Traditional Elk’s training log

Conditioning day

1 mile run for time
7:02

Accumulate 50 reverse hypers

notes

Knocked this out in the middle of the day today. First lap was my slowest, but started moving quicker once I got warmed up. Next cycle or two aren’t going to be the most challenging I’ve done lifting wise, because I don’t think I’ll have the food/recovery in order to go crazy with it. But, I plan to push conditioning extra hard during this time. Always trying to improve something. Anyways, wanted to get a baseline running time to work off of. Other than an easy jog earlier this week this is my first run in close to 3 months…so we’ll see if I can get this down. After running I always think “man, I need to include that more”…then have the same thought next time I run 8-16 weeks later.

Decided to start krypteia tomorrow. I’ve ran it as written before, so I’m making some changes this time. Here’s how it will shake out:

3 lifting days a week-press on Monday, front squat on Wednesday, bench on Friday. I’ll be able to push front squats harder than I would regular given how my back has been, hence the change

On press day, superset chins & pull aparts between each set. Then hit a few sets of curls & tricep extensions

On front squat day, superset chins & dips, then hit some Ab wheel at the end

On bench day, superset chins & pull aparts again, then some rows

Tuesday will likely be an airdyne based conditioning workout, Thursday most likely a squatting based workout to move through after Wednesday, & then weekends could be anything I come up with, maybe just ABC’s one day, but at least one other conditioning workout. I’m going to continue training every day

On top of all of this, the tentative plan is to do 5 minutes of ABC’s everyday. With all the cleans & squats I’ll be getting in here, I felt like replacing the lower body accessory programmed in krypteia was fine.

A big crux of krypteia seems to be limiting the exercise selection, which I am trying to do. Lots of squats, presses, bench, dips, chins, pull aparts, & a couple other things. Trying to get a lot of work in with the basics

I think this will be a huge block for conditioning. ABC’s every day, plus a longer conditioning workout 3-4 other days a week, plus giant setting everything on the lifting days. I’m excited to see what happens. & it will set me up well for the switch to BBB krypteia after a couple cycles. Let’s do this

4 Likes

W1D1 Kinda Krypteia

Press
5x115, 130, 150, 5x5x115
Superset w/
Chins 9x10
Band pull aparts 9x15

Superset
Incline bench 3x10x155
Db curls 3x10x20

5 min ABC’s- 21 rounds w/45 lb kbs

Notes

First day transitioning to 5 am workouts. Really didn’t feel much worse. Press was a bit slower than usual, but everything else was good. Kept training maxes the same as last cycle so I don’t foresee weights being an issue

Finished all the lifting in under 40 minutes. That’s a good sign, though it is the easiest week

Did incline bench instead of tricep extensions. Thought it worked better. Will keep it there as long as I don’t start running into issues with time

3 Likes

Conditioning day

8 rounds (32 minutes)
0:00-2:00 airdyne
2:00-4:00 run down the street & back (~200 meters) then burpees in remaining time

5 mins ABC’s w/ 45 lb kbs -21 rounds

Notes

Traps were fried early in the ABC’s. Cleans were probably the toughest part, when usually I find them the easiest

Solid day today. Front squats on the docket for tomorrow

1 Like

W1D2 Kinda Krypteia

Front squat 5x185,205,235, 5x5x185
Superset w/
Dips 9x10
Chins 9x10

Ab wheel 4x3

5 mins ABC’s w/ 45 lb kbs -19 rounds

Notes

The lifting (including Ab wheel) took under 40 minutes. Then rested about 3 minutes & hit the ABC’s.

Front squats felt strong today. Again, nothing crazy today, just laying another brick in the foundation

After the first couple days, I was hoping to set 20 as a minimum goal on the ABC’s. Gotta keep working to get there

5 Likes

Conditioning day

5 rounds (20 minutes)
0:00-2:00 .5 miles airdyne, kb clusters in remaining time
2:00-4:00 run down street & back, burpee chins in remaining time
Averaged 7 clusters & 6 burpee chins per round

5 mins ABC’s w/ 45 lb kbs -21 rounds

Notes
On the run, my shoulders were the most tired. Going right from the clusters into it had them super fatigued. Wanted to just let them flop by my sides while running, but can’t risk the embarrassment even when most of my neighbors aren’t awake yet. Haha

On the ABC’s I did 6-4-3 then sets of 2. Was resting too much at the end though. I need to either take shorter rest times or hold on for bigger sets at the end. I was in the middle of my 13th round at the halfway mark, so I slowed down a lot at the end. Only got 8 in the last ~2:20 of the workout

With that said, I might start out even faster next time. “Fly and die” is risky, but when it goes well it pays off BIG time

4 Likes

W1D3 Kinda Krypteia

Bench 5x155,175,200, 5x5x155
Superset w/
Chins 9x10
Band pull aparts 9x15

Superset
BTN press 3x10
Kb row 3x10

5 min ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 22 rounds

Notes

Training maxes made this week not super heavy for the main lift. Still got good work in, but ready to push those harder while still pushing assistance & conditioning. Sticking to the plan

Bench day is probably the most conducive weekday for the ABC’s. Press & squat both bring more fatigue into it, as does conditioning. So it’s not surprising today was the highest number of rounds I’ve got on it.

Not sure what I’ll come up with for the weekend. Parents will be in town so probably nothing too crazy either day. Will still get ABC’s in. It’s been a good week hitting them daily. Initially, I was a little worried all the kb cleans would bother my back, but it’s been feeling way better since about Wednesday. I’ve always known in my head movement was good for recovery, but trusting the process on that has shown how true it really is in practice. For at least 4 weeks before this, I was avoiding hinging to try & let it recover. This week, I hammered it with close to 50 kb cleans a day. & it’s made the best recovery in the last few days. Staying moving really is the key

3 Likes

It’s honestly amazing how tonic those ABCs can be. Starting my weekends off with them is absolutely “taking my medicine”. I HATE doing them, but once those 5 minutes are done, I’m ready for the day.

1 Like

Conditioning day

Run a little over a mile (8:15)

Change shoes & couple minutes rest/talking

5 mins ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 21 rounds

Notes

Not super happy with today. Feel like I cracked on the ABC’s. I had completed 19 with a bit over 45 seconds left. So I had plenty of time to do 3 more after resting a little. I should I picked them up with 35 left, done a double, then sneak one more in before times up. But I waited until about 20 seconds left & hit the last two. Only a one round difference, but the effort level & mindset is so different. Disappointed in that. Back at it tomorrow…

3 Likes

Conditioning day

5 min ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 25 rounds

2 minute rest

20 minute airdyne- avg ~21 mph

Notes

PR on the ABC’s. More happy with the effort after yesterday. Did everything I could to scrap together as many rounds as I had in me. Did 5 at the start of each minute for 3 rounds, then went 3-3-2-2 in remaining time

First ~5 minutes on the airdyne had the goal of “stay on the seat & keep moving.” Glutes & quads were hammered after ABC’s, so just sitting there was painful with all the cramping. Got to a somewhat respectable pace for the second 5 minute sections, then finished with 10 minutes pushing the pace given what I had done before. Solid end to the day

4 Likes

nice job

1 Like

W2D1 Krypteia

Press 5x120,140,160, 5x5x120
Superset w/
Chins 9x10
Band pull aparts 9x15

Superset
Incline bench 3x10x155
Curls 3x15

5 min ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 21 rounds

Notes

Finished quicker than last week with heavier presses & more reps on curls. Solid day today

3 Likes

Conditioning day

8 rounds (32 minutes)
0:00-2:00 airdyne
2:00-4:00 run down street & back then burpee chins in remaining time

Got 7 burpee chins every round

5 mins ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 19 rounds

Notes

Went almost straight into the ABC’s after part 1. Lotta work done in about 40 minutes.

Running is getting a lot better quickly. Also, doing it early in the morning helps as it isn’t so hot out. Happy with the improvement on it though

3 Likes

W2D2 krypteia

Front squat
5x195,225,250, 5x5x195
Superset w/
Dips 9x10
Chins 9x10

Accumulate 15 Ab wheel while putting plates/equipment away

Notes

Not a great night of sleep last night, & this week has just been tiring in general. First week teaching middle school is tough. Nonetheless, happy with the effort today. I was a little late to start so I had a bit of a time crunch. Finished the lifting, immediately started Abs & clean up. Finished those & immediate hit the ABC’s. Not the best score but every single round was hard fought. Really pleased with the effort that went into it

3 Likes

Conditioning day

Might be doing a CrossFit competition in about a month if the schedule allows. The comp released an event- “JAG”. Normally the workout is done with kb clean & jerks, & the kettlebells are 70 lbs. Since I only have 45 lb kbs, I changed the jerks to presses. Don’t have an exact distance on how far I ran either, but here’s what I did

4 minute run (actual workout is 800m)
28 kb swings 45 lbs
28 strict pull-ups
28 kb clean & press 45 lbs
28 strict pull-ups
Repeat run from beginning

Finished at 18:55

Rest a few minutes then

Notes

Going in, I thought the swings would be the easiest part of the workout. But, I haven’t done them in so long. They wore grip out a decent bit, & going all the way overhead on them was tougher than expected. Also made the chins harder, so I had to break them into smaller sets. If I do this again before the comp, I’ll probably be changing/adding things- that way I’d be going full “train hard, compete easy.” Was good to get a feel for it today though

ABC rounds have been lower the last couple days. Definitely starting them earlier after the workout than I did last week, but wondering if I also am less recovered in general. I’d have to think so with how exhausted I’ve been all week. But the effort is there & I’m building “toughness” every day, so regardless of scores I’m getting the training effect that I want

1 Like

W2D3 Krypteia

Bench 5x165,190,210, 5x5x165
Superset w/
Chins 9x10
Band pull aparts 9x15

Superset
BTN press 4x10x95
Kb rows 4x10x45

5 mins ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 21 rounds

Notes

I continue to hit the ABC’s closer to finishing the lifting, but today I kept the amount of rounds up. Happy with that. The presses got tough after all the BTN, but we gutted through it. Went 8-4-3-3-3 on ABC’s

Top set of bench was slow. Moved solid, but was hoping to move the weight quicker for week 2

I’ve started scheming ideas for what to do next after this cycle, which is a good sign. Might stick with this phase of krypteia for another cycle or might jump right into something else. Not sure yet. BBB looks pretty likely, but how I do it/any twists on it are tbd

1 Like

Conditioning day

One heck of a day today. Buckle up

20 minute bike

Soon or after that start around 2 hours of lawn mowing/weed eating/yard work

Eat 3 eggs with turkey, ham, & cheese mixed in on a sandwich with keto bread

5 mins of ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 23 rounds

Notes

Went 9-4-3-2-2-2-1 on the ABC’s. Happy with the showing on those today after already doing a lot of work before.

I think today finishes two weeks of daily ABC’s. I hate it & it is awesome. It’s tough to quantifiably give results of it, as I’ve been losing weight (not intentionally but not fighting it either) so I’ve almost certainly gained no size from it. I guess my PR has gone up 1 round, but lots of other factors affect that like fatigue heading into it. But I’m certain it’s been good. My back feels way better than it did 2 weeks ago, my conditioning is better, & mainly I just feel tougher. It might be completely mental, but I really feel like I’ve “built some armor” by doing them. @T3hPwnisher definitely puts the benefits of it into words better than me, but count this as someone else vouching for the idea. Excited to steal more of the bad ideas…

Watching the crossfit games last weekend has me fired up to start a more aggressive training cycle. My conditioning has been improving a lot, and I know krypteia/FSL is good for now, but I’m getting excited to do BBB again. Thinking I’ll hop back on that once I’m sure I’ll be able to have my food/recovery lined up to hit it hard.

3 Likes

Conditioning day

Ran a little under 1.5 miles (11:45)

Change shoes then

5 mins ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 23 rounds

Notes

Went 10-3-3-3-2-2 on ABC’s. Seems like the formula for max rounds is a big opening set when possible

Calves are still adjusting to running. They fatigue quick on anything longer than a couple minutes

I think I may do Aaron Feld’s “fill the sleeves” challenge when I start gaining again. Is it probably a stupid idea? Almost certainly. Will it give me any benefit on the lifts? Not sure at all. Does it look fun & does it have the potential to blow my arms up? For sure. For those of you that don’t know-you basically do 100 reps of curls & tricep extensions everyday for 6 weeks. No other plan or progression to it. But big arms are awesome & adding that daily to the daily ABC’s could be a cool undertaking along with BBB. Have ideas floating around my brain on how to put it all together, will write them all down in here to think it through at some point

3 Likes

Krypteia W3D1

Press 5x130,150,165, 5x5x130
Superset w/
Chins 9x10
Band pull aparts 9x15

Superset
Incline bench 3x10x155
Db curls 3x15

5 min ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 21 rounds

Notes

Heaviest press day went well. Top set moved slow but still felt strong. Incline bench was the hardest it’s been for this whole cycle. The pressing before just took more out of me than usual. Was honestly surprised I could get 21 rounds on ABC’s after that. The kb press immediately felt harder than usual, but I just gutted through it. Had to go smaller sets to compensate, but it worked out fine

1 Like

Conditioning day

6 rounds for time
1 mile airdyne
~400m run

Finished at 26:45, held ~24mph on the AD & kept runs at or a little below 2 minutes

5 min ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 23 rounds

Notes

Today was good to show me where my conditioning is at. I held a pretty high work rate for around 27 minutes on part one, which is super solid. Then a good showing on ABC’s right after. Really pleased with where the conditioning is at, & glad that I’ll be really well prepared for higher volume soon

Also nice to see the ABC’s slowly ticking up. This is the third time in 4 days that I’ve gotten 23 rounds

1 Like

Krypteia W3D2

Front squat 5x205,235,260, 5x5x205
Superset w/
Dips 9x10
Chins 9x10

Ab wheel 5x3

5 min ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 17 rounds

Notes

Finished front squats & put myself on a 10 minute clock-5 to clean up & do Ab wheel, then 5 mins for ABC’s. Lowest amount of ABC’s I’ve gotten so far, but I was dieing before I even started. Effort was still there, so I’m not disappointed in it

Front squats were tough. My squatting ability has the biggest gap between “afternoon” & “morning” strength, but I’m sure it will eventually level out. Just gotta stick with it & trust the process

2 Likes