Wrist Problems...

GAHH, i hate my fucking wrists. I dunno what the problem is, but my wrist(right) is fucked up right know. It came from getting tackled by a 310 pound guy a couple days ago and lifting aggrivated it. It doesnt hurt when im just resting or even if i rotate it to all extremes, but any curling motion(even carrying my books or getting them n and out of locker hurts)causes some bad pain. Can anyone give me some stuf i can do to help it heal faster. My doctor told me to just ace bandage it during the day but it seems that it just makes it hurt more. Thanks.

mm unfortunate that, my wrist is abit fucked too, and I can’t do any curling motions with a decent weight.

It also hampers close grip bench presses… damn wrists

Thats great bud(no offense), but i need to know how to heal it fast. I havent lifted in a few days and i am getting stir crazy. I dont wnna aggrivate it any further, but i also don’t wnna sit around if this is gonna take months to heal.

If find an answer I’d like to know. I have been having problems for months.

Me Solomon Grundy

I screwed up my wrist doing heavy front squats w/clean grip on friday b/c I’m really inflexible, and pretty much any movement at all made it hurt. I’ve had it in a wrist brace I bought from wal mart for about 48 hours now and I figure in another day or two it will be all better. I don’t know if this will work for you, but it’s worked for me.

Superman,

First use your X-ray vision to make sure nothing is broken. Second I think the green kryptonite helps and the red is bad, but it might be the reverse. Finally, if that doesn’t help you can just fly around the earth really fast in the opposite direction of its normal rotation until it starts going that direction, spin it long enough to go back a few days and then avoid getting tackled by the 310 pounder. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Muscle has a decent blood supply and can fix itself up fairly quickly. If it is other soft tissues instead, it might take a bit longer. Best I can suggest is that after you don’t have to worry about inflamation, do things to stimulate blood flow to the area.

Beyond the normal ideas, keep the injured area warmer at night. It sounds silly, but keep the one arm covered and the other uncovered, for example. Keep it loose though or you might restrict blood flow.

Realistically, if you’ve wrenched something the least you can expect is a week. Even then, you’ll want to be careful with it for a while once it gives you no pain. Maybe you can do some HIIT type work for a week?

Anyhow, just trying to be helpful. Probably nothing you don’t already know anyway. Try to think of it as a good time to take that week off that we are all supposed to do every once in a while.

You could try “contrast baths.” Get two buckets: one with very hot water, the other with really cold water(A tray or two of ice cubes should be cold enough). Start with your hands/wrists in the hot then cold, switching off every couple minutes. You should start with hot and end on cold. Ten minutes twice a day should help it.
I agree with keeping it warm. I would sleep with a loose wristband or something on it.
For injury prevention, I would try wrist levering movements. Forward, rear and side to side all will help to strengthen your wrist. Hope it helps
-CHRIS

[quote]Superman wrote:
GAHH, i hate my fucking wrists. I dunno what the problem is, but my wrist(right) is fucked up right know. It came from getting tackled by a 310 pound guy a couple days ago and lifting aggrivated it. It doesnt hurt when im just resting or even if i rotate it to all extremes, but any curling motion(even carrying my books or getting them n and out of locker hurts)causes some bad pain. Can anyone give me some stuf i can do to help it heal faster. My doctor told me to just ace bandage it during the day but it seems that it just makes it hurt more. Thanks.[/quote]

Superman, where exactly does it hurt on your wrist when you try to do curling motions? Do any other supinated grip (palms up) exercises bother it? Does it also hurt doing close grip bench at all?

If you hold your palms facing up, it hurts on theleft side of wrist and up the back of my hand. The only excercise it realy hurts with is curls.

Myself and a few others have experienced sharp-piercing pain on the side of the wrist down into the forearm when we perform curling movements or many barbell movements. I figured the pain was due to a lack of forearm work. I also noticed that the same pain does not occur when we switched to DB’s. If these symptoms are similar to yours, just switch to all DB movments for a while until it heals.

Worked for me.

Having a small brain fart, DB?

You should rest the wrist and give it a chance to heal. You can optimize healing time, but you cannot speed it up, I would also advise getting it examined by a professional.

In the meantime, do exercises that dont involve your wrist, such as leg presses, leg curls, leg extensions, pec-dec, one arm lifts with the other arm, back raises, hise shrug, hard ab work, be creative and you your time to hit work some other things.

In no time you will be fully healed and ready to resume all out training, dont hurry this process, or you could end up with a chronic problem that will be with you for years.

Keith

I had a similar injury to my wrist, medial side (or pinky side) hurt when I did curls or close grip bench or anything where I had to stabalize my wrist w/ my forearm flexor muscles, which sounds very similar to what you’re experiencing. Thankfully i was in the middle of an internship situation with an Athletic Trainer, who told me that I had a light sprain of the medial ligaments in my wrist.
It’s not definate that it is exactly what you have since you haven’t been physically looked at by an appropriate person, but the history and symptoms you described most liekly makes it a small sprain.
I recommend just taping your wrists while you lift if it is bothering you that much. Also, vary your gripping of the weights. If it feels better to do hammer curls, then do some hammer curls until you feel comfortable going back to the grip that caused pain.
ICE after each workout too for about 15-20 minutes. Even if you lifted legs, you held the bar doing deadlifts, or you carried the weights to the bar. You just want to reduce the swelling in that area to decrease pain and increase recovery.
I would lay off of intensive wrist flexor and extensor work outs. Most people would think it would help by strengthening the area, but you gotta allow the ligaments to recover some first before doing that. Very light weight would be good, but dont go overboard.
Just take some time to give the wrist some time to recover. It’s a bitch, but you’re just gonna have to take it easy for a bit to let it recover.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions if you have any.

if your wrists hurt during supine curls and not prone curls you found your problem. do more prone curls and the pain will go away.

Superman, what you need is a DIAGNOSIS so you know exactly WHAT is wrong. THEN you can better know what to do about it

[quote]Superman wrote:
GAHH, i hate my fucking wrists. I dunno what the problem is, but my wrist(right) is fucked up right know. It came from getting tackled by a 310 pound guy a couple days ago and lifting aggrivated it. It doesnt hurt when im just resting or even if i rotate it to all extremes, but any curling motion(even carrying my books or getting them n and out of locker hurts)causes some bad pain. Can anyone give me some stuf i can do to help it heal faster. My doctor told me to just ace bandage it during the day but it seems that it just makes it hurt more. Thanks.[/quote]

Not to jack this thread but I have somewhat of a wrist problem myself. When I perform palms down wrist curls my wrists click like you would not believe. On top of that the weights I use 20lbs for 2 sets 20 reps supersetted with cable reverse wrist curls is imo pathetic considering my size and training experiance. Do I just need to lighten the weight and build up my strength? Or am I missing something?