Wrist Wraps

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
cap’nsalty wrote:
It sounds like you just have weak wrists. The purpose of wrist wraps is to reduce strain on your wrists, not make up for weak forearms. That said, I think you should own a pair anyways for really heavy sets, but you really need to strengthen your forearms.

I think I do have weak wrists. But my forearms are not weak I don’t think. They never fatigue doing heavy deads anymore or limit me. Isn’t there specific wrist work? I think there is. Wrist curls. A little different than forearm curls. Is there any other direct wrist strengthening work than anyone knows of. I am also in law school and type a great deal.

And I think this causes a lot of problems. I think there’s actually a diagonsed issue called Computer Related Repetitive Strain Injury. Like the new Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Kind of retarded. But I don’ really know what to do about it. It comes with the territory…[/quote]

In the realm of slightly unorthodox, arm wrestling is an incredible wrist/forearm strength builder, and it builds static strength which is what you want.

The way Inzer does the velcro tends to pick at the fibers and give you fluffy-wraps after a while. Aside from that they’re great.

Ya know, I never thought about it, but you are right. Every freakin’ pair I have look like that. Yet my Titanium are fine.

Hilarious.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
cap’nsalty wrote:
It sounds like you just have weak wrists. The purpose of wrist wraps is to reduce strain on your wrists, not make up for weak forearms. That said, I think you should own a pair anyways for really heavy sets, but you really need to strengthen your forearms.

I think I do have weak wrists. But my forearms are not weak I don’t think. They never fatigue doing heavy deads anymore or limit me. Isn’t there specific wrist work? I think there is. Wrist curls. A little different than forearm curls. Is there any other direct wrist strengthening work than anyone knows of. I am also in law school and type a great deal.

And I think this causes a lot of problems. I think there’s actually a diagonsed issue called Computer Related Repetitive Strain Injury. Like the new Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Kind of retarded. But I don’ really know what to do about it. It comes with the territory…

In the realm of slightly unorthodox, arm wrestling is an incredible wrist/forearm strength builder, and it builds static strength which is what you want.[/quote]

Hmm. Interesting

[quote]djbige05 wrote:
Wrist wraps…? If you can not hold the weight with out using wrist wraps…you are using too much weight and not using good form…just my opinion but by all means use wrist wraps…your grip will suffer for it and make you hand shake weak and you will not be able to open up that jar your girl askes you too…LOL[/quote]

I’m guessing that you are thinking of lifting STRAPS and not wrist WRAPS! But if you are thinking of wraps then you’re a dumb ass. Scratch that. Either way you are a dumb ass.

To the original poster. I like the AST wrist wraps. They are made of a tougher material and are more supportive than Inzer wraps.

yeah… keeping this thread around…

Anyway, the only wraps I’ve ever used are the (gym’s) Titan THP’s. They feel solid as hell. I’m about to by my own set of wraps soon but want to get a different brand as ALL the wraps in the gym are THP’s and I want some that look diffent so they don’t get “lost”.

A few people have said they don’t like the THP’s. Can’ you give a description of the brands you prefer?

I’ve seen some wraps that look like glorified ACE bandages and I would hate those. How sturdy are the ATP ZRV wraps?

I have a pair of metals that I really like.

[quote]Holo wrote:
how about you train your foreamrs?
do wirst rollers once you can roll 135 pds I think you’ll handle 300 no problem.

imo wrist wraps whould be used in the 500+ lbs range, because under that pretty much every human can strnghten their wrist enough with rollers and sledges(hammers).
I can roll 50 pounds for my reps and can handle 300 without any problem.

if you’re unsure and don’t want to waste time buy the wraps but also train wrist roller, when you’ll roll enough get the bench weight down and gradually increase the weight back to where you are so the wrists can get used to this.
[/quote]

You are wrong. A person should use them from almost the beginning. They are probably the most useful supportive aid in preventing injuries.

And no, forearm work will not protect you enough.

Just to follow up a long time after starting this post…

I ended up with the Metal 60cm (about 24 in) wrist wraps.
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=725

I’m benching around 350 and they work great, but for someone doing 450-500+ you’d probably want the longer 80cm pair.

For anyone thinking about them, I highly recommend them. I put them on super tight just before my set (usually 1-3 reps, anything longer and your hands will turn blue). They definitely allow you to do more weight, I don’t think there’s many people who have forearms so strong that they wouldn’t benefit from a pair.

[quote]Holo wrote:
how about you train your foreamrs?
do wirst rollers once you can roll 135 pds I think you’ll handle 300 no problem.

imo wrist wraps whould be used in the 500+ lbs range, because under that pretty much every human can strnghten their wrist enough with rollers and sledges(hammers).
I can roll 50 pounds for my reps and can handle 300 without any problem.

if you’re unsure and don’t want to waste time buy the wraps but also train wrist roller, when you’ll roll enough get the bench weight down and gradually increase the weight back to where you are so the wrists can get used to this.
[/quote]

Wrong, wrsit wraps provide valuable support that forearm work will not fix.

[quote]ExNole wrote:
I have a pair of metals that I really like.

[/quote]

Me too. I got the 80 cm ones. I have fairly big wrists. You can’t go wrong with Metal.

Here’s a video on how to use wrist wraps that JackAss and I put together for Elite:

metal

The APT ZRVs are great.

The length depends on how you wrap. If you wrap down the forearm to prevent forearm splints, go long. If you wrap overlapping the wrist to limit motion, you can go shorter.

[quote]JimMcD wrote:
Here’s a video on how to use wrist wraps that JackAss and I put together for Elite:

Hey, thanks to you and JackAss for that vid. It was a big help to me; it’s always easier to see it on video than have someone try to describe it in an article. Props to all you guys!

I use the Metal Triple Lines, 80cm. Best piece of supportive equipment you can use. I’d take them over my belt. But I have pussy wrists that are constantly aggravated from hitting the bag and gi work.

I have very small wrists (5.5 inches) and am starting to experience some pain when benching heavy; I also have a history of repetitive stress injuries to my wrists. I am looking at the wrist wrap selection on elitefts and having a difficult time choosing. I’ve seen the Metal All-Black Wraps recommended here and elsewhere but they are more expensive than the others and I’m wondering why/if they are worth it. Also I am wondering what size would be best for me–since I am female/have tiny wrists I presume the smaller 60cm wraps would be good for me? Are any of the less expensive wraps recommended? Should I choose the smallest size in whatever wrap I choose? Thanks.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=300

EDIT: While I’m at it, I’m looking for a dip belt for weighted dips too, so if anyone has any recommendations for that as well I’d be appreciative.

Get the APT strangulators or convicts. A lot of people are saying they’re the best out there at the moment. Quite cheap compared to the Metal’s too.

I have a pair of all blacks that I like, but they’re not worth the money imo. I’ll be getting a pair of both of the above mentioned wraps to try out next time I’m ordering.

If you’re sufficiently strong and putting up a proper amount of weight NOT using wraps is kind of dumb.

same reason you wrap your hands in thai boxing… and i take a beating on my wrists doing that 6 days week sometimes twice a day so you can be damn sure i’m going to wrap my wrists when i dumbbell bench or do front squats. and for the record 3 one arm chins on each hand prove i dont have “weak forearms”

god some silly shit gets thrown around here sometimes.

[quote]djbige05 wrote:
Wrist wraps…? If you can not hold the weight with out using wrist wraps…you are using too much weight and not using good form…just my opinion but by all means use wrist wraps…your grip will suffer for it and make you hand shake weak and you will not be able to open up that jar your girl askes you too…LOL[/quote]

WRAPS not straps!

Wow there’s a stroll down memory lane. I have been using the Inzer wraps for a couple years now and I like them. I did get the max length since I like the extra support