T Nation

Wrestling Muscles and Workouts?

i think most of this is obvious
lots of arms, specifically:
forearms-for grip (HUGE)
biceps-for grappling (HUGE)
triceps-for forced techniques and defense
shoulders-…come on! (HUUUGE)
back-yeah, but specifically which parts
i mean none can be underestimated but
could u stress one muscle specifically
like say the rhomboids (HUUUUUUGE)
chest-underestimated, but upper and lower developement is key to a full body syncronization, mostly just to help shoulders and triceps

i don’t train legs so maybe u could give me some workouts that actually simulate a wrestlers movements, since:
the lifting lifestyle isn’t effective unless u simulate the movements
like i suppose a lunge would be superb to simulate the shot
maybe a lunge and a pulley behind u to simulate the movements and resistance

anyone that wrestles and thinks they’ve developed some good workouts for it please feel free to jump in
oh and if u have some links to sites that teach good techniques even if they’re basic it’s always good to freshen up on the stuff u "THINK"u know

of course wrestling is mostly about endurance so i think it goes without saying, train with minimal weigh little rest and high repetitions all together if possible

[quote]caselorance wrote:
<<<
the lifting lifestyle isn’t effective unless [quote]u simulate the movements

[/quote]

I am certainly no expert on training wrestlers, but since the above statement would pretty much dictate everything else you do if followed, lemme just say that it is a vast oversimplification on any level where there may be truth to it and flatly wrong on any other level.

In other words, sports specific training that incorporates exercises that approximate the sport being trained for is useful. However, the belief that anything that doesn’t isn’t effective is a mistake that will limit your options and ultimately the reaching of your sports specific goals.

I have a feeling I may be sorry for this post.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
caselorance wrote:
<<<
the lifting lifestyle isn’t effective unless u simulate the movements

I am certainly no expert on training wrestlers, but since the above statement would pretty much dictate everything else you do if followed lemme just say that it is a vast oversimplification on any level where there may be truth to it and flatly wrong on any other level.

In other words, sports specific training that incorporates exercises that approximate the sport being trained for is useful. However, the belief that anything that doesn’t isn’t effective is a mistake that will limit your options and ultimate the reaching of your sports specific goals.

I have a feeling I may be sorry for this post.[/quote]

My brother in law trains wrestlers in the Chicagoland area. I’m going to copy/paste this and email to him for his feedback.

Wrestling muscles… Huh ?! If you don’t wrestle with your whole body you’re in trouble. The most important muscles in wrestling are in the posterior chain even though everything is important.

Then you don’t need to “simulate”, lifting weight (especially for legs) using squats, DL’s, power cleans, GHR, unilateral lower work, chins will do the trick, then use it all on the mat. I remember seeing a template used by Coach Defranco for his wrestler that focused on ME pulling for upper body, it looked good.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
caselorance wrote:
<<<
the lifting lifestyle isn’t effective unless u simulate the movements

I am certainly no expert on training wrestlers, but since the above statement would pretty much dictate everything else you do if followed lemme just say that it is a vast oversimplification on any level where there may be truth to it and flatly wrong on any other level.

In other words, sports specific training that incorporates exercises that approximate the sport being trained for is useful. However, the belief that anything that doesn’t isn’t effective is a mistake that will limit your options and ultimate the reaching of your sports specific goals.

I have a feeling I may be sorry for this post.[/quote]

yeah it’s all well and good to train them but to build them would be… redundant and possibly hindering
since a wrestler must consider what he’s working against it wouldn’t be necessary to say
work on squating much weight but simply doing ur weight class in weigh repetively and work on explosive power
squats would be an excellent workout though
deadlifts as well but again explosive and relatively low weigh for these body mass effective workouts, problem is for deadlifts exlosive power and form don’t seem to mesh well or it would be equivelantly harder and would probably require you to drop the weigh substantially, maybe low weigh explosive, and just a very slow negative
and i said inneffective more so b/c i read that on an athletic training forum in the past
it said something like
“sure doing shoulder flys and tricep extensions would be great to increase your shotput, but doing effective simulation workouts that triggered exact muscle fibers would be even more complimentary”
what i got out of that is if i’m going to shoot i should probably integrate a stepping motion into my workouts
so maybe a squat with my legs in a lunge stance
but that’s why i’m asking u guys too
thanks for the input
i’m going to try and pull together a leg workout actually

[quote]PHGN wrote:
Wrestling muscles… Huh ?! If you don’t wrestle with your whole body you’re in trouble. The most important muscles in wrestling are in the posterior chain even though everything is important.

Then you don’t need to “simulate”, lifting weight (especially for legs) using squats, DL’s, power cleans, GHR, unilateral lower work, chins will do the trick, then use it all on the mat. I remember seeing a template used by Coach Defranco for his wrestler that focused on ME pulling for upper body, it looked good.[/quote]

Coach Defranco?
wanna give me a link or something

[quote]caselorance wrote:
PHGN wrote:
Wrestling muscles… Huh ?! If you don’t wrestle with your whole body you’re in trouble. The most important muscles in wrestling are in the posterior chain even though everything is important.

Then you don’t need to “simulate”, lifting weight (especially for legs) using squats, DL’s, power cleans, GHR, unilateral lower work, chins will do the trick, then use it all on the mat. I remember seeing a template used by Coach Defranco for his wrestler that focused on ME pulling for upper body, it looked good.

Coach Defranco?
wanna give me a link or something[/quote]

No problem:

www.google.com

[quote]caselorance wrote:
PHGN wrote:
Wrestling muscles… Huh ?! If you don’t wrestle with your whole body you’re in trouble. The most important muscles in wrestling are in the posterior chain even though everything is important.

Then you don’t need to “simulate”, lifting weight (especially for legs) using squats, DL’s, power cleans, GHR, unilateral lower work, chins will do the trick, then use it all on the mat. I remember seeing a template used by Coach Defranco for his wrestler that focused on ME pulling for upper body, it looked good.

Coach Defranco?
wanna give me a link or something[/quote]

www.defrancostraining.com

IMO this should be the core of what you do.

back squat
bulgarian split squat
dead lift
A heavy row (vary grip and plane)
Chin ups
dumbbell bench
dumbell overhead press
Shrugs more for grip then traps.

your grip will be #1, someone else will chime in for grip work but farmers walks, thick bar work is king, try chins holding a towel draped over the bar.

Aren’t you the same guy that was starving himself to get skinny legs?

I wrestle college, and I can personally say for the most part, trying to train “sport specific” movements is retarded; get strong. Generally speaking anyways, the NROL sort of template laid out 6 basic movements is really all most things are comprised of anyways (pushing something, pulling something, squatting, lunging, twisting, and deadlifting (call it picking something off the ground if you must); in some sense a leg shot is a lunge with a pulling movement; if you shoot a double and pick the guy up, it becomes a squat…etc. but I think this sort of simplification is dumb.

Get better at wrestling by wrestling. Use the weight room to improve your strength (and conditioning, ie complexes, muscular endurance work, sandbag work, et al.). However, I would suggest a few things with regard to wrestling:
strong grip emphasis
strong legs, esp. posterior chain
dynamic full body movements (c+j, snatch, push press, all variations of the above, jump squat etc.)
isometrics in wrestling style positions (i would say here, doing isometric bent over rows isnt bad for gutwrenches, say, isometric standing eye level cable curls to simulate collar ties) etc.

finally, something important to consider is mixing protocols per se; wrestling requires excellent technique, strategy, strength, power, flexibility, endurance etc.
should you be training these items separately or together? ie. is high speed intense drilling the best cardio you can do or is it going to make your technique sloppy? is doing higher rep weights a good idea with your weight room time…should you maybe focus on strength there and work endurance another time?

im not sure of the answer to that question, but i generally think other than complex type stuff which i consider more ESW training and not at all weights, you should spend your strength training time focussing on just strength and power, and train you anaerobic endurance, aerobic endurance, flexibility and especially technique outside the weight room. most importantly, focus on wrestling. i know weak, unconditioned wrestlers that are plain awesome because they are good at wrestling, and guys in great shape who pull plate after plate who get destroyed because, they suck.
just my two cents.

Dear god, there’s actually a T-Nation member that not only doesn’t train legs, but openly admits to it?

[quote]caselorance wrote:
<<< and i said inneffective more so b/c i read that on an athletic training forum in the past
it said something like
“sure doing shoulder flys and tricep extensions would be great to increase your shotput, but doing effective simulation workouts that triggered exact muscle fibers would be even more complimentary”

[/quote]

I’ll reiterate that I have zero experience with training for something like wrestling, but I do have some understanding of how the body operates in general.

I don’t now about this “exact” muscle fiber targeting thing. Number one because I have reservations about whether, in the case of something like shot putting, anything other than shot putting itself will have an “exact” fiber for fiber recruitment.

Number two, in the case of something like wrestling or MMA with a grappling emphasis, there are a practically infinite number of ways that just about any muscle in the body could be called into action thus making “exact” fiber targeting irrelevant.

Assuming the accuracy of that last statement then any exercise that makes you stronger anywhere and in any way is useful for a full body sport like wrestling.

This all just seems logical to me and I’m musing out loud waiting for my beloved Red Wings to beat up on Edmonton. Feel free to disregard everything I’m saying as it’s pretty much off the cuff.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Aren’t you the same guy that was starving himself to get skinny legs?[/quote]

Exactly. I’m out of here.