T Nation

Wrist/Hand Pain from High Pulls

I’ve been doing SGHP for awhile now, and its all been fine. But once you start high pulling a fair amount past your bodyweight, your hands/wrists can start to get really beat up.

I think it’s the combination of the velocity of the movement and wearing straps, but the straps would scrape and press against your hands to the point where the skin on my wrist is peeling off. The base of my thumbs are also bruised. Been trying to tough it out through HP workouts, but its getting annoying. Anyone have any tips for this?

[quote]pndpmt wrote:
I’ve been doing SGHP for awhile now, and its all been fine. But once you start high pulling a fair amount past your bodyweight, your hands/wrists can start to get really beat up.

I think it’s the combination of the velocity of the movement and wearing straps, but the straps would scrape and press against your hands to the point where the skin on my wrist is peeling off. The base of my thumbs are also bruised. Been trying to tough it out through HP workouts, but its getting annoying. Anyone have any tips for this?[/quote]

I use athletic tape around wrists, wrapped loosely, just as a barrier between the straps and skin.

Also, get better straps - Scheiko leather straps have made a big difference for me. They still hurt but I don’t feel it til after the WO. Then, within a day it’s gone.

Tape your thumb with athletic tape as well.

Use chalk along with the straps for best grip.

Make sure your grip and straps are right against the bar - don’t allow any slop. This can be a challenge since you need to keep your arms relaxed during the pull - it takes practice.

I actually have a tougher extra layer of skin built up at the base of the inside of each thumb now from so many pulls.

Cheers,
M

Awesome ideas! Can’t believe I didn’t think of the athletic tapes before… thank you

i’ve been using boxing hand wraps to protect my wrists from the straps rubbing. hasn’t negatively affected the grip and it’s reusable :wink: