T Nation

Wrestling: Off-Season

Hey guys I’m new to the site, but I got recommended by a friend and well as the name implies, I wrestle I’m 14 a freshman in high school and my record in JV matches is 25-2 and in varsity 7-1, My one varsity loss was at a tournament this weekend where I wrestled in the 145 weight class and got my ass beat by a gorilla who was twice as strong as me, point is I don’t want that happening again and this summer I wanna get into the gym, could you guys make a program for me weightlifting, bodyweight, I can get my hands on all kinds of equipment thanks for all your help guys.

Try DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards II as a starting point. Also, be sure to read everything you can by Zach Even-Esh, who has trained national champions.

That’s an impressive number of wins to have, let alone that number of matches. Do you have State qualifiers coming up soon?

Hey if it is the off-season I totally agree about the westside for skinny bastards, but use the first one in the off-season you won’t need to do all the running, leave that until the season gets closer. But I completely agree with Kombat, read all of the “ask joes” at defrancostraining.com, and check out elitefts.com to, the articles and Q&A are amazing! good luck.

yeah we’ve had 5 tournaments so far and we have a last one coming up this weekend, all my varsity wins have come from tournaments, but tomorrow and friday we have meets and I plan on getting two more wins, and actually at this point I don’t even qualify for states because of my 145 loss, but I’m deffinately wrestling at divisonals and possibly sectionals, thanks for the sites guys I like the material they have

[quote]wrestler48 wrote:
yeah we’ve had 5 tournaments so far and we have a last one coming up this weekend, all my varsity wins have come from tournaments, but tomorrow and friday we have meets and I plan on getting two more wins, and actually at this point I don’t even qualify for states because of my 145 loss, but I’m deffinately wrestling at divisonals and possibly sectionals, thanks for the sites guys I like the material they have[/quote]

How do you qualify for States if not by winning sectionals? Where are you from?

do lots of cardio for the endurance and really work your legs and back. the legs and back are the most important wrestling muscles when you consider all the take downs, escapes and grappling.

this worked for me:

day 1:
sprints. mix it up. do 40’s, 100’s, 400’s and even include 800’s as sprints. as you get tired, push harder. “balls to the wall” as i’m sure you’ve heard in the mat room thousands of times.

at first this will seem impossible, but as your body adapts it will work. hit the legs and back in the weight room.

squats: 4 or 5 sets of 12.

chin ups: as many as you can do each time.

leg press: 4 or 5 sets of 12

bent over barbell rows: 4 or 5 sets of 12

dumbell lunges: 4-5 sets of 12

lat pulls: 4-5 sets of 12

trunk extensions: 4-5 sets of 12, use weight plates if it is too easy

day: 2

repeat sprints

for weights:

bench press: 4-5 of 12

incline bp: 4-5 of 12

pec deck: 4-5 of 12

pushups: as many as you can, increase every time

db shoulder press: 4-5 of 12

braincrushers: 4-5 of 12

lateral raises: 4-5 of 12

day 3:
run six miles. no weights

day 4:
sprints again

clean and jerk: 4-5 of 12

rows: 4-5 of 12

deadlift: 4-5 of 12

farmers walk

day 5:

repeat day 2

day 6:

run six miles, no lifting

day 7:

repeat day 1

EAT!!! otherwise you might literally kill yourself. wrestlers always seem to want to starve themselves, which is stupid. the point in being light is to be as stong as possible in your weight class. if you are primarily made up of lean mass, you’ll be fine. be healthy when you make your scratch weight. the only time it is beneficial to cut weight is after you have made your scratch for the season and you are over a day or two before a meet.

being annorexic does you no good in the short or long run. you starve your body of energy, of nutrients and really screw your metabolism up for later.

just eat lots of lean protiens, keep carb consumption to early in the day and make them complex carbs, eat plenty of veggies and watch the junk.

[quote]texasguy wrote:

EAT!!! otherwise you might literally kill yourself. wrestlers always seem to want to starve themselves, which is stupid. the point in being light is to be as stong as possible in your weight class. if you are primarily made up of lean mass, you’ll be fine. be healthy when you make your scratch weight. the only time it is beneficial to cut weight is after you have made your scratch for the season and you are over a day or two before a meet.

being annorexic does you no good in the short or long run. you starve your body of energy, of nutrients and really screw your metabolism up for later.

just eat lots of lean protiens, keep carb consumption to early in the day and make them complex carbs, eat plenty of veggies and watch the junk.

[/quote]

I completely agree with this part, and i learned the hard way. was great in high school, but when i had to drop a couple classes in college i could never quite have the same energy and explosion because i was nutritionally dumb.

my suggestion is to make power cleans a priority. best of luck to ya.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
wrestler48 wrote:
yeah we’ve had 5 tournaments so far and we have a last one coming up this weekend, all my varsity wins have come from tournaments, but tomorrow and friday we have meets and I plan on getting two more wins, and actually at this point I don’t even qualify for states because of my 145 loss, but I’m deffinately wrestling at divisonals and possibly sectionals, thanks for the sites guys I like the material they have

How do you qualify for States if not by winning sectionals? Where are you from?[/quote]

Well I wrestler for carmel in new york and yesterday we became the section 1 undefeated champs by defeating arlington, the thing is the tournament I lost is a big one called the super 16 and it is one of the main criteria for entering states unless this year they decide to do wildcards then I might have a chance to show at states

For the off-season, focus on getting as big and strong as you can while making sure you still stay sharp with your skills

for yur workout, I’d suggest the Bill Starr 5x5

[quote]wrestler48 wrote:
Hey guys I’m new to the site, but I got recommended by a friend and well as the name implies, I wrestle I’m 14 a freshman in high school and my record in JV matches is 25-2 and in varsity 7-1, My one varsity loss was at a tournament this weekend where I wrestled in the 145 weight class and got my ass beat by a gorilla who was twice as strong as me, point is I don’t want that happening again and this summer I wanna get into the gym, could you guys make a program for me weightlifting, bodyweight, I can get my hands on all kinds of equipment thanks for all your help guys.[/quote]

I don’t think anyone has asked the mostimportant question: do you want to move up a weight class or stay in the same? I know that the 145-153 weight classes and jammed packed with people and are possibly the hardest to compete in.

I know I wrestled in the 153 for 3yrs in high school. The best lift to do though is deadlift. You get strong there you will be able to do takedowns so much easier.

In the off season are you wrestling either free-style, folkstyle,or greko(sp?)-roman? I also did freestyle in the off-season because it will get you stronger and keep you in shape. I say it will get you stronger because you practice flipping people (just team up with someone heavier than you).

As a coach, the best things you can do for wrestling in the off-season IMO are:

Pullups/chins. Get to the point where you can do them one-handed, using a towel, and those sorts of tough variations.

Sled dragging

Sandbag work - carries, OH presses, and the like, all gripping with the hands, never the body.

Add those into a regular workout routine that includes a good amount of squats and deadlifts, and I can essentially guarantee you that when you get your hands on someone, they won’t be able to get away.

all irght guys one final question I have chosen to take westside for skinny bastards as my program with an extra leg rep day and on saturdays a chin-up/pull-up training day for pulling strength, through this program how big will I get muscle-wise not weight wise

[quote]wrestler48 wrote:
all irght guys one final question I have chosen to take westside for skinny bastards as my program with an extra leg rep day and on saturdays a chin-up/pull-up training day for pulling strength, through this program how big will I get muscle-wise not weight wise[/quote]

You will get as big as your eating allows.

This program will be hard on your CNS if you’re not used to it…I don’t know about adding chin and pull up training on Saturday until you’re used to the routine of ME and RE days.

all right so I think instead of the pull-up day I may add a sled-dragging day on friday and use the weekend as a break for recovery and I’m really looking to get bigger muscle-wise and weight-wise because we need some of the heavier weights to have experience in them

You are the biggest bullshitter on the planet. I’m wrestling at the high school level right now, and I can tell you that you have an impossible number of matches. The varsity numbers aren’t only unrealistic but so are the JV. And you say you’ve only had five tournaments… well then id say that according to the high school conduct rules the max # of matches you could have had would be 25, and thats not accounting forfeits.

You wrestled on JV as well huh, well then that tells me you weren’t a wrestler at the meets so you had to be either not good enough or… yea you werent good enough. Yet you still have a ridiculous amount of wins. Any wrestler with that number of wins does not wrestle JV at all. You are a fucking bullshitter does it make you feel powerful or somethin to post numbers like these on the internet.

Meh, you said your varsity wins came from tournaments…then you said your 7-1 varsity, this would mean you won every tournament (said you had 5 of them) but one and you only wrestled once each tournament?? Oh and only your county/sectional tournament in NY deteremines if you go to states nothing prior to that. Unless you plan on getting a wildcard which you cant because your only able to recieve one if you placed at states the year before.

[quote]yanksta wrote:
You are the biggest bullshitter on the planet. I’m wrestling at the high school level right now, and I can tell you that you have an impossible number of matches. The varsity numbers aren’t only unrealistic but so are the JV. And you say you’ve only had five tournaments… well then id say that according to the high school conduct rules the max # of matches you could have had would be 25, and thats not accounting forfeits.

You wrestled on JV as well huh, well then that tells me you weren’t a wrestler at the meets so you had to be either not good enough or… yea you werent good enough. Yet you still have a ridiculous amount of wins. Any wrestler with that number of wins does not wrestle JV at all. You are a fucking bullshitter does it make you feel powerful or somethin to post numbers like these on the internet.[/quote]

bro my first 12 jv matches were the first three tournaments of jv before the varsity season started another 7 came from the time I lost and I had to go into wrestlebacks now keep count thats 19-1 JV record this year we had 12 dual meets, one of these meets was against the cornwall dragons in a tournament varsity and JV wrestled in different categories 5 more wins there at this point it is 24-1 and my final JV win against RC ketcham dual meet, then Rob Grella the varsity 140 goest to shit and messes up his grades failing three subjects then I go in the dual meet against arlington I win that match against tim Stabell 5-4, that friday we wrestle john jay east fishkill I beat the kid 3-1 next weekend is beacon bulldogs invitational i beat the 5 kids on my side of the bracket the last win coming from an extra period first take down wins and then super 16 where I get murdered by Scott Genovesi of John Jay Cross River,and after this past two weekends my record stands at 10-4, and the tournaments I wrestled where eric d’agnese somers memorial and carmel divisionals, and no I didn’t place so I’m not qualified for sections and I lost to Joe rodriguez of North Rockland 13-2

Alright yea i misread the original post. I wrestle hear in wisconsin and i guess our season is much shorter than yours. Guess I was just talking shit out of my ass eh. Sorry about that man those are some respectable numbers. As far as the westside program goes… yea it goes… probably the best designed for wrestling too… Ive been lookin over it and im thinkin ill try it out after my current program is done… so good luck with that man

man don’t even worry about it but to be honest 140 isnt the strongest weight class in our division so I kinda cut a break in my first season as half varsity half JV, but you think I could do most of the program in a commercial gym like gold’s or should I look for another gym cause I don’t recognize some of the lifts and I’m prolly going to try to get them offline

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
your only able to recieve one if you placed at states the year before.[/quote]

There are kids from my section that have never even won sectionals but are going to States.