T Nation

Wrestling & Weight Training

Guys I’m competing in the NAGA World Championships in March and was wondering if any of the wrestlers or MMAers in here could offer some advice on the lifting aspect of my training ive used a hybrid style of westside similar to the joe average strength systems but i was wondering how i could lower the intensity of my weight training as to not overtrain, fry my CNS, or peak before the tournament any help would be greatful thanks

Check out Wrestling Strength: The Competitive Edge by Matt Brzycki.

About the Author
Matt Brzycki has been a featured speaker at local, regional, state and national conferences and clinics throughout the United States and Canada. Since November 1984, he has authored more than 200 articles on strength and fitness that have been featured in 36 different publications. Brzycki has written three books: A Practical Approach to Strength Training (1995), Youth Strength and Conditioning (1995) and Cross Training for Fitness (1997). Since 1982, he has been involved in the strength and conditioning of collegiate wrestlers at three schools (Penn State, Rutgers University and Princeton University). He and his wife, Alicia, reside in Lawrenceville, New Jersey, with their son, Ryan.

Product Description:
The Competitive Edge features chapters on the following: designing a strength program, stimulating muscular growth, fiber types and repetition ranges, metabolic conditioning, getting the most out of dips and chins, manual resistance for wrestlers, improving skills: what the research says, and summer conditioning program for wrestling.

Congrats at competing at NAGA. I recommend getting Gladiator Conditiong by Mark Hatmaker or High Octane Cardio by Mike Mahler. Cardio is key. I competed at the Southern Open Submission Tourney aout 4 years ago. I lost my first match to my old instructor after like 8 minutes. My next match I won in like 5 minutes or so. My third match I lost simply cause I gassed and my arms had lactic acid build up. As for this day and age I just finished my Kettlebell workout. I recommend this highly as its a weight based cardio workout, perfect for sub grappling as it gives you real world, effective strength. If you can’t find the High Octane Cardio article PM me and I’ll e-mail it to you. Good luck. Where do you train? What weight class?

im competing in teen advanced as a heavyweight i train right now with my local high school wrestling team mainly for ground control and wrestling basics then at night i travel 45 minutes to a BJJ gym and for an hour work on advanced technique i do my own conditioning on my own thanks for the help i read over the high octane article and it really hit home i now have an idea of what needs to be down also homsian i had ordered that book from amazon last week the reviews i read sounded great thanks for all the help guys

[quote]chtdrmn wrote:
im competing in teen advanced as a heavyweight i train right now with my local high school wrestling team mainly for ground control and wrestling basics then at night i travel 45 minutes to a BJJ gym and for an hour work on advanced technique i do my own conditioning on my own thanks for the help i read over the high octane article and it really hit home i now have an idea of what needs to be down also homsian i had ordered that book from amazon last week the reviews i read sounded great thanks for all the help guys [/quote]

hey, let us know how you do, i was a Nat-Prep All-American my junior year in highschool, im reall impressed about NAGA, so keep us up to date with your progress bro