T Nation

Wrestling

This is for all of you former/current wrestlers out there, what kind of programs/training did you use to get into peak shape.

All info is appreciated

What exactly are your goals, I think most would need more info. Want to get into peak shape is pretty vague.

One thing that is always helpful is to honestly asses your strengths and weaknesses, or have you coach do it. Be honset and realize all athletes have areas that would benefit from extra work, whether it be cardio, strength, agility, explosive strength or strength endurance.

Focus you program around you weaknesses and maintain your current strengths.

Hardwork…easist program that will get you farthur (sp) then anyone else. You can have a program thats shit but if you work hard youll tear it up on the mat. Technique is more important over conditioning anyways. Practice with your school, find a club, practice with them, when your team is taking a break practice, when they are drinking water, practice, when they dont show up, practice. Technique is #1. As far as actual programs tho…Circuits, sprint 100m do 10push ups, 10sit ups, perfect form 100m do 10push ups, 10sit ups, do that for a while. As far as mat work nothing works better and doing spawls and shots til u cant stand

When I wrestled at Keystone Oaks middle and high, we warmed up with some running and stretching, then drilled for about an hour and a half. Our coaches theory was real simple. If you made it through practice, you will make it through a match. We turned out alot of state ranked and nationaly ranked wrestlers in those days.Kurt Angle was one of them, but transferred to Mt.Lebanon later.
I transfered to another high school where the coach thought we should spend a good part of practice running sprints. Most of those kids ended up making it through the matches in very good shape, on their backs.
A good friend of mine is a c.s.c.c. and gets the trade journals with the more modern training techniques. If this thread is still alive next week, I’ll see what I can find and post for you.
You can also try to contact some of the districts in westsrn Pa. Some of the most winning teams are McGuffy,Cannon McMillan,Wanesburgh,and Connelsville. Those teams turn out some beasts.

TTT lets hear more about this

This is what I do. It works for me, but everyone is different.
Strength Training
-Conjugate method…For me I’ve realized that if I can lets say deadlift 500 pounds I can toss around a 200 pound guy with ease since theoretically its less than 505 of my max
-Sandbag training…I love messing with these I do a ton of GPP work with a sandbag

Conditioning
-Interval Runs and 400m sprints work well for me also doing some stair sprints or buddy sprints with a guy of similar weight on your back
-Full Speed Wrestling…nothing makes you better conditioned to wrestle than actually wrestling

Technique
-find a coach learn all you can practice then practice some more

i know i was pretty vague in my answers ill try to add more detail later

[quote]BJBliffert wrote:
What exactly are your goals, I think most would need more info. Want to get into peak shape is pretty vague.

My goals are to bascially try to improve my enduarnce and explosive moves (for the pins and such) and pack on some muscle.

Thanks for the tips

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
When I wrestled at Keystone Oaks middle and high, we warmed up with some running and stretching, then drilled for about an hour and a half. Our coaches theory was real simple. If you made it through practice, you will make it through a match. We turned out alot of state ranked and nationaly ranked wrestlers in those days.Kurt Angle was one of them, but transferred to Mt.Lebanon later.
I transfered to another high school where the coach thought we should spend a good part of practice running sprints. Most of those kids ended up making it through the matches in very good shape, on their backs.
A good friend of mine is a c.s.c.c. and gets the trade journals with the more modern training techniques. If this thread is still alive next week, I’ll see what I can find and post for you.
You can also try to contact some of the districts in westsrn Pa. Some of the most winning teams are McGuffy,Cannon McMillan,Wanesburgh,and Connelsville. Those teams turn out some beasts.
[/quote]

i would really appreciate it if you could find those journals

Again thanx to everyone for the advice so far