Wrestling Questions

Hey guys I’m a Varsity 145 wrestler for my high school, and I was wondering if any of you could help me. I’ve searched around for these things but I still have a few unanswered questions.

First: I was naturally 150, but right when the season ended, in two weeks I was 160. Is this normal to gain so much weight, without even trying?

Secondly: I want to start working out 3 or so times a week, but I don’t have access to equipment. Once a week I can get a bench with dumbbells, but is there anything I can do in addition to push ups, sit ups, running, and pull ups on other days of the week?

I’m not new to lifting, I can bench 225, and I weigh 156, and I’ve been gifted with good genetics (to give you guys an idea of my physique).
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance

When you have access to weights for one day a week, do you have time to do more than bench?

If you do, I think deadlifts would give you some great back strength which would definitely improve your performance on the mat.

As for pushups and such without access to weights, you could put your feet up on the couch or somehow give them elevation to challenge you.

Time to start collecting odd objects anything big and heavy and carry them lift them throw them get creative get strong,. drag thenm flip them etc etc.

try and concentrate on BIG heavy stuff then yous skills work, throw in the body weight stuff your golden,. only limited by your imagination

Oh maybe a gym membership as well

Phill

LCCHSathlete, I have enough time, the weights is just my friends house so I can start doing dead lifts. I’ve never done them before, but I found the post about the right and wrong way to do it.

But how much weight should I be increases every set? Sorry for asking but if I didn’t I’d never know…and this isn’t something I want to guess on

And Phill, I’m inquiring about a trainer that specializes in training teenage athletes. I just think there’s no point in waiting for that and I should start right now.

Anyone that can shed some light on my situation is extremely appreciated

get a big tire, a sledgehammer, a keg, a sandbag, and a rope

First: I was naturally 150, but right when the season ended, in two weeks I was 160. Is this normal to gain so much weight, without even trying?

I used to call that “fat and happy” after the season was over, not having to maintain weight. I used to go from 190 to 210 in no time. Just eat clean and work hard, it will be good weight.

I’ll see about these things, EG. btw, does your name have anything to do with Eau Gallie?

And thanks 37hits, I didn’t know about it being healthy or not. But I eat very well, no soda or junk food, or candy, no soy. I eat a lot of fruit, nuts, meat, and some bread/cereal for the most part
I’m so glad I found out about eating right this early in my life

[quote]Chris82362 wrote:
LCCHSathlete, I have enough time, the weights is just my friends house so I can start doing dead lifts. I’ve never done them before, but I found the post about the right and wrong way to do it.

But how much weight should I be increases every set? Sorry for asking but if I didn’t I’d never know…and this isn’t something I want to guess on

And Phill, I’m inquiring about a trainer that specializes in training teenage athletes. I just think there’s no point in waiting for that and I should start right now.

Anyone that can shed some light on my situation is extremely appreciated[/quote]

Well, I definitely wouldn’t call myself an expert or anything near it because I have only been lifting for about 1 yr. and deadlifting for about 2 months. But, for deadlifting, you should start relatively light to master the form.

What I am using when deadlifting is a 4x6 setup so that the last rep of the last set is really hard to finish. But, pretty much anything will give you great gains if you have never done it before.

Also, there are literally hundreds of articles on here about deadlifting and they all have great info. So, my best advice would be to start reading and then go out and lift with the right form.