T Nation

Wrestling Weight

I currently weigh about 165 lbs. I'mm contemplating whether to wrestle 152, 160, or 171. 152 is overall the most competitive and most athletic of the three, 160 the middle, and 171 the bottom. By less competitive I mean overall less kids to face.

What state do you wrestle in?

well, i prolly wouldn't go up to 171, since most of those guys will naturally be 185+lbs. then it would be 152 or 160...it depends if you want a state title, or wrestle the best people....btw, do you have to do team tryouts??

I wrestled in HS for 3 years and dropping weight sucked. I could go into a big speech about this, but my advise is to take the weight class where you don't have to constantly struggle to make weight. Make it easy on yourself, you'll have more energy to practice harder and more energy for your matches. You want to be a madman on the mat, not a sluggish 152 pounder because you had to run laps before the tournament to make weight.

Fuck RINGWORM!!!!

Kir Dog

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
I currently weigh about 165 lbs. I'mm contemplating whether to wrestle 152, 160, or 171. 152 is overall the most competitive and most athletic of the three, 160 the middle, and 171 the bottom. By less competitive I mean overall less kids to face.
When I was in highschool I would come out of football season weighing 165 and every year I cut to 152 (for the strength of the team) even though I could have my choice of 152, 160, or 171. My senior year I wrestled the 4th and 6th seeds of the 160 class in practice before sections and completely demolished them. When I competed in 152's at sections I was so depleted that I didn't even make it to the second day of the tournament (the competition was also much more fierce at 152). I still kick myself in the ass for not wrestling at 160. I most likely would have gone to state. My advice, go 160's and get all the food and water you need to recover from your workouts so you can come in strong at the 160lb. class.

160 seems to be the best. Not a pain to cut weight, I could keeep up glycogen levels, and the kids won't be bigger than me. Thanx for all the advice.