Wrist Position and Squatting?

When squatting with the bar low on your upper traps, do you find the weight is significantly distributed to your arms? If so, I find my wrists to be taking the burden of the weight. I have strong wrists, but I think maybe I am doing it wrong or I should get some support

Thanks!

Absolutely support the wrists. Look at almost every powerlifter out there; they almost all wrap their wrists.

I use my same 36" Inzer Power Wraps I do for benching to wrap. Admittedlty, I don’t wrap quite as tight but enough to give support for sure. The closer you hands are together the moer you’ll need the support.

Also the further down the back the more your arms are actually holding the bar. Its more comfortable not to have the hands so close together but close hands does mean tight traps and back. I usually try and keep my hands as close as possible.

But yeah when they’re close I find it easier on the wrists if I start wrapping them at a weight of even 315.

Wrist support in squats is as important as ankle support in benching. If you don’t realize how vital it is then you’re doing something sub-optimally.

please excuse my ignorance, but do you actually need ankle support while benching? I’m not sure if that was a joke or not.

When I do heavy benching, I put my legs in the air so I can’t rely on them or arch my back when the weight gets really heavy. I feel it also helps me to isolate my pecs while doing the exercise.

if this is the wrong way to do it someone please let me know

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
please excuse my ignorance, but do you actually need ankle support while benching? I’m not sure if that was a joke or not.

When I do heavy benching, I put my legs in the air so I can’t rely on them or arch my back when the weight gets really heavy. I feel it also helps me to isolate my pecs while doing the exercise.

if this is the wrong way to do it someone please let me know[/quote]

straight up hijacking.

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:

if this is the wrong way to do it someone please let me know[/quote]

A distinction here has to be made. This is an issue of goals. Someone like your self is more on the ‘bodybuilding’ side and want to isolate muscles therefore you are limiting the arching of the back and digging of the feet into the ground. Whereas a ‘powerlifter’ who wants to lift as much weight as possible with good form will do everything in his/her power to lift the weight. Bringing the legs off the ground will make you weaker, will make you use your abs, and consequently lift less.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
A-Dizz wrote:

straight up hijacking.

[/quote]

yeah sorry about that, I didn’t even realize I was doing it. I apologize.

[quote]Contach wrote:
A-Dizz wrote:

A distinction here has to be made. This is an issue of goals. Someone like your self is more on the ‘bodybuilding’ side and want to isolate muscles therefore you are limiting the arching of the back and digging of the feet into the ground. Whereas a ‘powerlifter’ who wants to lift as much weight as possible with good form will do everything in his/her power to lift the weight. Bringing the legs off the ground will make you weaker, will make you use your abs, and consequently lift less.[/quote]

perfect answer, thank you.