Wrist Injury - What Can I Do?

I have a pretty bad wrist sprain from basketball. I have to take a few weeks off from using barbells and dumbbells. Is there anything I can do for the upper body in the meantime? Airplanes are the only exercise I know of. Thanks.

You could probably hit at least the pecs and delts using machines, if you were careful… just by ignoring the hand grips.

You can also continue to work the uninjured side… there’s an article about that around here somewhere.

You might be able to do lunges and single leg work using an x-vest or a belt or something. Just don’t lose your balance and fall onto your injured wrist!

I don’t know, just throwing some ideas out there for you to think about and/or research a bit.

lots of stuff bro if you have some of those straps that go around your wrist/upper arm put them on below the injury and either suspend weights from them from chains and press to your hearts content or hook them to the cable machine and press away this should give zero wrist involvement and pain.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1270397

[quote]vroom wrote:
You can also continue to work the uninjured side… there’s an article about that around here somewhere.
[/quote]
I’ve thought about working only the right side (the healthy side). However, my right side is already more developed than the left side. For example, my right arm is about an inch bigger than the left. Would I just be enhancing the discrepency if I worked only the right side?

[quote]Phill wrote:
lots of stuff bro if you have some of those straps that go around your wrist/upper arm put them on below the injury and either suspend weights from them from chains and press to your hearts content or hook them to the cable machine and press away this should give zero wrist involvement and pain.

[/quote]
Thanks for the reply. Are you talking about the wrist wraps that Eric Cressey mentioned in point 1 of the article he linked above or something else?

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1270397
[/quote]
Thanks! I’ll try to follow all of those suggestions. I’ve never seen a thick bar at my gym, though. It sounds like it would be a lot easier on my wrist.

Can I just use athletic tape and wrap it around my wrist (from the heal to a few inches beyond) or are the wrist straps better? I’m asking because I already have tons of athletic tape.

My left wrist is jacked up right now…been using a wrist brace that has a support to keep it from bending and its allowed me to keep going in the gym free of pain. You can grab them at CVS or local pharmacies for a few bucks. Looks kinda like a smaller version of those things roller bladers wear.

One I have is from a company called FUTURO. Only advice I can give it get used to gripping with it before you pile on weights…its an akward but not unmanagable grip.

We have some soldiers do push-ups on closed fists with wrist problems depending on exactly what the problem it. Ask your doc if this is ok.