T Nation

Writing Project on Powerlifting

I have to do a Extended Project Qualification of 5000 words around a topic that interest me and it has to answer a question.
I have decided to do it on Powerlifting (obviously)

The title I originally came up with was ‘What is Powerlifting’ but was to vague.

My second and preferable idea would be ‘The History and Evolution of the different Methodologies of training and preparation for Powerlifting’

This title is more specific and allows me to talk about the origins of Powerlifting and how the training for competitions has changed overtime.

My question is what main and sub points could I talk about as it is 5000 words and will need a lot of points to cover.
Discussion and Conversation welcomed
:slight_smile:

All I can think of is 1. Probably touch on the origins of powerlifting, how it started as an “odd lifts” sport with changing movements. And 2 maybe the differences between the Russian type of programs and how they are influenced by the Olympic weightlifting side of things and the US programs with the bodybuilding influences.

@A_Ren
Yes I was thinking of how the Russians affected the sport and writing about that.
I was thinking to maybe link old strongman stuff and how Strongman evolved separately to Powerlifting.

Have you considered looking at things a bit more broadly and talking about strength sports as a whole?
Personally I’d find it interesting to read about how oly lifting, powerlifting and strongman all came about and split apart from one another to become what they are now. 5000 words to me seems a lot just for the history of powerlifting.

I was going to do the it a bit more vaguely about all of Powerlifting and the economics behind it and the Federations however the title has to be quite specific and you have to answer a question with the title.
If I wrote about the evolution of how people train for competitions I think that would up a lot of words going into how each method ,e.g. Westside, was conceptualised, evolved and what it has turned into today.
I could go into the Origin of all strength sports and how they split up at the beginning and how Powerlifting was formed and separated itself.
Thanks for contributing @caesium32

Sounds good, let us know how it goes, I’d be interested in reading it.

I’ve got just over a year to complete it and hand it in, will probably post it in sections (as i complete them) on here for people to read.

One area you could really delve into would be how training for multiply differs from the original form of PL (single ply) and the newest form (raw).

Influence of social media and the whole raw movement boom? Just throwing ideas out there.

Great idea thanks

Yes I could write about how Social Media has influenced the way people train and got more people into the sport and how this has lead to the raw boom. Thanks

So far I’ve spent all day compiling copied stuff from loads of different websites on these topics except training methods which I will likely do soon and the multi ply training differences and the social media influence.

• Origins of powerlifting, how it started as an “odd lifts” sport with changing movements
• Differences between the Russian type of programs and how they are influenced by the Olympic weightlifting side of things and the US programs with the bodybuilding influences
• How each training method was conceptualised, evolved and what it has turned into today
• Origin of all strength sports and how they split up at the beginning and how Powerlifting was formed and separated itself
• How training for multiply differs from the original form of PL (single ply) and the newest form (raw)
• How Social Media has influenced the way people train
• Raw movement boom
• Detail on Origins of all the Lifts
• Paralympic Powerlifting (This is really interesting)

I’ve got 4500 words on these topics so far and have to compress it down into whats necessary and write it out.

Powerlifting in the special Olympics?

I was going to add how they put in Powerlifting just Benching into the Paralympics.
Could also do something on Disabled people in regular 3 lift Powerlifting.