T Nation

Wrist Strength

I’m looking for any advice on building wrist strength to avoid future injuries to my wrists and to keep moving up on lifts. My wrists are my weak point when pressing and doing overhead squats. I typically push through the pain but it has it’s limits.

Here’s the quick rundown… I have a wrist injury that’s been off and on since I hyper-extended it snowboarding in high school. It’s also taken a lot of abuse and shock from riding atv’s and dirtbikes. The pain would always come on after aggravating it through climbing, riding, doing pushups, etc… but then it would go away after a week or two. This has been going on for at least 7 years now. Problem is, it’s been in pretty constant pain since November.

Everything I’ve come across is more concerned about adding size to the forearms which I could care less about. I’m looking for strength specific advice for wrists. I’ve recently started doing wrist curls with a barbell but it just seems to pump out my forearms.

Also, I wear wrist straps. I know that would be one of the first recommendations if I didn’t put it in here first.

Wrist Support Wraps.

***This is not my arm.

Or you could get a pair of gloves with the strap built in.

*** This is a picture of me doing my heavy sets.

[quote]YourDudeness wrote:
Everything I’ve come across is more concerned about adding size to the forearms which I could care less about. I’m looking for strength specific advice for wrists. I’ve recently started doing wrist curls with a barbell but it just seems to pump out my forearms.

Also, I wear wrist straps. I know that would be one of the first recommendations if I didn’t put it in here first.[/quote]
If you have a mechanical injury that has not been diagnosed then wrist straps will add stability to the forearm and let you push through it.

You don’t need to be afraid of your forearms getting bigger which is what it sounds like. If you are doing exercises with the attitude of I don’t care about the result it probably shows. Why don’t you focus on building size and strength in the forearm to overcompensate for the injury? Another inch or two of forearm circumference isn’t going to make you “bulky.”

@JLone I guess it maybe came across as sounding like I don’t want to add size, but what I meant is that’s not my “goal”. Ultimately, size will come with strength gains but the inverse is not always true. So that’s where I was going with that…I want to overcompensate for the injury by focusing on strength.

I have sizable forearms and good grip strength as it is from climbing. Again, I’m not afraid of size, I just look for the strength over size with the knowledge that size will come.

***See my last sentence in the original post…I already use wrist wraps. I find them helpful, but there’s still a point when I try to put anything body-weight or above overhead that I start suffering at my wrists.

Ultimately I need to get it checked out by a doc and have it diagnosed.

I haven’t seen you overhead squat or press but it’s possible that the bar is just too far out in the hand. Holding the bar closer to the wrist (and further from the knuckles) will put less stress on your wrist. On the same note, fat gripz have been reported to reduce the strain on the wrists for some people. The idea is just to move the weight closer to the fulcrum of the wrist, reduce the lever arm, and thus reduce the force on the wrist tendons.

reverse curls fixed a wrist injury for me, might be worth trying

Hammer Curls with a Barbell. Brooks Kubik wrote Dinosaur Training spoke very highly of them and I love the my self.

fatgripz, heavy dumbell wrist curls 5x5 and look into getting some ART therapy

I’ll give the FatGripz a try and mix in some hammer curls and switch to heavy dumbbell wrist curls rather than barbell wrist curls.

Thanks for the info.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
http://www.needstolaugh.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/the-shake-weight-could-they-have-made-this-any-more-unintent-demotivational-poster-1273813956-615x565.jpg[/quote]

Well played, sir.