T Nation

Wrestling In HS Getting Too Serious

I am a high school wrestler, and my goal has always been to reach and win the state’s in Ohio. But I have trained with other teams in Ohio to find there dedication levels are much higher then mine or my team as a whole. They put in 2 a days when we’d rather go run around town. I am currently a 3 sport athlete do you think it would be smart to put all my strength training and focus on one sport or keep doing 3 sports and just see what happens.

you need to train year round to be successful in wrestling, off season you should drill 2-3 times a week and get as strong and flexible as you can. If you can fit that in with your other activities then go nuts. Do you plan to wrestle in college?

I think the best advice you can get comes from the actions of Dan Gable. The day after he went undefeated and un-scored on in the summer Olympics he dressed up in full sweats to mow his lawn, then went to a 3 hour practice.

Do not let up for a second and always strive to be better tomorrow than you are today.

If you can, go train with the other teams that are at a higher level than you. Surround yourself with the best and with hard work you will follow.

Best of luck.

I guess it depends on how far you want to take your wrestling, I played 3 sports in highschool as well and didn’t wrestle afterwards, or win a state title for that matter.

It is one of those sports that requires a high degree of dedication and hard work. I enjoyed football and baseball as well so I don’t regret the path I took, but in order to be a state champ in Ohio, you’d probably have to drop one of the other two sports you play and focus on wrestling.

I’m a sophomore in high school right now (also ohio) and I decided to give up football so I could focus more on wrestling even though I started on the football team. Most people think I’m crazy that I like wrestling more than football.

But, I have a passion for it that I don’t have for football. Unless you’ve been wrestling since five years old, you need to only wrestle to become a state champ in order to get enough experience.

Dan Gable was a beast and one hell of a hard worker and I know damn sure that is the most important thing in life. Where are you from in Ohio mms. How far did you go Are you possibly in the Seoal. I do go to open mats and put a mat in my basement.

But sometimes I get to be a pussy and it just becomes to much when I’d rather eat a ton of food, pump alot of iron and hit on chics. And I play three sports to be competive in my school. I supposed I could drop a fall sport. I appreciate everyone’s help on this subject.

Edit: I didn’t cover all my bases thank you shieldss for the luck that is good advice. Like Arnold said “god gives you 24 hours in a day I simply made the most of those 24 hours”. And I plan on trying to go to Ohio Univesity in Athens to either play baseall or wrestle it’s an ambitous goal, but I can also settle for a D3 or D2 school if they’ll help pay for my schooling.

I would say it depends on what the other sports are and how much you care about each.

If you want to focus on wrestling and just do some other things like baseball for fun then i’m sure you could get away with it. Just make sure you keep training for wrestling in mind at baseball practice and take it easy, not give it 100% and do more wrestling style conditioning and lifting after baseball, or perhaps in the morning.

There is a good chapter about his in Dan Johns online book http://danjohn.org/book.html

I’ll definity take a look at that book then thanks for the help.

I live in cincinnati. This is only my second year wrestling (I’m a sophomore). But, I know I can compete with the best of them if I wrestle enough in the off season.

I know that if I could back to high school, I would play on just about every team that would have me.

mms hopefully I’ll see you at districts this year. What weight class are you. Gunslinger that is a good philosophy its alot of fun to play everything and you become friends with just about everybody except for the thesbians.

[quote]shieldss wrote:
I think the best advice you can get comes from the actions of Dan Gable. The day after he went undefeated and un-scored on in the summer Olympics he dressed up in full sweats to mow his lawn, then went to a 3 hour practice.
Best of luck.[/quote]

I love that story. What a machine.

As far as putting in the time, my senior year I was putting in 2, 3, and once a week 4 a days 6 days a week. Drilling became my life. On wednesdays we would have morning conditioning/lifting, practice 2:30-5, then I would drill while the local club was there 7-8, and then drive to NJ for Drillmasters that night.

I took third in the NYS championship that year, but in all fairness, I lost to Troy Nickerson…

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
I took third in the NYS championship that year, but in all fairness, I lost to Troy Nickerson…[/quote]

No shame in that.

[quote]mrw173 wrote:
threewhitelights wrote:
I took third in the NYS championship that year, but in all fairness, I lost to Troy Nickerson…

No shame in that.[/quote]

No shame unless you see the video.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
mrw173 wrote:
threewhitelights wrote:

No shame in that.

No shame unless you see the video.[/quote]

Haha, true. I lost to a few state champs, etc. when I was in high school, so I know what it’s like to get thrown around. Not fun.