Wrist Support

Hi! I’m new so I’m hoping this is the correct place to post.

I’ve been lifting for a bit and was hoping to find out about wrist support. I’m not asking about grip help because at the moment I’m not lifting enough to need that.

Because of my musicianship I have developed chronic tendinitis in both my hands and my wrists and it sometimes gets irritated through deadlifting, pressing, etc.

I went to a body building store and the guy had no information for me. Do wrist supports exist that don’t help with grip? I just want something to give them a little bit of extra support so I can continue to lift since I love it.

Stop fapping so much. You’ll go blind for goodness sake.

Wrist tendinopathy and irritation generally occurs because of immobility of the carpals/metacarpals of the wrist and hand and/or poor tissue quality of the forearm muscles. Addressing both of those concerns should help your problems.

[quote]LevelHeaded wrote:
Wrist tendinopathy and irritation generally occurs because of immobility of the carpals/metacarpals of the wrist and hand and/or poor tissue quality of the forearm muscles. Addressing both of those concerns should help your problems.[/quote]

How would one do so?

Immobility of the carpals/metacarpals - manual therapy done by a certified practitioner (DO, Chiro, PT, ATC, etc) including but not limited to manual mobilizations, active mobilizations, traction techniques with active movement. Best approach would be to get an evaluation by a professional for what immobilities and movement deficits you have and then progress to the proper approach to exercises and therapies. Some issues may even be up at the elbow or shoulders.

Soft tissue quality - Soft tissue work done by a certified practitioner, including ART, ROLFing, Graston, myofascial work, etc. You can work on it on your own with a LAX ball, tiger tail, etc, but won’t see as great of results. All soft tissue work should be accompanied by appropriate mobility work and activation work of appropriate musculature.

It doesn’t have so much to do with an immobility in my case. My physical therapists in the past have told me that mine is caused by an inflammation of the tendons, which is typically what causes this sort of injury.
I have exercises but I’m not finding that they help lesson irritation which is why I ask about extra support. I know that strengthening my wrists will help but I’m looking for assistance while I do that.

[quote]Squishered wrote:
It doesn’t have so much to do with an immobility in my case. My physical therapists in the past have told me that mine is caused by an inflammation of the tendons, which is typically what causes this sort of injury.
I have exercises but I’m not finding that they help lesson irritation which is why I ask about extra support. I know that strengthening my wrists will help but I’m looking for assistance while I do that. [/quote]

Just to clarify thing, I don’t think that saying your injury (chronic tendonitis) is caused by inflammation is the best way to put it. By definition, tendonitis is inflammation of a tendon and is the injury in itself. You have to determine what is causing that inflammation (poor mobility, restricted muscle tissues, etc). And actually if your injury is chronic and been going on for some time now, you most likely have a tendonosis. But that is besides the point.

Did the PT ever check the mobility of your metacarpals? of each of your carpals? if the radial/ulnar junction was gliding properly with the carpals? Not just gross ROM but the mobility of each segment.

What types of exercises were you given to perform? Were you given reasoning and purpose for each?

How is your gross ROM at your wrist for pronation and supination? Do either the flexor/pronator mass or extensor/supinator mass have excessive adhesions and restrictions?