narrow Grip

Workout D (next Day)

Leg Curl 4x6-8 (90s)

Good Mornings
1x15 (90s)
1x12 (90s)
1x10 (90s)
1x8 (45s)

Pull Up 6x4-6 (100s)

The rest periods are kind of ambiguous, I am still on the fence about them. Thanks again for any and all constructive criticism! =) [/quote]

I commend you on your decision to write your own program and I agree with you in that are a lot of different takes on how to do so and it can feel overwhelming.
I appologize if I missed it in your post earlier but what specifically do you hope to accomplish with this program? Is your goal size, speed, strength? A mistake I see many people make in regards to program design is they don’t have a clear goal in mind (I am ot criticizing as I have been guilty of this in the past as well).
Are there any imbalaces you need to correct? What is your work/rest schedule like?

[quote]laroyal wrote:
AlterEgo721 wrote:

Workout A

Workout B

Workout C (2Days Later)

2x8-10 Med Grip
2x6-8 Wide Grip
2x4-6 Narrow Grip

Workout D (next Day)

Leg Curl 4x6-8 (90s)

Good Mornings
1x15 (90s)
1x12 (90s)
1x10 (90s)
1x8 (45s)

Pull Up 6x4-6 (100s)

The rest periods are kind of ambiguous, I am still on the fence about them. Thanks again for any and all constructive criticism! =)

I commend you on your decision to write your own program and I agree with you in that are a lot of different takes on how to do so and it can feel overwhelming.
I appologize if I missed it in your post earlier but what specifically do you hope to accomplish with this program? Is your goal size, speed, strength? A mistake I see many people make in regards to program design is they don’t have a clear goal in mind (I am ot criticizing as I have been guilty of this in the past as well).
Are there any imbalaces you need to correct? What is your work/rest schedule like?
[/quote]

The goal is size with priority to upper body specifically arms. also calves specified. Those are my weak points. The rests are right after each exercise, although those are up in the air for change if need be.

Thanks for the positive feedback =)

What are your goals lately?

My ultimate goal 190 with 5-6% BF

Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
I’m going to go against the grain and recommend you continue reading.

Did you think anyone here meant he should stop learning…or do you really only associate learning with reading more articles about rep ranges?[/quote]

Not really sure where you’re going with this…nowhere did I insinuate that you were telling him to stop learning. However, you did strongly imply that he should quit reading and just fucking do it. I agree that he should just fucking do it, but I also think he should continue to read. So again, I’m not really sure what your point is.

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
I’m going to go against the grain and recommend you continue reading.

Did you think anyone here meant he should stop learning…or do you really only associate learning with reading more articles about rep ranges?

Not really sure where you’re going with this…nowhere did I insinuate that you were telling him to stop learning. However, you did strongly imply that he should quit reading and just fucking do it. I agree that he should just fucking do it, but I also think he should continue to read. So again, I’m not really sure what your point is.

[/quote]

My point is, while articles here can be a resource for those simply looking for more info, dropping a beginner into the middle of a sea of contradicting information because of individual author bias is a huge fucking mistake.

It is the same mistake we see people on this board making all damn day.

We already know a couple of authors here actually despise big muscles to some degree or at least have never actually built themselves up to any significant degree making their opinion often jaded when it comes to those with goals above average.

While someone with a solid background in the sciences can determine what info is valuable and what is worthless, a rank newbie with little educational background will have no base of knowledge to pull from. They will assume everything they read is simply truth without question.

If you want to actually BECOME someone others go to for info, then educate yourself, not in random opinion or simple theory, but in real world science held as fact and by observing those who have actually done it with their own bodies.

I am more interested in why that needed an explanation.

I rarely read the articles here, not because I consider them worthless, but more because I am not interested in someone’s opinion of theory or application of a scientific study conducted on middle aged sedentary men/women (or rats) to young bodybuilders.

I learned more from training with and speaking with people who actually got big.

[quote]AlterEgo721 wrote:
laroyal wrote:
AlterEgo721 wrote:

Workout A

Workout B

Workout C (2Days Later)

2x8-10 Med Grip
2x6-8 Wide Grip
2x4-6 Narrow Grip

Workout D (next Day)

Leg Curl 4x6-8 (90s)

Good Mornings
1x15 (90s)
1x12 (90s)
1x10 (90s)
1x8 (45s)

Pull Up 6x4-6 (100s)

The goal is size with priority to upper body specifically arms. also calves specified. Those are my weak points. The rests are right after each exercise, although those are up in the air for change if need be.

[/quote]

I would do things as follows:
Day 1
Arms

Day 2
Legs

Day 3
Off

Day 4
Chest/Back/Shoulders

Day 5
Off

Day 6
Repeat

Since you will be focusing on arms you will need to shift the volume of work for the rest of your program to maintan.

The primary stress for arms should come from volume

I would try something like:
A1. Lying Dumbell Extensions 5 10-12 40x0
A2. Standing Alternate Dumbell curls 5 10-12 40x0
rest 90 sec

*Example of variations on a bicep curl:
To hit different heads of the muscle vary your grip on dumbbell close to the plate

B1. Standing Overhead EZbar extensions 4 10-12 40x0
B2. Preacher Curls 4 10-12 40x0
rest 90 sec

For legs dat try this:
A1) Barbell Hack Squats 3 6-8 5010
A2) 45-Degree Leg Presses 3 12-15 2010
A3) Leg Extensions 3 12-15 2020

Rest
rest 240secods

B1) Varied position leg curls (toes in, neutral, out)
5 6-8 40x0

Chest/Back/Shoulders

A1. DB 30’ incline 5 10-12 40x0
A2. T-Bar Rows 5 10-12 40x0
rest 120

B1. Dumbell Press 4 10-12 40x0
B2. Chin Ups 4 10-12 40x0
Rest 120

As for my Goals late they center around rehabing a shoulder injury while not loosing size. Some things to keep in mind when training to gain size also:

Individualization is the key
Change the type of exercise frequently to activate different motor unit pools
Exercise is only good until adaptation occurs
70% of people need a change after the 6th workout.
Dumbbells are superior to barbells for hypertrophy- greater range and more mechanical stress

[quote]laroyal wrote:
AlterEgo721 wrote:
laroyal wrote:
AlterEgo721 wrote:

Workout A

Workout B

Workout C (2Days Later)

2x8-10 Med Grip
2x6-8 Wide Grip
2x4-6 Narrow Grip

Workout D (next Day)

Leg Curl 4x6-8 (90s)

Good Mornings
1x15 (90s)
1x12 (90s)
1x10 (90s)
1x8 (45s)

Pull Up 6x4-6 (100s)

Day 1
Arms

Day 2
Legs

Day 3
Off

Day 4
Chest/Back/Shoulders

Day 5
Off

Day 6
Repeat

Since you will be focusing on arms you will need to shift the volume of work for the rest of your program to maintan.

rest 90 sec

To hit different heads of the muscle vary your grip on dumbbell close to the plate

rest 90 sec

For legs dat try this:

Rest
rest 240secods

5 6-8 40x0

Chest/Back/Shoulders

rest 120

Rest 120

As for my Goals late they center around rehabing a shoulder injury while not loosing size. Some things to keep in mind when training to gain size also:

Dumbbells are superior to barbells for hypertrophy- greater range and more mechanical stress
[/quote]

I’m not even about about to get into some debate about every detail, but this is even too complicated and there is no reason to only be in the gym 3 days a week. Why would someone…anyone…set up a routine that has legs alone, arms alone but then crams chest in with back and shoulders all on the same day.

laroyal wrote:
AlterEgo721 wrote:
laroyal wrote:
AlterEgo721 wrote:

Workout A

Workout B

Workout C (2Days Later)

2x8-10 Med Grip
2x6-8 Wide Grip
2x4-6 Narrow Grip

Workout D (next Day)

Leg Curl 4x6-8 (90s)

Good Mornings
1x15 (90s)
1x12 (90s)
1x10 (90s)
1x8 (45s)

Pull Up 6x4-6 (100s)

Day 1
Arms

Day 2
Legs

Day 3
Off

Day 4
Chest/Back/Shoulders

Day 5
Off

Day 6
Repeat

rest 90 sec

rest 90 sec

For legs dat try this:

Rest
rest 240secods

5 6-8 40x0

Chest/Back/Shoulders

rest 120

Rest 120

I’m not even about about to get into some debate about every detail, but this is even too complicated and there is no reason to only be in the gym 3 days a week. Why would someone…anyone…set up a routine that has legs alone, arms alone but then crams chest in with back and shoulders all on the same day.

[/quote]

Professor X if you look closer you will see his priority is arms so everything else was reduced to maintainence as for 3x week I dont’t know where you got that? it is a 6 day cycle so each muscle group is hit 1x every 5days and you are in the gym 4xweekly (as the cycle repeats on day 7)?

[quote]laroyal wrote:

Professor X if you look closer you will see his priority is arms so everything else was reduced to maintainence as for 3x week I dont’t know where you got that? it is a 6 day cycle so each muscle group is hit 1x every 5days and you are in the gym 4xweekly (as the cycle repeats on day 7)?[/quote]

What you just wrote is the sign of a newbie. EVERY BEGINNER’S PRIORITY IS ARMS. Some may throw “chest” in there, but how many times have you ever seen, “Hi, I am just starting and would like to focus on my legs and back”.

Unless this guy is already well built, there is no reason AT ALL to have him on some program attempting to simply ‘maintain’ the other muscle groups. If he wants to hit arms twice a week, fine, but why even try to hinder development everywhere else? How much do you weigh and how long have you been lifting that this needs a drawn out explanation?

It doesn’t matter that you hit each muscle once a week. You still crammed all of those body parts on one damn day for no reason which will no doubt decrease any further progress.

laroyal wrote:

Professor X if you look closer you will see his priority is arms so everything else was reduced to maintainence as for 3x week I dont’t know where you got that? it is a 6 day cycle so each muscle group is hit 1x every 5days and you are in the gym 4xweekly (as the cycle repeats on day 7)?

What you just wrote is the sign of a newbie. EVERY BEGINNER’S PRIORITY IS ARMS. Some may throw “chest” in there, but how many times have you ever seen, “Hi, I am just starting and would like to focus on my legs and back”.

Unless this guy is already well built, there is no reason AT ALL to have him on some program attempting to simply ‘maintain’ the other muscle groups. If he wants to hit arms twice a week, fine, but why even try to hinder development everywhere else? How much do you weigh and how long have you been lifting that this needs a drawn out explanation?

It doesn’t matter that you hit each muscle once a week. You still crammed all of those body parts on one damn day for no reason which will no doubt decrease any further progress.[/quote]

Hey don’t shoot the messenger they are his goals not mine and I have no idea what his level of development is he asked for help writing an arms specialization program with focus on size so I produced one basic but effective program that delivers just that. He obviously won’t be gaining in other groups. On a M-A-I-N-T-A-I-N-E-N-C-E program with specilization the goal isn’t to gain in everything it is to not loose development he has built to this point while improving his arm size in this case. If you have a better program then I am sure he would welcome it as would I, I can always learn more and that (like many others is why I come to T-Nation). It is easy to sit back and say that’s not a good program without providing reasons about the loading or program itself but, this is what leads to peoples confusion, they see an established member as yourself say something is not right without providing reasons specific to their goals and how this program is not set up to deliver. I mean no offense to you as I have read your posts in the past and know you have a lot to offer, I think you are critiquing the program specific to your goals though and what you think he needs versus what he asked for.

[quote]laroyal wrote:
I mean no offense to you as I have read your posts in the past and know you have a lot to offer, I think you are critiquing the program specific to your goals though and what you think he needs versus what he asked for.
[/quote]

No, I am critiquing the goals as relative to a BEGINNER. Again, unless the guy you are attempting to give advice to is already well built and has established enough overall size that he actually has “lagging muscle groups”, attempting to instigate a lack of growth in every other muscle group but the “beach muscles” makes no sense.

It doesn’t matter that he said his focus is arms. What matters is that damn near everyone’s focus is arms as a beginner and his arms won’t be growing much if nothing else is.

First of all isn’t the point that AlterEgo learns how to design his own program rather than have someone else design it for him?
I’m not trying to offend, laroyal, on the contrary I quite liked the program.

The way I see it you have two options

1. Follow the advice given in the two articles Rampage recommended. The point here is that you follow this advice and this advice alone. I really can’t see this resulting in “information overload”.

2. Modify a program you have already done that worked well.

Like I said X you are judging him on your expectations and preconceived notion of what you think his development is, maybe he has built a solid base and needs to bring his arms up. Surely someone with 21k plus posts can offer more than “that’s not a good program” As I said earlier if you have a better one by all means post it.

I came here to help and learn and would love for you to impart your supposed wisdom on the subject in terms of a written program (sets,reps,tempo,rest, frequency and reasons). How about do some teaching “professor”

[quote]laroyal wrote:
Like I said X you are judging him on your expectations and preconceived notion of what you think his development is, maybe he has built a solid base and needs to bring his arms up. Surely someone with 21k plus posts can offer more than “that’s not a good program” As I said earlier if you have a better one by all means post it. I came here to help and learn and would love for you to impart your supposed wisdom on the subject in terms of a written program (sets,reps,tempo,rest, frequency and reasons). How about do some teaching “professor”[/quote]

The goal was to help him think for himself, not to sit here and WRITE HIM a program like you did.

If that isn’t enough explanation for you, fuck it.

I think he did think for himself (hence the program HE wrote) and while there were a lot of things good about it I saw room for improvement based on his goals, therefor I wrote a sample program using the loading parameters specific to his request and showed him how to manipulate frequency and volume for his purposes. It hardly shows much expertise when you just stop by to say “thats no good you figure it out”. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, show a man to fish and he will eatfor a lifetime.