Wrist Straps Guidance

I’m at the point where I can no longer keep a solid grip on my heaviest work set for my RDL. My reps are controlled and the weight is not at my limit yet, but I lose my last two reps because of grip (I’m getting 6 out of 8). Should I just continue at this weight until I can grip it or use straps but only for this set, that way I can continue to progress in weight. After all, it is a lower body lift (even though I know it is also a grip exercise). I can do my less heavy work set to 12 reps with about 30lbs less without grip problems. I have never used straps and don’t know too much about them, but I have some because they came free with a previous purchase of protein. Any guidance on using wrist straps?

No point in letting grip hold you back from deadlifting more. Use the straps for any set that you’d otherwise fail because of grip, and train your grip separately if it’s a concern.

Also - use chalk if you’re not already doing that.

5 Likes

Ditto the above - just use them. The approach of saving them for the sets you need them is a good one.

3 Likes

When I was in your position I thought I was missing out on the last 1-2 reps because of grip. Added straps and I got 5 more.

So yeah… strap up. With RDLs especially, it’s nice to focus on the stretch without worrying about dropping the bar. If you’re concerned and care about your grip strength, just add grip work at some point throughout the week. Tons of things you can do.

3 Likes

I use them for working sets on deadlifts all variations and rows. I warm up without them and do things like weighted chins without them. Singles I do without straps as well. Grip is still strong. Pulled like 92 percent for a single tonight with no grip issues.

I think they help my tennis elbow too.

1 Like