Traditional Elk’s training log

AM workout

Form running warm up

3x30m sprint

3x3 long skips per leg

15,10 single leg hops per side

Training partner & I have been videoing the Saturday sprints & timing them frame by frame. Hit 3.85 on my fastest 30 this week when timed from first foot hitting the ground. Happy with that, as two weeks ago I was at 4.00. Worked on a couple technique issues & it seems to have helped. Hoping to the this time down to under ~3.6 though, so a ways to go. But definitely a good start

Had baby duty this morning, but I snuck a resistance band inside & got in 100 curls & 100 push downs just to keep the routine of working out in the morning. Plan is to hit my real training session this afternoon though

PM workout

Vertical jump + seated vertical jump 4 sets
Two step approach vertical jump 3x2

Power clean 4x2x155

50 dips
50 chins
50 band pull aparts
50 back extension
2:00 plank
25 banded monster walk steps/side

Power cleans moved the best they have this block. Starting to feel decent on the movement again. Will start bumping up to bigger weights soon

AM workout

Press 5x95,105,120, 5x5x95
Band pull aparts 5x10

100 barbell curls
100 band push downs
50 back extension

Nothing special today, just some solid work. Recovery obviously is tougher with a baby now, but with the lower training volume I still feel like I’m making adaptations. Switching focus of my training has been fun too, & there is low hanging fruit in the athleticism stuff, so that’s cool

AM workout

Vertical jump 5x3
Form running warm up
Two leg pogo hops 3x15
Banded monster walk 2x24

Lots of rain this morning, so sprinting outside wasn’t much of an option due to getting no traction on the ground at all. Tried to make the best of what was possible, though this is definitely underwhelming on paper. Hopefully it had a bit of a training effect though. Squats tomorrow, bench on Friday, then hopefully a real sprint day on Saturday

AM workout

Squat 5x165,190,215, 5x5x165

60 drag curls
60 db lateral raise
50 band pull aparts
50 back extension

Back was a little tight today, but squats were fast & strong

Got in 50 back extension, 50 band pull aparts, & 2:00 plank this morning. Been a tough week with the baby so I was watching her this morning. Not much sleep but I was able to sneak this in. Gonna bench & do the rest of the workout this afternoon after school

PM workout

Bench 5x135,160,180, 5x5x135
100 chins
50 kb press w/45 lb kbs

Finished this in a little under 28 minutes this afternoon

PM workout

Form running warm up
3x30m sprint
3x3 long skips per side
2x10 single leg hops
1x20 two leg hops

Think I’ll be sticking to two leg hops for a while as opposed to single. Might add single in later when I’m more proficient, but for now I have way more power with two while still having room to grow. Fastest 30m was 3.85 again this week. Will hit hills sometime soon, & possibly add them to the rotation depending on how it goes

1 Like

AM workout

Seated vertical jumps 4x2

Power clean 2x2x155, 2x2x185

Dips 24, 1 min rest, 13

Weighted chins w/45 lb 2x10

50 back extension
50 band pull aparts

Training was the last thing I wanted to do this morning, but we made it happen. Jumps were not inspiring, as I felt like I was still asleep during them. But cleans moved well & 185 was no problem at all. 135 & 155 were feeling like a broom stick, & 185 was more challenging than those, but still super solid & a good speed. 2 big sets on dips & chins absolute wore out whatever energy I had left. No doubt my work capacity is declining, but it’s not the goal right now so I’m letting it slide

1 Like

AM workout

Press 5x100, 110, 125, 5x5x100
Band pull aparts 5x10

100 barbell curls
100 band push downs
50 back extensions

Solid, quick work today. Took a bit under 40 minutes, though I’m not pushing for time on these. Hoping to sprint tomorrow, we’ll see how the weather looks

AM workout

One step approach vertical jump 4x2
Form running drills
5x15m sprint
3x20 two leg pogo hops

Ankles & shins felt tight on the first few sprints, but feel like I hit my stride towards the end. Thinking I should definitely hit hills this weekend but will need to wait & see how it plays out.

AM workout

Squat 5x180,205,230, 5x5x180

50 band pull aparts
50 back extension
50 db lateral raises
90 curls of some sort

Bar speed wasn’t super fast, but weights still moved really solid. Was super tired this morning, so I guess it’s not too surprising to lack a bit of pop. Bench day tomorrow, then probably some hills Saturday

AM workout

Bench 5x145,170,190, 5x5x145
Band pull aparts 5x10

BTN press 3x12x95
Kb row 3x20x45

50 back extension

PM workout

Form running warm up
3x40 yard sprint
3x15 two leg pogo hops

Was on a turf field today as opposed to the track, & it started raining at the end so I just finished the sprints & didn’t skip/bound at all after. Was solo today so no video timing either. Kinda stinks to have the day go like this when it’s suppose to be my bigger speed day, but it is what it is. Thinking about going again tomorrow, we will see

AM workout

Seated vertical jumps 4x3

Power clean 1x2x155, 3x2x185

Incline bench 3x10x135
Neutral chins 3x10

50 band pull aparts
50 back extension

Decent day overall. Nothing felt too good or too bad. Glad to be closing out the training block this week, then test a few things next week & see the results of it all

AM workout

Press 5x105,120,135, 5x5x105
Banded external rotation 8x5

100 barbell curls
100 banded push downs
50 back extension
50 band pull aparts

My right shoulder has been bothering me when I lift it at certain angles, mostly rotating it externally. So I threw some band work in at the beginning to hopefully help that out a bit.

Presses moved well, & assistance was very solid. Got some more sprinting tomorrow, then just squat & bench day to close out this lifting cycle

AM workout

Form running warm up
Hill (or just slight incline) sprints 4x~20m
Skips for height 3x3 per side

Not a lot of total work, but this was a really good session. This was the best I’ve felt sprinting on a Wednesday morning. Just felt fast & powerful. Did the sprints on the closest thing to a hill that I have available close to where I live. Thinking I ought to do these at least every 2-3 weeks, if not on pretty much every Wednesday session. Really pleased with what I know was some big power output today

AM workout

Squat 5x190,215,240, 5x5x190

50 band pull aparts
50 back extension
100 barbell curls
100 band push downs

Squats moved really well today. I can tell my work capacity is way down due to how I’ve been training, as I was pretty worn out after everything this morning. But my goals right now have nothing to do with work capacity, so letting it slide is fine with me. Tomorrow is bench, which will close out this six week block of 5/3/1 FSL. I think after a deload I’m going to move to a 3x per week full body plan, with much lower volume. But I’ll start pushing the weights a bit higher. Hopefully this will bring strength numbers up, increase recovery, & help my sprinting as that’s really my main goal at this time

AM workout

Bench 5x160,180,200, 5x5x160
Banded external rotation 8x5

Weighted chins 1x13x45
Kb row immediately after chins 1x35x35

50 back extension
40 db lateral raises

A good end to the cycle, & the set of chins was really awesome today. Was short on time this morning, so I hit a big set of each assistance movement & pretty much moved on. So really pushing the chins for the first time in a while got me a nice PR. Legs were a bit stiff/tight this morning, but I’ll be ready to sprint tomorrow