T Nation

Wrist Issues While Bench Pressing

I was pressing today, and had some pain in my wrist. It forced me to cut my set short. It was like a sharp pain like something was being stretched to far or loaded beyond what it could handle.

Other things:
-it was only on bench, I did OH pressing with no problem
-When I got a lift off, no problem, the pain was significantly less, but still there (workable)

Thoughts? Would wrist wraps help?

I don’t think I’m strong enough to have to worry about wrist wraps yet (not even pressing bodyweight yet, dammit, I was doing 3x5x165). That said, my “day job” is playing guitar so healthy wrists are relatively important.

Thanks in advance.
-CD

how is your hand positioned when you’re doing bench? is it alligned like you were about to punch someone or is it extended like the top of a reverse wrist curl

stretching and strengthen them and the forearms

[quote]bams_101 wrote:
how is your hand positioned when you’re doing bench? is it alligned like you were about to punch someone or is it extended like the top of a reverse wrist curl[/quote]

Now that I think about it, I’m probably extending at the top. I’ll have to pay attention to that next time around. Thanks.

[quote]bignate wrote:
stretching and strengthen them and the forearms[/quote]

I do need to pay some more attention to stretching.

Wrist wraps will most likely help. Just don’t use them all the time, and make sure you do something to stretch and strengthen your wrists.

I use wrist wraps all the time. Once I pass 315lbs I put the wraps on. Call it an ounce of prevention. Quality wrist wraps are like $20 or so. Make the investment

go to atp wristwrap store online, sign up they are always giving free wraps if u order something else and no minumum order its very nice

Apart from wrist wraps try and use the fattest bar available in your training center. This disperses the force on your wrist. You can press more on a thinner bar but unless you are training specifically for maxes as in you actually compete in PLing you wont have to worry about it.

Also, investing in wraps for heavier sets and some good grippers from ironmind.com will help prepare your hands for battling the iron and your enemies (or just your wife/gf). I find having a good grip keeps her at bay long enough for me to find some kind of blunt object to beat her back into the trunk.

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:
Apart from wrist wraps try and use the fattest bar available in your training center. This disperses the force on your wrist. You can press more on a thinner bar but unless you are training specifically for maxes as in you actually compete in PLing you wont have to worry about it.

Also, investing in wraps for heavier sets and some good grippers from ironmind.com will help prepare your hands for battling the iron and your enemies (or just your wife/gf). I find having a good grip keeps her at bay long enough for me to find some kind of blunt object to beat her back into the trunk.

-chris[/quote]

I’ll keep that in mind?

Okay, so as I mentioned above, my day job is play guitar. Teaching, performing, in school of a masters of music in guitar performance. I’ll have to experiment with direct forearm work. If it gives me DOMS or influences practicing/performing negatively, I’ll have to drop it. I was thinking someone intense, but not necessarily a gripper exercise. Like heavy DB holds for time. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice guys.

-CD

[quote]boyscout wrote:
Avocado wrote:

-chris

I’ll keep that in mind?

Okay, so as I mentioned above, my day job is play guitar. Teaching, performing, in school of a masters of music in guitar performance. I’ll have to experiment with direct forearm work. If it gives me DOMS or influences practicing/performing negatively, I’ll have to drop it. I was thinking someone intense, but not necessarily a gripper exercise. Like heavy DB holds for time. Thoughts?

-CD[/quote]

just don’t drop it too quick, even if it does give you DOMS it will only be for a short period of time then your body will adjust.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
boyscout wrote:
Avocado wrote:

-chris

I’ll keep that in mind?

-CD

just don’t drop it too quick, even if it does give you DOMS it will only be for a short period of time then your body will adjust.
[/quote]

Right. I don’t have huge commitments playingwise now, so I’ll start putting some direct work in and see how I fair. With any luck, I’ll be adjusted to the work load by the time school starts, and I can continue direct forearm work.

I’ve always been curious what would happen if a guitarist (who uses pretty exclusively wrist/finger flexors) did a lot of forearm extensor work. Would it help with playing? The extensors contribute to returning to the string. Stronger extensors=quicker return=faster, more efficient playing and movements? We’ll see.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
boyscout wrote:
Avocado wrote:

-chris

I’ll keep that in mind?

-CD

Right. I don’t have huge commitments playingwise now, so I’ll start putting some direct work in and see how I fair. With any luck, I’ll be adjusted to the work load by the time school starts, and I can continue direct forearm work.

I’ve always been curious what would happen if a guitarist (who uses pretty exclusively wrist/finger flexors) did a lot of forearm extensor work. Would it help with playing? The extensors contribute to returning to the string. Stronger extensors=quicker return=faster, more efficient playing and movements? We’ll see.[/quote]

Good pathology. that’s exactly what will happen. As it stands the pain is likely from huge muscle imbalance and immobile joints from playing the guitar so much. It is also likely the harbinger of repetitive strain injury. So direct forearm and finger work should be your number one priority. Ironmind.com has the best selection of strengthening and recovery tools on earth. The grippers shouldn’t be avoided as they will be a primary tool in improving speed and motor unit recruitment in your hands aka the moneymakers.

One of my guys is a professional guitar player and noticed that his abilities improved, or rather became easier to execute, as his hands got stronger. Good extensor work such as elastic bands and using the rice bucket will really keep those hands in good shape. a $5 bucket of rice goes a long way to making strong hands.

-chris