T Nation

Wrist Curl Pain

Wrist curls really hurt my wrists.

Does the standing version with arms hanging work just as well? They give me no pain.

I’m doing a lot of pulling compound exercises already but my forearms are a weak point. But my grip is strong (relatively of course).

Where it hurts.

I took a pitch off my left wrist when I was 18 and ever since then I have pain in my left wrist (in the same spot as your second pic) when I do regular wrist curls. I can do the standing, behind the back version with no pain though.

I’m not convinced the standing version is more effective, but I sure can use a shitload more weight than I can with the regular version. I’ll take that as a trade off for the reduced range of motion.

If you have pain, then you do what you can to train around it.

I have pain in the same spot, but it’s when I do BB curls.

I don’t get any pain but my right wrist pops like crazy and eventually leads to my right hand going numb. I stray away from them anymore.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
I took a pitch off my left wrist when I was 18 and ever since then I have pain in my left wrist (in the same spot as your second pic) when I do regular wrist curls. I can do the standing, behind the back version with no pain though.

I’m not convinced the standing version is more effective, but I sure can use a shitload more weight than I can with the regular version. I’ll take that as a trade off for the reduced range of motion.

If you have pain, then you do what you can to train around it.[/quote]

I have broken both wrists while skateboarding.

I wonder why only that movement causes pain in that one small area?