T Nation

Wrist Pain from Squatting?

Hi there! first time poster here.
Im noticing that usually my wrists hurt from squatting. Is this an indication of too Wide/narrow grip, or maybe even shoulder flexibility?

Dont know the specific answer to the question because you havnt given the specifics of your form.

But suffice to say, you are probably doing something wrong.

How are your wrists positioned?

Are they bent back or in a strong “straight” position? Imagine punching someone. That’s the way your wrist should look in any power movement. There are varying opinions on elbows position, but I like to have my elbows high to the rear, allowing for a strong neutral wrist position and a lot of upper back tightness.

I also squat with moderately loose wrist wraps.

You may want to just try using some wrist wraps.

Chalk your back
Wear a shirt that provides some friction
Get a more muscular back
Solved my problems. Wrist wraps just provided another kind of pain.

Thats the problem, they are quite bent back, would using a wider grip be ok, or would that compromise back tightness too much?

As for getting bigger back muscles, yes, I am working on that, it just takes a little time :stuck_out_tongue:

I know how you feel. I just ended up wearing wrist wraps and improving the flexibility of my wrist. I read in Starting Strength, that the best way to hold the bar is to have the thumbs over it rather than wrapped around. Try it, I personally don’t like it. As for the width, If your back is not huge or you’re not a big guy, I would not sacrifice the back tightness and “shelfing” of the posterior delts.

[quote]Wesmar wrote:
Thats the problem, they are quite bent back, would using a wider grip be ok, or would that compromise back tightness too much?

As for getting bigger back muscles, yes, I am working on that, it just takes a little time :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

Need video to see if anything could be changed for the positive. I squat the Rippetoe way, for record.

I’ll see if I can make a video sometime next week. Can’t say for sure I squat the Rippetoe way, but hopefully not far from it. Back as tight as possible, Bar low (but not too low!) Knees behind toes.

For the record I recently built a squat box and am hpoing to have nice gains now that I can finally squat safely with good enough depth on every rep.

I also have a manta ray. I bought it when I had NO back muscles, and placing bar high enough to be stable killed my neck muscles and would give me migraine like headeaches days after squatting. Now, I dont like it too much, it places bar a bit too high (although my wrists love it), and it doesnt feel 100% stable.

To summarize :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll try and make a video so I can get feedback. Would hate to have my squat held back by some beginners error in hand positioning, or lack of flexibility in arms/shoulders.

I have seen this quite a bit and 99% of the time its based around the person not grabbing the bar with a serious grip. When you squat you should grab the bar like your going to kill the fucken thing, grab it with intensity and maintain that grip the whole way through your reps until you re-rack. This fixes limp wrist (bending back) 99% of the time. The other thing is to try to drop your elbows down as you come up out of the hole, this helps to allow the drive from the elbow to the hand to be straighter, therefore allowing less limp wrist as well.

just sayin

IDK how people cant answer ur question right away its because they probably dont know wat there talking about. The reason your wrists hurt is because of your form this used to happen to me its becuase the bar is too low on your back. I used to have this problem but then i got a real spotter…it has nothing to do with your grip unless your just being a moron.

[quote]YoungBeast wrote:
IDK how people cant answer ur question right away its because they probably dont know wat there talking about. [/quote]

is this really supposed to be a sentence of english??

LMFAO

To update on my thread, I have been doing great wrist-wise lately. This is due to two factors, I bought myself some wrist wraps, and I have done lots of flexibility exercises for my shoulders.

Set a new pr on tuesday with 3 reps at 120kg (265 pounds). All in all I think the 50-60 dollars I spent on building a squat box and getting myself wrist wraps is the best training investment I have ever done.
Next goal, 315 squat!

@ Alexus thats how people under 28 talk on forums and facebook and stuff like that. Basically its common sense to know wat im saying u used lmfao and btw you didnt capitalize is in ur sentance eighter also two ?? at the end of ur sentance wtf is that. RATCHET.