T Nation

'Wrestling Shape' Knowledge

would a rowing machine for cardio be good? and what kind of routines would be recommended to best benefit wrestling

Crossfit style conditioning with out a doubt. Rowers are a good tool, but alone won’t help you much.

dude – perhaps it would be better for you to take these types of questions to a different type of website – very few if any of the T-Nation agree with your goals, training, ad eating habits.

This is not a site that will encourage you to stay small - eat like an anorexic teenage girl, mess up your hormones.

I know that you have decided to wrestle at that crazy weight class – that is your right but, coming here for advice is counter-productive to your goals. However if you were to listen then perhaps it would be beneficial.

The reality seems that sure you only have to get to weight 2 more times – but when that is over (the truth is) you are not going to start to eat again 1800-2000 calories and try to gain as much muscles as possible.

I could be wrong – you are just not patient enough. you will gain a little water at first and think you are fat and have to “CUT” again.

Seriously, you have been told what you need to do on here enough – i wont elaborate except … squat, dead, bench, pull up, eat…

You seem to have good genetics – take advantage of them or shut up and go post on the anorexic wrestler site.

I am not trying to be rough with you – just you need a wake up call as many others have said on here.

For wrestling shape, the best thing you can possibly do is live wrestling. Other than that I have found sprint training and circuits to help as well. Just wondering, what weight class are you going?

[quote]thejkl wrote:
dude – perhaps it would be better for you to take these types of questions to a different type of website – very few if any of the T-Nation agree with your goals, training, ad eating habits.

This is not a site that will encourage you to stay small - eat like an anorexic teenage girl, mess up your hormones.

I know that you have decided to wrestle at that crazy weight class – that is your right but, coming here for advice is counter-productive to your goals. However if you were to listen then perhaps it would be beneficial.

The reality seems that sure you only have to get to weight 2 more times – but when that is over (the truth is) you are not going to start to eat again 1800-2000 calories and try to gain as much muscles as possible.

I could be wrong – you are just not patient enough. you will gain a little water at first and think you are fat and have to “CUT” again.

Seriously, you have been told what you need to do on here enough – i wont elaborate except … squat, dead, bench, pull up, eat…

You seem to have good genetics – take advantage of them or shut up and go post on the anorexic wrestler site.

I am not trying to be rough with you – just you need a wake up call as many others have said on here.
[/quote]

I don’t know if you realized this is the combat sports section of T-Nation.

[quote]tplet wrote:
114[/quote]

How much are you cutting to get there you look big for 112 in your avatar. Also rowing machine intense intervals are really good for grappling sports works anerobic endurance gets you muscle balance and good pullling strength.

Rowing machines are solid, and a good way to add variety or when its too cold to do road work or sprints.

if you are using a concpet two you can program
intervals into them…
You can do sprints, intervals
times sprinted distances of xxx or xxxx meters.

kmc

Yea like dylan said you look real big for that weight. I would do intervals on the rower if you can, I have very little experience with them, but it was definitely a workout when I did it.

i cut from 130 to get to 114. me in my avatar is me at 114.

I wrestle so from ‘personal experience’ (i.e. what I do), I like working on 3 areas:
your ability to be 100% for time (sort of power endurance if you will), and recover from these bouts your ability to go at a pretty hard pace
your complete work capacity/gas tank.

This sort of simplifies to anaerobic alactic/anaerobic lactic/aerobic, but basically I like to work on really hard 20-30 sec sprints, and working on recovering from these bouts with less and less time between; 1 + min goes at a fairly hard pace; and then just some general aerobic work to improve your heart, lungs, and work capacity.

What I do is sort of rotate through these workouts as often as possible/as I can i.e.
Day 1) there’s a nice long (10 flights) staircase about 2 k from my house, so jog there easy, 10 or so sprints, jog back
Day 2) 3 x 2 min rower 30 secs rest, 3 min handbike, 1 min rest
Day 3) 3-5 mile run sort of intervally with some hills, walking, running harder, thrown in
etc.

As for conditioning tools, I like regular running, both ergometers (upper body hand bike for pumelling/upper body muscular endurance and rowing machine), stairs, and I like kettlebell complexes a lot. Another workout I like is doing 1 min goes of KB Snatches, Jerks, and Swings with no rest, or a complex like this:

Left Snatch
Left C+ J
Right Snatch
Right C+J
Front Squat
Left Lunge/Split Squat
Right Lunge/Split Squat
Left High Pull
Left Row
Right High Pull
Right Row

start out with maybe…3 reps per exercise (I find each rep you add to the complex adds about 20 secs per round), and add reps as progression or cut down on rest interval or add weight etc.
One other thing I should add is those 3 types of workouts should start to meld into 1 as you get closer to your peak. Eventually, all your conditioning sessions can start to resemble matches: i.e. 20 s hard 10 s easy on the erg for the length of an overtime match (working all 3 capacities in one workout, essentially).

Finally, wrestling is the most important thing. Quite frankly, if you wrestle a lot, you might not need to do much conditioning at all, particularly if you do a lot of matches in practice, and further, your technique is good.
Hope this helps, although its super disorganized.

Yeah, crossfit style programs.

To build applicable strength along with a general fitness level, focus on deadlifts, snatches, clean and jerks etc.

You want a strong back and strong legs for sure.

And perform lots of isometric exercises. Lots of people call them useless and gay but they are suckers.

They may not help put up pr squats, but they will definitely assist you in grappling for ground control and the like.