T Nation

Wrist Ache

my wrist aches whenever i barbell bench. Not dumbbell bench or dips though, which is weird. And it doesnt matter how much weight I use, if I use 70s for dumbbells it doesnt hurt, but if I use 95 for barbell, it still hurts. I’m not sure what I should do. Should I just wrap it whenever I try to barbell bench or stay away from that exercise? Thanks for any input.

oh yah, and if i squeeze my wrist, it pops.

How wide is your grip? If your grip is too wide, it can place pressure on the wrists, especially if they are weak. Try an 18-24" inch grip and see if they still hurt.

[quote]thegreenzuchinni wrote:
my wrist aches whenever i barbell bench. Not dumbbell bench or dips though, which is weird. And it doesnt matter how much weight I use, if I use 70s for dumbbells it doesnt hurt, but if I use 95 for barbell, it still hurts. I’m not sure what I should do. Should I just wrap it whenever I try to barbell bench or stay away from that exercise? Thanks for any input.
[/quote]

I had the same problem…no i use wrist supports and my wrists don’t get sore at all…
http://store.yahoo.com/dotcoms/evwrsuev.html

I have the same exact thing, only I can bench without pain. But my left wrist has a slightly limited ROM and when I squeeze it a certain way I can make it pop too. Curling with a barbell is sort of difficult, but I still manage to do it.

are your nuckles pinting up an you squeeze the bar?

Or is it too much wanking?

I injured my wrist back in February (everyone on this site probably remembers me whining about it). When I first started lifting again I used wraps but since I can’t seem to find them (see “Beat my Caption” to find out why) I lift without out them and don’t seem to need them anymore. They’re good to use to help prevent further injury until it heals; or atleast I believe.
The doctor basically told me to do what I can manage to do when I injured it; so if something is causing you PAIN don’t do it!
Oh and don’t be a sissy and say lactic acid buildup is pain :slight_smile:

[quote]Proteinpowda wrote:
I injured my wrist back in February (everyone on this site probably remembers me whining about it). When I first started lifting again I used wraps but since I can’t seem to find them (see “Beat my Caption” to find out why) I lift without out them and don’t seem to need them anymore. They’re good to use to help prevent further injury until it heals; or atleast I believe.
The doctor basically told me to do what I can manage to do when I injured it; so if something is causing you PAIN don’t do it!
Oh and don’t be a sissy and say lactic acid buildup is pain :)[/quote]

You mean you used your wrist straps as restraints during some S&M play?

When you bench press your wrists are “locked” into an unnatural horizontial position. That’s the reason that they don’t hurt when you use dumbbells. The DB’s allow your wrists to move more freely through the movement.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
When you bench press your wrists are “locked” into an unnatural horizontial position. That’s the reason that they don’t hurt when you use dumbbells. The DB’s allow your wrists to move more freely through the movement.

[/quote]

is there anything good you can say about benching?

Fish oil helped me. Wrist wraps tend to “choke” my wrists.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
ZEB wrote:
When you bench press your wrists are “locked” into an unnatural horizontial position. That’s the reason that they don’t hurt when you use dumbbells. The DB’s allow your wrists to move more freely through the movement.

is there anything good you can say about benching?
[/quote]

Joe:

Peronally, I don’t like any movement that loads the shoulder, locks the hands in place and then places them at an awakard vulnerable position (even with the chest in a prone position). All this with a heavy weight!

Keep in mind when you are 25 years old you (usually) don’t appreciate how cumulative damage occurs.

To those who have the attitude that “any movement can be dangerous” I would agree to a point. However, bench pressing, in my opinion, is one of those moves that, even if perfomed with perfect technique can cause long term shoulder damage (if over done), unless you are blessed with shorter arms and more of a barrel chest.

If you think that you can do “any movement” with a barbell and it’s productive long term I would have to disagree. Since there are an enormous amount of great barbell and dumbbell movements, why choose one (however popular you think it is) that can cause long term shoulder damage?

Hope this answers your question.

Right now, put your thumb across your palm, close your fingers over your thumb, and then tilt your wrist towards your pinkie, away from your thumb tendon. Does that hurt? If so, you may have dequervain’s, a type of tendinosys that affects people who do a lot of gripping in awkward positions (like close grip chin ups, wide grip deadlifting, wide grip benching and so on). It hurts like a mother. And inhibits your ability to extend your wrist. If that’s the case, post and I will tell you more. Good luck.

I have had a similar wrist injury for nearly a year now due to an episode in the gym where i found it necessary to try to impress some girls in there by going for all the marbles. Not a good call.

Anyhow, Now I just go easy on the wrist, I watch my left wrist carefully and although it feels like the thumb pops a lot and hurts like a bitch, I’ve heard that there is nothing that can really be done about it.

Never tried a wrist wrap but I had a brace and it just made it impossible to move my hand so I gave up on it quickly.

[quote]Rocket Lax wrote:
Right now, put your thumb across your palm, close your fingers over your thumb, and then tilt your wrist towards your pinkie, away from your thumb tendon. Does that hurt? If so, you may have dequervain’s, a type of tendinosys that affects people who do a lot of gripping in awkward positions (like close grip chin ups, wide grip deadlifting, wide grip benching and so on). It hurts like a mother. And inhibits your ability to extend your wrist. If that’s the case, post and I will tell you more. Good luck.[/quote]

i was just reading this and ive had the same problem with benching but never thought much about it. i tried your test you just described and had a nice little pain lol - care to elaborate? exercises for it, prevention, ect?

thanks, Darryll

DowntownDurrell, I have had DeQuervain’s for about a year. Basically, the sheath around the thumb tendon gets irritated, making it impossible to slide the tendon back and forth. The pain progressed to the point where I couldn’t even hold a dumbbell. I had ART and acupuncture and got no relief. Then my doc put me in a cast for two weeks and that just made everything worse - I couldn’t even touch my thumb to the tip of my middle finger. I got a steroid shot in my wrist, which reduced the inflammation and eliminated the pain.

While pain-free, I started an aggressive rehab protocol, based on a program I found on T-Nation. Basically, I did 3 sets of 15 negatives for the tendon twice a day. I started with 5 lbs and moved up to using 15 lbs over a couple months. These were negatives only! I’d slowly lower the weight and then lift it back to the starting point with my other hand before starting the next rep. Eventually the shot wore off and some pain returned, but thanks to the rehab I did, I now have 90 percent of my wrist function and can do essentially any exercise I want besides clean-grip front squats (which require really flexible wrists). If you’re having problems, I’d suggest doing that rehab program now before things get worse!

I have had the cortizone shots or whatever its called before and it was temporary relief for the tenden that goes through your wrist and connects with the thumb, like mentioned above, it was a temporary relief, the pain did return, i went easy for a while and just try not to put it in a position for injury.

sorry i wasnt able to reply for the past few days

um im pretty sure my grip isn’t too wide because i bench with the pinkies at the rings and im a pretty tall guy with pretty long arms (6’4")

ZEB: what you said seems pretty logical. is there anything i can do to bench with barbells though? or should i just let it go for a while?

generally, my wrist doesnt hurt unless i load weight on it. i can move it around all over the place, but it pops alot.

I too have left, wrist problems. However, I’ve noticed since I’ve increased my grip strength my wrist doesn’t bother me that much anymore. Just workout your forearms more and get grippers for improved strength in the wrists. My wrists have actually gotten thicker since I’ve incorporated the routines into my regime. And stop popping your wrists!

Good Luck!