Wrestling Prep

So I’m a wrestling coach at the high school I teach at. I decided to keep a log to see what I do, how I do it and what anyone has to say about what I do. I’m using a plan that my brother (who is a trainer) developed.

ME Lower

Back Squats

95 x 10
135 x 5
165 x 5
180 x 5
200 x 5
235 x 5
265 x 2

Form wasn’t as good on the last set, max is 65 pounds higher than when I worked out regularly in high school about 9 years ago.

Bulgarian Split Squats

30 x 12
30 x 12
35 x 12
35 x 12

This was my 2nd time doing this exercise, felt better this time, used my leg more than the back unlike the first time.

DB Sumo Squat

20 x 12
15 x 12
15 x 12

The weight felt a little light but I was feeling it more in my back at that point then the glutes and hamstring. Only on the last set did I really feel it in the hamstring.

Sit-Ups

20 reps x 3 sets

1st set was easy, 2nd set got through the first 15 no problem, worked on the last 20, on the last set it was work after the first 10

Played an hour of basketball after. Good workout overall.

Feel free to comment, any advice is appreciated.

[quote]flfenway wrote:
So I’m a wrestling coach at the high school I teach at. I decided to keep a log to see what I do, how I do it and what anyone has to say about what I do. I’m using a plan that my brother (who is a trainer) developed.
[/quote]

I’m the brother, and just to clarify it’s just a tweaked ws4sb program. I wish I could take all the credit for it but nope, DeFranco’s the man.

Good to see you posting here bro, it’ll be easier to keep tabs on you from NY. Nice avatar too, except Manny’s dodger blue and white now, but that’s a different forum…

Good to see you going for it, good luck!

edit: actually read the workout, oops, you can go heavier on those db sumo squats bro. Remember it shouldn’t be too easy, I think Bartl on this forum said it best, pick a weight you can do for 8 reps, then get 10.

[quote]scubasteve2105 wrote:
Remember it shouldn’t be too easy, I think Bartl on this forum said it best, pick a weight you can do for 8 reps, then get 10.
[/quote]

That’s good advice, used it today, thanks.

Today was ME Upper, my training partner had to work so I flew solo.

Bench : 95 x 10
110 x 10
135 x 5
150 x 5
165 x 5

I don’t think this is 80% of my 1RM, it was some work though because the guy working in with me was rushing me.

DB Incline: 45 x 10
45 x 10
55 x 10

This was good, again I need to get in the habit of upping the weight, although the last 2 reps I had all to do to finish them. One question, on the DB bench should I expect to be able to move more weight?

Chest Supported Row: 30 x 12
40 x 12
50 x 12
60 x 12

Again, something in hindsight I could have upped the weight on, the 1st set was entirely too easy.

Rear Delt Flys : 15 x 10
15 x 10
15 x 10
15 x 10

Yea, this was emasculating. I could barely get 35s up, switched to 15s. Maybe it was because I never did this exercise before, who knows. But I think this means I have weak rear delts.

DB Trap Shrugs: 35 x 10
45 x 10
65 x 10

Actually wanted to move to 55s but couldn’t find them. Next time I’ll probably start on 55s, was pleasantly surprised at how well I did the 65s.

BB Curls: 30 x 10
30 x 10
30 x 10

Would have liked to move up to 40 or 50 even, couldn’t find the bars as they were being used. Really felt it though and the weight provided enough resistance.

Light basketball after, but made more 3 pt shots than ever, I guess ballin’ after lifting is a key to success!

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

[quote]flfenway wrote:
scubasteve2105 wrote:
Remember it shouldn’t be too easy, I think Bartl on this forum said it best, pick a weight you can do for 8 reps, then get 10.

That’s good advice, used it today, thanks.

Today was ME Upper, my training partner had to work so I flew solo.

Bench : 95 x 10
110 x 10
135 x 5
150 x 5
165 x 5

I don’t think this is 80% of my 1RM, it was some work though because the guy working in with me was rushing me.

DB Incline: 45 x 10
45 x 10
55 x 10

This was good, again I need to get in the habit of upping the weight, although the last 2 reps I had all to do to finish them. One question, on the DB bench should I expect to be able to move more weight?

Chest Supported Row: 30 x 12
40 x 12
50 x 12
60 x 12

Again, something in hindsight I could have upped the weight on, the 1st set was entirely too easy.

Rear Delt Flys : 15 x 10
15 x 10
15 x 10
15 x 10

Yea, this was emasculating. I could barely get 35s up, switched to 15s. Maybe it was because I never did this exercise before, who knows. But I think this means I have weak rear delts.

DB Trap Shrugs: 35 x 10
45 x 10
65 x 10

Actually wanted to move to 55s but couldn’t find them. Next time I’ll probably start on 55s, was pleasantly surprised at how well I did the 65s.

BB Curls: 30 x 10
30 x 10
30 x 10

Would have liked to move up to 40 or 50 even, couldn’t find the bars as they were being used. Really felt it though and the weight provided enough resistance.

Light basketball after, but made more 3 pt shots than ever, I guess ballin’ after lifting is a key to success!

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.[/quote]

quick pointers bro-ski - if a weight feels really light consider it a warm up and not a working set. Also, try and use static weight for each exercise except for the ME exercises. ME builds strength, RE (repeated effort) builds strength endurance and hypertrophy. Third, rear delts usually aren’t very strong and highly neglected by the average human being, my best while strict and lying on a bench is 35’s for about 8-10, and standing bent over I’ve done 55’s for 8 w/ a little body english. Oh and as for DB Benching being hard, you’re CNS just hasn’t adjusted to it yet, once you learn to stabilize them it will be easier. Comes with repetition.

And don’t be fooled people, he’s always been an outside shooter. He couldn’t run around me, but I was short and he could shoot over me for days.

Nice work bro, keep it up!!!

quick pointers bro-ski - if a weight feels really light consider it a warm up and not a working set. Also, try and use static weight for each exercise except for the ME exercises. ME builds strength, RE (repeated effort) builds strength endurance and hypertrophy. Third, rear delts usually aren’t very strong and highly neglected by the average human being, my best while strict and lying on a bench is 35’s for about 8-10, and standing bent over I’ve done 55’s for 8 w/ a little body english. Oh and as for DB Benching being hard, you’re CNS just hasn’t adjusted to it yet, once you learn to stabilize them it will be easier. Comes with repetition.

And don’t be fooled people, he’s always been an outside shooter. He couldn’t run around me, but I was short and he could shoot over me for days.

Nice work bro, keep it up!!!

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice dude. Just a point of clarification, I don’t think you ever beat me at basketball. I developed my outside shot because I got bored dunking on you.

CNS = Central Nervous System?

Took the day off today, it was supposed to be a DE Lower but my legs are still going through soreness. It’s all muscular though, I was worried that I may have hurt my knee because as I squatted I felt it in my knee a little. Fortunately the knee has been great, just sore quads, hamstrings and glutes.

Went shopping today, bought blueberries, bananas among other things, trying to stay committed to eating more protein less carbs. Also drinking more water, finding that besides being good for you (as good as West Palm water can be) I get it for the best price. Overall been feeling really good since I made the diet transition. Don’t have the perfect diet yet, but eating better and that’s been making a difference in the gym.

yes CNS = central nervous system

Glad to see you’re working on the diet, it’s a huge part of the whole training thing. Progress in the gym is only made if proper recovery is done outside of the gym (rest and nutrition). What’s your workout schedule??? Right now you should only be lifting 4 times a week, with at least 72 hours btwn ME and DE workouts, so if you trained sunday ME-Lower, you shouldn’t be doing DE Lower till Wednesday the earliest.

If you can find a way to video your squats I will review your form to make sure you’re doing them right. Sounds to me like you’re not pushing your hips back and are breaking at the knees first. Squats always start with a backwards motion at the hips. Could be your hip flexors are too tight. Use the search function on this site to find articles/posts on hip mobility…

Right now you should only be lifting 4 times a week, with at least 72 hours btwn ME and DE workouts, so if you trained sunday ME-Lower, you shouldn’t be doing DE Lower till Wednesday the earliest.

If you can find a way to video your squats I will review your form to make sure you’re doing them right.

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, next time I squat with my partner I’ll get him to video it.

DE Lower

Followed the advice, it was 72 hours between ME and DE lower.

Speed Squat:

120 x 8 sets x 3 reps

Good explosiveness although I’m sure I didn’t get any sets done under 3 seconds. Concentrated more on form and exploding properly. Also made sure to pop the hips out first, widened my stance a little and felt nothing at all in the knee. Also think I would have been a little more explosive except the quads still have some soreness.

Calf Raises

215 x 3 x 10

No boxes to do the jump training at the gym, will need to improvise here somewhat, suggestions are appreciated. Did calf raises because I figure the calves help one jump.

Step Up

15 x 3 x 10

The balance is an issue on this, but the extended ROM I can definitely feel.

Romanian Deadlift

35 x 3 x 10

I feel like I may have done this wrong as I felt it more in the back than the hips. Tried to concentrate on making it a hip movement.

DB Side Bends

35 x 3 x 15

Wasn’t easy getting in all 15 on each set. Thought it went well though.

30 mins on the bike.

Did the hill course, actually felt like the bike alleviated some of the soreness.

Going to take it easy tonight, got plans tomorrow, hopefully I can get some work in early but glad I got it in today.

Took a couple days off, had some plans Thursday and Friday was a relaxation day. Back to work on Monday though.

DE Upper

Bench Press: (Tested Max)

95 x 10
120 x 10
135 x 5
165 x 5
180 x 4
200 x 3
220 x 1

About 40 pounds higher than the last time I tested my max which was in high school. I wobbled a little as the weights would get higher though.

Lat Pulldown:

105 x 10
105 x 10
120 x 10
135 x 8

My partner upped the weight without me knowing how much he put there. Glad he did. Next time I should be able to do 120 for 4 sets.

DB Shoulder Press:

50 x 10
50 x 10
50 x 8
50 x 5

Don’t know what happened here. The first set was work, but it seemed well enough. Second set again was tough, but got done. Couldn’t for the life of me get the dumbbells up for all 10 reps on the last 2 sets. Very Frustrating.

Seated Dips

110 x 10
110 x 10
110 x 10

Easy first set, difficult second set, gutted out the third set. I think with the upper body I have some serious muscular endurance issues.

Skull Crushers

40 x 10
40 x 10
40 x 10

This went well. Each set was a work set, and I felt my body adjusting well to the weight. The last set was especially tough but got all the reps in.

Plate Pinches

25 x 12
25 x 12
25 x 12
25 x 12

The weight was a little light, but 45’s are too heavy and there are no 35’s at the gym. Tried to focus on doing it right.

Played basketball after. Not as good of a day there, I think the shooting was off because of the upper work.

As always, suggestions are really appreciated, very helpful posting so far.

Back at the lower body today.

ME Lower

Squat:

95 x 10
135 x 5
180 x 5
200 x 5
215 x 5

Went well, the last 2 sets were brutal but executed both of them.

Bulgarian Split Squat:

35 x 4 x 10

The RE workout here was effective, definitely was work sets the last two sets.

DB Sumo Squat:

25 x 3 x 10

I still feel this exercise mostly in my lower back and not as much in the glutes and hams. Tried to focus more on initializing the movement from the glutes and hams.

Sit ups

3 x 20

This is the exercise where I really felt improvement. The last time I did it the last set was very hard and didn’t get them all as nicely as I would have liked. This time I knocked out all 3 sets.

Basketball after, good workout overall.

Starting the job again tomorrow, will try to get the work in each day.

Interesting work out day today. I was put to work at school doing all sorts of manual labor, but that’s a story for another day.

ME Upper

Bench:

95 x 10
135 x 5
150 x 5
165 x 5
180 x 5

Last rep on the last set wasn’t as good as I wanted, the movement wasn’t good at all.

DB Incline:

45 x 3 x 10

Increasing the weight to 50 or 55 next time. These were good work sets.

Chest Supported Row:

50 x 4 x 10

Increasing the weight next time, this was good, tough work again.

Rear Delt Flys:

15 x 4 x 10

These suck. I feel incredibly weak doing them. Just sucks all around.

DB Trap Shrugs

65 x 3 x 10

2nd and 3rd sets the exercise felt proper, increasing the weight next time.

Barbell Curls

50 x 3 x 12

Increasing the weight again next time, felt this more in my forearm than the bicep. Then I was done working out, and felt it in my biceps.

No time for cardio after, had an HOA meeting.

Back at work today after a few days off, last day of freedom, kids are back in school tomorrow.

DE Upper

Speed Bench:

95 x 5 x 8

3 reps seemed too little plus I didn’t have a partner to time me so I decided just to do 5 reps on each set as quickly as possible.

Lat Pulldown:

120 x 3 x 10

3rd set was work, but it feels like the muscular endurance is picking up.

DB Shoulder Press:

40 x 3 x 10

I should have gone with 45s, but the 40’s were work enough.

Seated Dips:

140 x 3 x 10

This was hard work, the last two sets was all I could do to finish.

Skull Crushers:

40 x 3 x 10

I should have used a 45 instead of a 40, but again, this was 3 work sets.

Plate Pinches:

45 x 4 x 12

In my moment of affirmation the 45 felt really good, excellent way to finish.

20 mins on the bike, just was feeling worn out today. Probably because I left the water at home.

As always advice will be appreciated. Teaching 9th grade this year, hopefully the positive results from the workouts will continue in spite of my increase in drinking due to those bastards!

Finally went last night after almost 2 weeks away. Difference in adjusting to school schedule is tough, along with a more active life than I anticipated.

ME Upper

Bench:

95 x 10
135 x 5
150 x 5
165 x 5
180 x 5

I worried with the time off that I would lose some strength but actually on the last set I was very happy with how efficiently I moved the weight. It can and will get better though.

DB Incline:

55 x 3 x 10

I believe the last time I did this that I used 45s. Went to the theory of think I can do 8, get 10. The last set was tough but was actually quite happy again with how I moved the weight.

Seated Cable Row:

90 x 3 x 10

Next time I’m going to up the weight, it was a little light but it was a challenging exercise. Biggest issue I had was keeping my wrists in the same position, hard to resist the urge to rotate them.

DB Rear Delt Flys:

15 x 3 x 10

Again, still feel like a candy ass when doing this exercise, but the good part was I felt like I did the exercise correctly.

DB Trap Shrugs:

75 x 3 x 10

Didn’t feel like I got the weight up as far as it should go, but I find that when the weight is a little light that I tend to use the arms more than the shrug. Today I feel a bit sore in the traps, so I feel like it was correctly targeted.

DB Curls:

30 x 3 x 10

Want to feel week? Use heavy db’s for most other db exercises and then on curls use 30’s. This was a think I could get 8 but get 10. Very hard, used a little body english but felt it both in my lower bicep and upper forearm. Does that mean I’m not doing the exercise right?

All feedback is appreciated, feel free to tell me how week I am or how I’m a loser for not going for 2 weeks. Should be posting again tonight though.

GO AWAY IKE! FLORIDA DOESN’T NEED YOU!

ME Upper

Bench:

95 x 10
135 x 5
150 x 5
165 x 5
180 x 5

Better tonight, feels like I’m getting stronger

DB Incline:

60 x 3 x 10

Think I could get 8, got 10 on the last set, wanted to pound my chest after but refrained.

Seated Cable Row:

110 x 3 x 10

See above.

Rear Delt Flys:

20 x 3 x 10

Very hard 3 sets, but nailed all of them.

DB Traps:

75 x 3 x 10

Felt good, hard, was a good workout.

BB Curls:

50 x 3 x 10

Another personal best, next time I’m upping it to 60.

As always, comments are appreciated. Even from Scuba.

So I hit the gym today with renewed vigor. I was in a bad mood due to circumstances involving females and how they’re insane, so I put on the iPod, went to the hip-hop only genre and had a great workout.

DE Lower

Speed Squat:

120 x 3 x 8

Doubt I hit the 3 second mark, but I didn’t have a partner so it’s hard to keep time.

Rotary Calf:

230 x 3 x 10

Felt like working them out today, this was a good challenge.

Step Up:

20 x 3 x 10

My balance is still off on this exercise, it’s getting better but I have no clue how to balance myself so I don’t bust my ass.

DB RDL:

45 x 3 x 10

Learned that the lower I go the more I feel it in the glutes and hams. Went as low as I could without breaking the knees.

BB Russian Twist:

10 x 3 x 10

Next time I’m going to add more weight. The hardest thing was keeping my head straight and the barbell inside the plate anchoring it on the bottom. Definitely felt it though. I really like this exercise, way more than side bends.

Cabata on life cycle.

Maybe because the life cycle sucks I didn’t get the full effect. Was expecting puke city but nothing was remotely close to it.

I like the I wanted to pound my chest stuff, nice work bro. For reference it’s Tabata, not Cabata, and use the search function here on the site and I’m sure some stuff will come up. RDL’s your knees should bend as you push your butt out, look up Romanian Deadlift and you should find some help there too.

Looking good bro! Trying to work out how I’m going to get down there w/in the next month, might be moving out of the 'rents oct 1st. Sweet deal, long story, but I’ll be in touch.

Haven’t posted in a while, doesn’t mean I haven’t been working out, just not with the frequency I’d like. Worked out with the wrestlers a few times. Changed a few exercises around.

Incline Bench:

Tested Max

95 x 10
135 x 5
155 x 5
170 x 5
180 x 5
195 x 5
210 x 5
225 x 4
240 x 1

Last time I tested my max on this was late July/early August. My technique has improved along with my strength, obviously. The last one was damn hard. Still a jump from 180 to 240 as a 1RM should be celebrated.

DB Bench:

65 x 3 x 10

Challenging, but nailed all 3 sets.

Seated Cable Row:

110 x 3 x 10

Last week I’m doing this exercise, next week I’m doing 2 arm DB Rows, feels like I’m spinning my wheels with this.

Face Pulls:

55 x 3 x 10

Awkward movement, used the lat pulldown machine. Next time adding a lot more weight as the movement became more familiar.

Trap Machine Shrugs:

180 x 3 x 10

Hard to get used to this thing, but was challenged on this, next time adding more weight.

DB Curls:

25 x 3 x 10

Feel like a girl when I do these. Not really feeling it in the bicep as much as I feel it in the upper forearm. Having trouble finding an exercise where I feel it in the bicep instead of the upper forearm.

Going to try and post more frequently, need to put a reminder in my phone maybe. . . . .