T Nation

Wrist/Hand Problem

I’ve been lifting for about the past 7 years and seriously (strict diet and training logs with lots of compounds) lifting since early last year

in the past few months i started deadlifting which means i’m a noob at the exercise at a mighty 1 RM of 250 lbs

for a about a month or so now i have occasionally lost feeling in the first 3 fingers of my hands if i apply pressure at the wrist near the base of the thumb, by losing feeling i mean what you would experience if you sat on your hand for a few minutes

this happens to both hands but much more easily to my left hand (i am left handed)

it doesn’t even have to be a lot of applied pressure, something like laying my wrist on the edge of my desk or chair handrests and within a minute i start losing feeling in my first three fingers (i’m pretty sure it’s not carpal tunnel since the rest of my life hasn’t changed much)

if i remove my wrist and wiggle my hand around the feeling quickly returns to normal

within this same time period my grip strength has gone up dramatically due to the deadlifts and all my other grip-dependent lifts like chinups have significantly improved as well, i don’t get these freezing issues during lifting as my wrists are not in direct contact with any surface

anyone have an idea what the hell is going on ?

why did it take you 7 years of training before you started deadlifting? lol :stuck_out_tongue:

It could be a nerve problem or something cutting of the circulation to your hands.

That’s all I could come up with, it’s never happened to me or anybody I know.

good luck dood.

Gerdy

Well, it could easily be CTS. Most CTS cases are idiophathic, therefore the absence of life changes is largely irrelevent.

Interestingly enough, you seem to describe Durkan test, or the carpal compression test where you push down on the palmar aspect of your wrist(generally with the other hand’s palm) for about 30-60s and that should reproduce the symptoms.

The most classic test but not as specific is Tinel’s sign where you detect an inflammed/compressed nerve where you percuss (tap gently with your finger on the affected nerve ( in your case, largely the middle part of the palmar aspect of the wrist where the median nerve courses through the carpal tunnel). Tingling and or pins and needle sensations should be felt along the normal distribution of the nerve (in that case, along the three first fingers (thumb, index and middle finger and half the ring finger closest to the middle finger ).

Another nice test where you can check both hands at the same time is Phalen’s test where you can push both volar aspects of the hands on one another until both wrist touch. If withing one minute you get numbness or pins and neddles along the same distribution then you have a positive test.

Also the faster you get symptoms from the test tends to indicate severity of compression.

Of course, there are some other causes of bilateral neuropathy but CTS would still be very high in my differential. You should probably get a medical check up for that and initial investigations and treatments could be recommended by your MD should it turn out to be CTS.

Anyway, good luck to yon on that.
AlexH

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
I’ve been lifting for about the past 7 years and seriously (strict diet and training logs with lots of compounds) lifting since early last year

in the past few months i started deadlifting which means i’m a noob at the exercise at a mighty 1 RM of 250 lbs

for a about a month or so now i have occasionally lost feeling in the first 3 fingers of my hands if i apply pressure at the wrist near the base of the thumb, by losing feeling i mean what you would experience if you sat on your hand for a few minutes

this happens to both hands but much more easily to my left hand (i am left handed)

it doesn’t even have to be a lot of applied pressure, something like laying my wrist on the edge of my desk or chair handrests and within a minute i start losing feeling in my first three fingers (i’m pretty sure it’s not carpal tunnel since the rest of my life hasn’t changed much)

if i remove my wrist and wiggle my hand around the feeling quickly returns to normal

within this same time period my grip strength has gone up dramatically due to the deadlifts and all my other grip-dependent lifts like chinups have significantly improved as well, i don’t get these freezing issues during lifting as my wrists are not in direct contact with any surface

anyone have an idea what the hell is going on ?[/quote]

i tried some regular pushups yesterday for the hell of it (i normally do the ones where you push on your fists) and i probably screwed up this nerve issue more because so far throughout today i have partial numbness in both of my thumbs

maybe i should take a few days off from lifting and see if it improves but that’s annoying because it doesn’t affect my lifting and prolonged absence starts making me go crazy

Do you use straps? I’m not sure if it would have have any effect only pulling 250lbs., but when I go really heavy and I am trying to break in new straps, I’ve had similar problems.

the last time i used straps or gloves was over a year ago doing machine benching or db curls but not since

everything i do these days is barehanded including deadlifts and chins

i let it rest for a day but i’ll try my chest day today, if it feels worse/more numb tomorrow then i’ll start worrying

did the chest day and all lifts were the same or improved except for my warmup pushups and my neutral grip presses

and today as a result i have some partial numbness in my second and third fingers too along with some more hand pain, right hand is still fine

looks like i’ll have to lay off upper body for a while