Wrist Strap Question

[quote]robo1 wrote:
blooey wrote:
Uh, thanks for your concern, but there are plenty of good reasons for having a strong posterior chain even if my grip is relatively weaker.

No there isn’t. it’s about having balance. If your posterior is so insanely strong that you can only stimulate it with weights that you can barely hold onto then it means you grip is weak. Period. this isn’t about your posterior.

this is about your schoolgirl grip. I’m not anti strap (some of my best friends are straps) but I think the vast majority of people who rely on them do so without any thought to the fact that their grip is lagging severely.

Im not bashing you blooey, but you started off this thread by saying and I quote : ``My grip is my weak point.‘’ And your solution to addressing this weak point is to work around it rather than improve it. sorry but I just don’t agree.

You would never take the same approach if your shoulders were your weak point or your hamstrings were your weak point. No, you would be looking for ways to bring their strength in line with the rest of your body. But when it comes to the grip, everybody just reflexively reaches for the straps. and what does that do. it just makes the strength imbalance even greater.

So go buy your straps if you want to, but personally I would make grip work a priority instead of relegating it to a couple of static holds at the end of a workout. That’s not reflective of much dedication to improving your grip.

Grip work is just as important as deadlifting, benching and squatting imho and should receive the same effort and attention to detail. Sorry for the rant blooey but this is a touchy subject for me.[/quote]

I think the importance of grip work depends on what your goals are. For a powerlifter or strongman, it is obviously very important. Conversely, I’d bet a 100m runner doesn’t really care what his grip strength is. It wouldn’t make much sense for him to delay the development of his leg strength in order to let his grip catch up.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
That might be true in general, but in this situation? What good would a stronger finger extension do? Fingers are designed for grabbing. And pointing while laughing, but still.

Some muscle groups better be balanced? But all muscle groups? I don’t know about that.[/quote]

your extensors aide in the ability to squeeze the shit of something (ie. Such as a barbell).