T Nation

Wrist Strength

How do I strengthen my wrists? I have pretty skinny wrists and they are weak, which does not work well for cleans and the like.

Should I just work on my forearms? If, so, what are the best forearm exercises?

Do I have to just wait until I gain mass?

Thanks.

[quote]bigdude wrote:
How do I strengthen my wrists? I have pretty skinny wrists and they are weak, which does not work well for cleans and the like.

Should I just work on my forearms? If, so, what are the best forearm exercises? [/quote]

One of the most amazing gadgets of recent years.

http://www.powerballs.com/

Well worth the money. They amaze people, work out your arms, strengthen your wrists, fit in the tiniest bag/purse and are operated by sheer gyroscopical force (no batteries). Try it, it’s addictive!

Probably the best way is to keep lifting heavy weight. If you have skinny wrists, you aren’t going to be able to make them “grow”, but yu can certainly strengthen the forearms and supporting structures. You can search the exercises on this forum, check out elitefts, and search the web for diesel crew…they do some crazy grip stuff.

Anyway some things to try: pinch grip wrist flexions (pinch a 5 or 10 lbs. plate and curl the wrist), wrist roller, levering (use a small sledge hammer or empty DB and just move it around), heavy bar holds, do your rows and curls with towels in your hands, etc.

ironmind.com has some good tools and ideas. Also Poloquin had a good workout for your forearms and wrists.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459521

For wrist strength(not grip strength), just do the following, and do it heavy.

Thick bar wrist roller
Barbell finger rolls
Sledgehammer levering
Short bending

Figure out sets, reps, freq, and vary it up.

Deadlifts have helped my Wrist Strenght a ton.

I’m assuming you specifically mean wrist strength and NOT grip strength. If you are, then I suggest using more dummbells and, for example, when doing regular dumbbell curls, start the motion with your palms facing your sides, and as you go up twist your wrists so that in the end your palms will be facing your chest.

That’s a great wrist strengthener. Barbell exercises tend to lock the wrists (i.e. Preacher curls). If you want to know how to strengthen your grip, then please tell me so. For now I’m only focusing on your wrists.